• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC after service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navy Swimmer02

Can you still get a 2 or 3 year NROTC scholarship after enlisted Naval service? I already have some college experience, and when my enlistment is complete I would like to go back to school and become an officer. I am aware of the STA-21 program, and I am pursuing that first. However, if I am not accepted I would like to know if I can just get a scholarship once my enlistment is over.

??? If you're talking ROTC, I'm quite sure that it won't be a problem. In other words, I think you can apply normally if you want. If you've already got a school in mind, I'd recommend talking to the unit directly though. I know College Program is open to anyone but I can't say for certain about the regular scholarship.
But from what I've seen, we've got a former enlisted nuke school dude in my unit...those guys generally get excused from the freshmen BS(makes sense) but you're gonna have to deal with getting transfer credits etc depending on where you decide to finish college. Good luck.

Navy Swimmer02

Yeah, I used live in Oklahoma city and would like to go to the University of Oklahoma's NROTC unit(Go Sooners!!!) after my enlistment is complete. I have 46 credits from a cross town school (University of Central Oklahoma)were all but 3 of my credits transfer. I just dont want to finish my enlistment and then realize that I missed many golden oppotunities. I kinda want to get a plan going right now, so I dont have to worry too much about it when the time comes. thanks for the info.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why don't you apply for the STA-21 program? It's a great way to go to school and the Navy pays for $10K per year for school. If that is not an option, apply directly for an NROTC scholarship via the NROTC website (https://www.nrotc.navy.mil) whne you have less than a year before your EAOS. Good luck.
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
I am pretty sure the only program you can get while on active duty is STA-21. To go just plain ROTC you would have to be discharged.

Navy Swimmer02

yes I realize that I would have to be discharged from the Navy before I applied for a NROTC scholarship. However, once I am discharged I will be 25 years old, and most NROTC units require that you be able to complete your degree and be commissioned prior to your 27th birthday. That may be a problem for me. Also I saw that age waivers can be obtained for prior military service. Which Im assuming would include me. But I wasnt for sure. Has anyone done this? or know anyone who has? just let me know. And yes I will be appling for the STA-21 program. However my ACT and SAT scores are not too attractive. I just took both of them again this month so we'll see how it turns out. I hear that the STA-21 program is hard to get into. What kinda of scores and other things are they looking for?

Oh you're worried about age. Don't worry, the guy we've got is a real geezer, made PO 1st class before he got out and I hear he's in his late 20s.

Dude got more precise info for you. Our prior enlisted guy happens to be 26 yrs old exactly, and took online courses while he was enlisted so that he currently has second semester sophomore standing at my university. Don't know if that helps.

Navy Swimmer02

yeah, that kinda sheds some light on the picture. How do you manage a full-time navy job with online or just regular college couorses? I have 46 hours already. that should help me some, i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.