• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NPQ'd for being allergic to cashews

Status
Not open for further replies.

iworgan

I just found out I am not physically qualified for PLC combined, due to being allergic to cashews. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? My pft score was a 292 and I passed the air test. The OSO told me that the review board accepted my application pending a medical waiver from a doctor. The doctors at Kaiser, here in Los Angeles won't do it. Has anyone out had any similar experience? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Pretty much an allergy to any food or bee stings will get you NPQ'd for good from what I have seen.

JoeAE2005

What about allergies to pollin? I am mildly allergic to pollin. Basically for one week out of the year I will start sneezing. But it's never been bad enough to take medication for.

-Joe

ghost_ttu

I believe MY answer to that would be "I have no allergies"

Eliminate distractions, focus on your goals and visualize what you hope to accomplish.

farkle84

pollin usually causes everyone a little discomfort. i am pretty sure the only way you would be NPQ's is if you are on medicine for it or will have an allergic reaction when in contact with the substance. i would check the NAMI website and see if there is anything about this topic though.

kabttu

What about allegies to medicine? I'm allergic to peniccilin(spelling?) Does it even matter since I'm not going aviation?

jwnole

I am also allergic to pennicillin, amoxicillin, and several others. I was at NAMI a couple of weeks ago and gave them that info and they had NO problem with that. My guess is that it is harder to keep certain foods out of your system than drugs and that is why they NPQ you. Good Luck with your waiver iworgan.

-jw

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I, like JoeAE2005 and many others, am allergic to pollen sometimes. I say sometimes cause I've never been officially diagnosed of being allergic to pollen. Just sometimes in the spring I start getting congested and sneezing. I've been given allegra to take, but I don't take it all the time. In fact, I hardly ever take it. What's the story on this? If this is going to make me NPQ'd then I'll get off the allegra. I'm curious though, why cant you just tell your OSO that you aren't allergic to anything? Problem resolved, right? I'm not allergic to ANY kind of medication, just a little sneezing when spring time comes. Can someone help me out? Thanks.

"For he who serves his fellows, is among his fellows greatest."
- Meteu -

splendid_splinter

HMLA flyer
unless you are allergic to something so bad that it will seriously hurt you if you came into contact with it... then tell everyone that asks that you are not allergic to anything. if it happens to be something like cashews, then say nothing and skip the cashews as you have all your life anyways...

the same can be said with injuries.. unless it is something that will be obvious to the examiners do not mention it. nomi is not going to run a search of all the local clinics in the country. they go by what you tell them and what they examine. so if you've had knee trouble or headaches in the past, but you're good now.. keep your mouth closed.

the key phrase to remember is, "admit nothing, deny everything, make counter accusations."

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
banghead_125.gif

Finally, someone with some common sense.
idea_125.gif

Dave

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Common sense will always prevail. Good to go guys. Thanks.

"For he who serves his fellows, is among his fellows greatest."
- Meteu -

prior0

The examiners said that you need a waiver from a physician....they didn't say a Kaiser physician. Go to a med clinic and explain to them the situation.....there's someone out there who'll give a waiver.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I had an allergic reaction once (hives all over, etc.) and all we could pinpoint it too was some fish I had eaten earlier that day. I told them I've never had that reaction again; that was all they needed to hear. If you've already told them that, or if you go to another doctor, just tell them you had the reaction once...maybe it was, maybe it wasn't the cashews, but it's not happened again. Sometimes, S*** happens and they know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.