• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Cades: Please help me out

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, I'd like to thank you guys for your advice. I'm not at school yet, but I want to be on top of things before I talk to my recruiter so that I can get things moving as soon as possible.
EOD Dave, the reason I'm not too enthused about BDCP is that I'll bomb the PRT, especially the swim test. That's one thing I've never had the opportunity to get into, but I look forward to doing that in college/ROTC. However, I think I will apply, since i figure it won't hurt to be going for SNA from two angles.
To tie this in with my API thread, I went to another doctor who owes my parents a few so I asked him to look me over to see if I could perform athletically in "vigorous cardiovascular exercises such as cross country skiing." In other words, I was subtly asking, can I fly? He went through all the checkups, and he didn't even hear the heart condition, so I doubt the NAMI doctors will either. I'm getting blood and other internal work results later, but so far, only concern is a high b.p. Don't know if it's high bp or hypertension, but some exercise should bring it down.
Again, thanks for all the help guys. It's much appreciated.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev & EODDave,
Nicely put....Couldn't have said it any better!
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

kaysee

Dear Vegita, just jumping in here. You said that you weren't sure about BDCP b/c of PRT. But although they ask you if you can swim this amt in these types of strokes and if you can swim underwater for 50 m, they don't actually do a swim test to put in with the application. They test running, p.u., and s.u. and send in those scores. I wouldn't let prt stop you, heck you got into cornell so you should be able to do this. Like was EOD Dave said about choosing your slot and knowing before you go, that is a great incentive with BDCP. Because if there's only one type of slot you want to enter, go for that one. (although others would say if you want to be a naval officer, you should want to do any type which works for some). And correct me if I'm wrong about this, but with NROTC, don't they just put you into anything unless you are specifically engineering or something like that?

If your family has money to have you go to cornell for the first year, i'd get citizenship, apply for BDCP so they can pay for the next 3 years, and although you may not do great on PRT the first time, as long as you make minimum you can turn in app, and if you get denied, apply again within that year. You have a year, you can get into shape if that's what you really want. My recruiter here would go with a couple of guys that just graduated from OCS to go wake this one guy up who was totally out of shape and work out with him. Your recruiter already sounds positive, and should help give advice about working out, etc.

I understand your sentiment about cornell...I say if your parents can pay for it for the first year, GO FOR IT! College isn't about just getting a degree, but the things you're introduced to, esp. your first two years there, academically and socially. By the way, I didn't know how to swim, and took classes my first year at my univ, and now I'm great. I also didn't start working out until then either, you will definitely enjoy the benefits of putting physical fitness as one of your first priorities.

GOOD LUCK!

manny7_99

vegita,

you will not receive a scholarship(or receive advanced standing for that matter) unless you are a citizen. you may expedite your citizen by enlisting and at the same time qualify for more nomination sources to USNA(besides senators,congressman and Vice.) Don't go to Cornell if you can't afford it, rather save your parents some money and keep the door to the Academy open(just my opinion.) Hope it helps, Good luck

zilber

pilot
If you know that you have the grades to get accepted to NROTC Cornell, then you should put up $15,000 and go there, especially since you have been accepted (it is a very hard school to get into). Once you get commissioned, you should not have any problems paying the loan off.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
vegita1220 said:
I picked Cornell b/c
a)it's a good school
b)I live in NY-that's 5K in grants right there
c)Cornell is rich and I'm stinking poor so they're giving me 20K in grants. That 25K right there. Of course, 40-25=15 so thats 15K left for me to deal with.

That's a good call, I know someone mentioned a bunch of other state schools, but as someone who grew up in upstate New York, SUNY will run you about 10-12 grand. Out of state publics like others mentioned will probably cost you more than 15K a year. What people don't understand, is that they immediately think public is cheaper than private, but private schools have way more funds than public schools for need-based aid. My brother went to Princeton, and it cost less than what my bill was for Penn State.

Furthermore, what are you interested in studying in cornell? If you really just want to be a pilot, you could major is something from one of the public departments at Cornell, which is actually cheaper than if you majored in something from the private department. However, I have heard from people who went there, if you major in something from the public department, and take too many courses in the private area for electives, they'll slam you with the private bill.

For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, Cornell is made up of 7 colleges, 3 of which are run by SUNY.

(sorry for the long post)

http://admissions.cornell.edu/finaid/#cost

Ehehe, the advice is appreciated but it's a bit too late. I put this up an year ago. I'm already at Cornell and in the College Program.

And yeah, the public schools at Cornell are sweet for the mids. You get the Ivy name, easier(supposedly) classes, high HOT girl to guy ratio, cheap tuition, and your Nav Sci classes count towards graduation.

Status
Not open for further replies.