• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC commitment now 5 years

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Clarification - if you are a current 3C on scholarship are you grandfathered to the current 4 and 4?
Yes. This affects mids who swear in starting next year.

Make sure you keep your paper work that indicates your commitment. I have personally witnessed and I recall there being a couple stories on this board of the Navy "forgetting" what the commitment was and trying to keep people in for the extra year(s).

Kyoowashugi

Make sure you keep your paper work that indicates your commitment. I have personally witnessed and I recall there being a couple stories on this board of the Navy "forgetting" what the commitment was and trying to keep people in for the extra year(s).

My intent is to stay active for the full 8 years, but that's good advice - I'll get copies on Monday.

Huggy Bear

pilot
To those that already took the scholarship and signed the dotted line it seems like a breach of contract to me; like they just changed the rules of the game in the middle of the game. I'll caveat that with I don't remember what I signed as I was a mid many moons ago in an era called 'the nineties'. As a pilot wannabe it wouldn't have mattered to me at the time anyway. However now, as a contract reading civilian looking out for number one, I would fight the power on this one.

Kyoowashugi

To those that already took the scholarship and signed the dotted line it seems like a breach of contract to me; like they just changed the rules of the game in the middle of the game. I'll caveat that with I don't remember what I signed as I was a mid many moons ago in an era called 'the nineties'. As a pilot wannabe it wouldn't have mattered to me at the time anyway. However now, as a contract reading civilian looking out for number one, I would fight the power on this one.

That's why it only applies to MIDN who sign contracts starting in 2010, sir. ;)

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd still take a look at it. I remember after I joined ROTC our unit said the altered the MIDN contract wrt medical reasons. Basically, it used to be if you were a mid and had committed, but then got kicked out on medical reasons beyond your control (ie something that didn't relate to a prior medical condition or something that resulted of your own negligence) then you wouldn't have to pay back your money. Apparently they changed it to something that basically said you had to pay back your money no matter what. I personally know of two people from my ROTC unit who developed weird ass medical conditions that got them kicked out of the program and now they are fighting the Navy not to pay back the tuition.

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
RE aligning ROTC to USNA...

Well, not quite. Perhaps they ought to reconsider the difference between one year before needing to commit in NROTC vs two @ USNA. Clearly a supply and demand issue, but don't tell me they are now in line w/ each other...

boobcheese

Is there an officer equivalent of an EAOS? It would be nice if you could view it on BOL or your ESR like you can as enlisted to avoid any confusion or correct an error early on.

Kyoowashugi

Re aligning ROTC to USNA...

Well, not quite. Perhaps they ought to reconsider the difference between one year before needing to commit in NROTC vs two @ USNA. Clearly a supply and demand issue, but don't tell me they are now in line w/ each other...

They asked about that in the same survey - I wouldn't be surprised if that was coming up as well.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It seems that they SHOULDN'T be the same. USNA is a true "full-ride." Granted, you pay it back by having it shoved up your ass a nickel at the time, but the government is actually laying out more money for the Naval Academy education. NROTC costs the government less money, so should have a shorter obligation and fewer stipulations.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
I understand the line about recouping rising tuition rates... but it's funny how the new commitment is five years... and so is the nuke commitment!

navy09

None
There's no way this can make a significant difference. It only effects SWOs, who generally spend their 5th year of service on shore duty working very comfortable hours while raking in LT pay.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
It seems that they SHOULDN'T be the same. USNA is a true "full-ride."

How so? I remember there was that initial entry payment required (several thousand or you took out a loan), plus we had to pay for all our books, uniforms, supplies.

I was under the impression that those things were all paid for ROTC guys?

Kyoowashugi

How so? I remember there was that initial entry payment required (several thousand or you took out a loan), plus we had to pay for all our books, uniforms, supplies.

I was under the impression that those things were all paid for ROTC guys?

Room and board is not generally covered, textbooks generally (at least for my major) cost well in excess of the $375 we get, and we have to pay for uniforms if we don't want utter CRAP.

Not that it isn't a great deal - just saying, there are definitely significant expenses.

Daisy

There are some colleges/universities that offer additional money to NROTC students beyond what the scholarship itself covers.

http://www.slideshare.net/robwong4/nrotc-guide-2010

Item 13 (page 19) on the slideshow lists the universities and what is offered.

For example, Holy Cross offers free room and board and Carnegie-Mellon offers free room and board on a case by case basis.