• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Applicant

Will_T

Will_T
I just spoke with my Officer Recruiter, and he told me that 1) my academic part of the appl. looked solid, and 2) I should send a LOR from my NHS advisor to show what recent leadership positions I have taken on. Any one agree? disagree? with #2.
Thanks.

*EDIT: I have emailed the ROTC units of every school/unit I've applied to, and currently, the Virginia Tech, Boston University and George Washington University units are full or "about the normal amount received". It looks like Holy Cross and RPI are all that are left before I must start looking at College Program.*

Will_T

Will_T
As an update, I received my nrotc packet today, lots of paperwork to fill out, but it is another step towards my goal. The time until O-week is slowly winding down, and school is just about done now, so I'm looking forward to the next couple of months. Boston here I come!
Will.

Will_T

Will_T
No, I didn't get it, but I am going college program and I have to fill out a lot of paperwork. I am hoping to work my ass off, do my best, and pick up a 3.5 year or 3 year scholarship though.

Lucky 8

Not to be a downer (and I hope I’m wrong) but don’t expect to pick up the scholarship easily or quickly. The Navy is strapped for money right now and the scholarships are not flying around for CP’s to grab like a few years back. We’ve only had one CP that I can remember pick up scholarship at Auburn in the past 2 years. The best advice I can give you is to keep your grades and PT scores as high as possible, get involved with your unit, and make sure your officers know and respect you. Obviously this is good advice for any 4/C but especially for you since you’ll be competing with 20 or so people for maybe 1 or 2 scholarships. Most units are good about getting alumni or university scholarships; just make sure you’re at the top to receive them. Best of luck!

NavyMominOhio

Contributor
Check into BDCP also. Really great, relatively unknown program. I believe you could apply in 2nd year of college. I'm a BU grad also---the campus is MUCH better than when I attended. Boston is A+ for college students. Leave the Yankees cap at home & all the best to you.

Will_T

Will_T
Lucky 8, thanks, and I'm fully aware of the money issue (bad timing I guess, but beyond me control none-the-less), my goal is to beat every other CP'er, but I should have a good feel for how I am doing after the first year. I think I made a really good impression on the recruiting officer, and have continued to do so with the quick turnaround on my application/medical stuff. I cant wait to get involved at the unit, and if need be, advanced standing would suit me just fine (if it means skipping OCS). And to tell you the truth, I'm not doing much worse money wise compared to the scholarship students due to grants from the school and federal loans.
Thanks again Lucky 8.

Navymom, BDCP can be applied for as far as 36 months from graduation for tech. majors (mech. engineering for me), so I will certainly be looking into that. I figure if I can't pick up a nrotc scholarship, I can say that I already have basic military training, and am committed to the Navy, which I think would be important. And as for the yankees hat, its coming with me. Thank again.

Will.

WEGL12

VT-28
Lucky 8, thanks, and I'm fully aware of the money issue (bad timing I guess, but beyond me control none-the-less), my goal is to beat every other CP'er, but I should have a good feel for how I am doing after the first year. I think I made a really good impression on the recruiting officer, and have continued to do so with the quick turnaround on my application/medical stuff. I cant wait to get involved at the unit, and if need be, advanced standing would suit me just fine (if it means skipping OCS). And to tell you the truth, I'm not doing much worse money wise compared to the scholarship students due to grants from the school and federal loans.
Thanks again Lucky 8.

Navymom, BDCP can be applied for as far as 36 months from graduation for tech. majors (mech. engineering for me), so I will certainly be looking into that. I figure if I can't pick up a nrotc scholarship, I can say that I already have basic military training, and am committed to the Navy, which I think would be important. And as for the yankees hat, its coming with me. Thank again.

Will.

Will_T,
Lucky 8 brings up a very good point about the funding. However, the CP budget could change by the end of next year. The only things you can do are get good grades, high pt score, participate in unit functions, etc... If you do everything possible you will never have to look back and think what if I did this or that different.
I personally felt the effects of the budget cuts for NROTC. I applied for an in-house scholarship at Auburn University this past spring (Tweeddale Scholarship). This isn’t exactly like the CP scholarships since I am not a member of the unit yet. The CO nominated me for the scholarship but said I had very little chance of the scholarship being approved because of funding issues. Two weeks later, the recruiting officer called me and I was informed there wasn’t any money available and to look into other options. I applied for BDCP shortly after. The same day I had my application of BDCP processed, I received another call from the Auburn NROTC recruiting officer. Somehow enough funding was available to fund a few scholarships and I was lucky enough to have my nomination approved. Now I am just waiting for August so I can attend the orientation for the unit. So maybe the funding is starting to open back up. But at the least never give up, if NROTC doesn’t work out look at BDCP or OCS. Hope this helps in some way.

Lucky 8,
I noticed you are a member of the Auburn NROTC unit. Just wondering what you thought of the unit? Like I said above, I will be joining the unit this fall and would like to get you opinion of the unit. Thanks.

Will_T

Will_T
Citadel, I hope it changes, I would love to be able to sign my name on the dotted line and make it official, plus, I'd love to go on the summer cruises.
But then again, its not up to me, and all I can do is all I can do. Hope it works out for you.

Lucky 8

Citadel,
I've enjoyed my time at AU. For the most part the staff/midn/priors are all great people. We're pretty active with organizations for every service community (look into NASA) and intramural sports. Hope you love football,its king at Auburn. WAR EAGLE!

Will_T

Will_T
Got my room assignment, I'll be less then a tenth of a mile from the unit. One step closer to livin' the dream.

Will_T

Will_T
Well, I'm leaving tomorrow for some fun in the sun at newport.
I'll see you guys on the other side, and thanks for all the help up to this point.

AirAggie92

I was accepted to the college program as well, and I'm really excited. Who knows, maybe a scholarship will come later.