• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC 2 yr Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

punavy

Anyone know if the two year program is strictly for those with scholarships, or can you participate in NROTC in the 2 yr program (for those with two yrs of college done already) without a scholarship?

jason12

You can in fact participate in the NROTC and still earn your commission, having only attended 2 years, provided they are your last 2 years of school that is.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I'll be finishing up my sophomore year at the end of this semester, and I was wondering if there were any NROTC units around me with the Marine Option, that I might could get into at the start of next fall. I will have 2 years of school left then. Only catch is, there isn't a unit at my school (TN Tech), so I would have to go to a campus with NROTC. Is this even possible? Prolly isnt cause you have stuff like daily PT and things like that. Just thought that I would ask. Thanks.

Maverick: "Slider... (sniff sniff)... you stink."
- Lt. Pete Mitchell, Top Gun -

kabttu

Originally posted by EA-6B1
I'll be finishing up my sophomore year at the end of this semester, and I was wondering if there were any NROTC units around me with the Marine Option, that I might could get into at the start of next fall. I will have 2 years of school left then. Only catch is, there isn't a unit at my school (TN Tech), so I would have to go to a campus with NROTC. Is this even possible? Prolly isnt cause you have stuff like daily PT and things like that. Just thought that I would ask. Thanks.

Maverick: "Slider... (sniff sniff)... you stink."
- Lt. Pete Mitchell, Top Gun -

hey, i go to tn tech too..i shot you a PM, feel free to email me. as far as NROTC in TN though..i believe only vanderbilt has it, but if you go to TSU or belmont you can attend it.

kevin

Phiman

There is a 2yr option for NROTC, and you don't have to be Scholarship you can be College Program (Non-scholarship). You will to go to NSI (Naval Science Institute) in Newport, RI for 6 weeks to catch up on what all you missed during the first two years of NROTC but after that you report to your unit as a MIDN 2/C. As far as units in TN, I have no idea. Try to contact the Recruiting Officer in the nearest NROTC Command and they can get the ball rolling as far as getting you more gouge/applying for NSI.

punavy

I spoke with an ROTC recruiter today on campus about the two year program. He said that to be competitive for selection for a scholarship for two year, you would need a 3.5... Does anyone know how competitive a 3.04 would be just to be admitted into the two year program, not neccessarily a scholarship? I have a few things going for me despite the fact that I have a low gpa, such as community service (volunteer EMT) and leadership (capt./treasurer of the university lacrosse club), however, he did not even ask if I had any extra curricular things... I really want to get into the ROTC, the scholarship is not as important to me as getting admitted... Am I a competitve applicant to get into the two year program?

Phiman

It's competitive, but it's not impossible. Give it a shot, what's the worst that can happen? They say no, and if you are sure you want to be an officer you just go to OCS. Definitely give it a shot though.

Agent00JP

I thought about the two year route for AFROTC at Clemson, but even without a scholarship you are committed bc they pay you a stipend. The major kicker is that it is VERY hard to get a pilot slot through the two year program (AF) bc so much depends on your CO's recommendation. It would have been virtually impossible for me to have become Cadet Commander and the only two cadets selected for pilot at the end of my junior year had been Commander and one was an AF Pilot's son. Most of those trying for pilot got NAV and they were committed bc they took money. BTW, my AFOQT scores were in the 90s (way higher than those selected for pilot), but bc of the two year program's limitations I wouldn't have gotten a pilot slot. During my Senior year the AF came out with a brochure limiting the afsc list you can qualify for under the 2 year deal and pilot WAS NOT on it. Boy am I glad I decided to keep the ball in my court rather than letting the AF decide what they would like for me to do. So the moral is if you want to be a pilot, skip the 2year program and spend every second you would have spent in ROTC getting flight experience, practicing the ASTB and studying hard for your classes. Make sure you hold the cards and have some leverage. Otherwise, the first time "the needs of the Navy" will impact you may be on your designator, rather than your aircraft selection after Primary.

Just my $.02

JP

"Whether you think you can or cannot, you are probably right."
-Henry Ford

www.Fly-Navy.com

Phiman

AFROTC and NROTC service selection are not one and the same. Just because someone wouldn't necessarily get a pilot slot in the AF doesn't mean he wouldn't get a slot in the Navy. I say go for it. Stats say it is easier to get a pilot slot through ROTC than OCS, but thats just what I've been told.

Agent00JP

Actually, Phiman, what I was saying in regards to your telling punavy to "give it a shot" was to take caution in doing so bc the worst that could happen may not be that they say no. It would be much worse for someone wanting to become a NA to go that route only to find out it would not accommodate that designator, don't you agree? One could end up with an 8-year committment in another field. It may be easier to get an aviation designator through ROTC (I personally want to SEE the stats bc that's exactly the crap the AFROTC cadre fed me), but the risk of the two year program pushed me to the OCS route and worked just fine.

SNA Sources of Commission (as % of total)
USNA 40%
NROTC 40%
OCS 20%

JP

"I have not yet begun to fight! "
-John Paul Jones

www.Fly-Navy.com

jason12

well ok...i stand corrected...at least i might...i don't know but i'd like to find out the actual truth...I just called the NROTC office of the college i'm gonna transfer to and he said you aren't eligible for the college NROTC program unless you signed up in your sophmore year....but you're eligible for the 2 year scholarship if you've just started your junior year...what the hell is that??? you can't enroll when you're a junior without the scholarship or what?!?! basically i want to know this....I'm gonna be a Junior can i still join the NROTC in fall when i'm a junior or can i only join if i get the scholarship?

Dave_A

(I personally want to SEE the stats bc that's exactly the crap the AFROTC cadre fed me)

Heh...

As for the AF and flying, I new a few zero-time upper-class cadets with pilot slots (not all of them, but some) when I was an AFROTC cadet... On the OTS side, even the local officer recruter told me that there's no such thing as a zero-hour OTS pilot-selectee... So there's at least some truth to the ROTC vs OTS thing on the AF side... Their 2 yr program takes anyone in their last 2yrs, so long as said individual is in a technical major (Engineering, Comp Sci, 'Hard' Science, or (sometimes) MIS). These standards, however, varied by need (if your local Det runs low on cadets, they will be more accomidating with 'special' entry procedures. Mine was (I almost re-joined AFROTC & went to grad school instead of applying for OTS. Fortunately I didn't, as that would have been an expensive dead-end)...). Don't know about NROTC, as I graduated before I got DQed (bad DP) by the AF, but it *should* be similar.

Oh well...

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
is there a limit to getting the scholarship except the gpa and the age? b/c i just finished my first year, and finally chose a major... except, i may be graduating in 4 more years (b/c my major is now chemistry.) after i go to school and get my associates (3rd year), will then still grant me a 2yr nrotc scholarship?

Status
Not open for further replies.