• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NPQ'd by NOMI Today

future_sta21nfo

I just received notice from NOMI that I was not waiverable due to hypertension (high blood pressure) and that they needed additional paperwork on my PRK eye surgery. Anyone else heard anything from NOMI regarding qualification?

future_sta21nfo

What was your blood pressure when they took it?

It was borderline, on the high side of normal when the doc prescribed Zestril. It's fine now, controlled by meds. I'm sure I'd be fine controlling it with diet too, but I was never given that chance. They said if this had appeared after being accepted, it would be waiverable. I'm at a loss because STA-21 doesn't want to change my designator. I'm in to fight the good fight though!

FastMover

NFO
None
So was it above or below 140/90? If your BP is in the 130-139/85-90 area are they concerned or do they pass you as long as you are within the 140/90 limit?

I had a thread going about my BP situation a while back. I don't know if it will help with your situation or not but you may still want to see it.

When taking your pressure, try inhaling deeply and letting your breath out slowly. You may want to go to the pharmacy and buy a monitor so you can practice at your home. Good luck!

future_sta21nfo

So was it above or below 140/90? If your BP is in the 130-139/85-90 area are they concerned or do they pass you as long as you are within the 140/90 limit?

I had a thread going about my BP situation a while back. I don't know if it will help with your situation or not but you may still want to see it.

When taking your pressure, try inhaling deeply and letting your breath out slowly. You may want to go to the pharmacy and buy a monitor so you can practice at your home. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate the help!

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
They said if this had appeared after being accepted, it would be waiverable.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. What difference does it make if it was discovered before or after? If it's a waiverable condition they should give you a waiver!

I'm at a loss because STA-21 doesn't want to change my designator. I'm in to fight the good fight though!

Rightfully they don't have to. It's in black and white that if you are NPQ'd for the program which you have been selected then you lose your spot. That's why they select a pool of alternates. I wish you the best of luck though!

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. What difference does it make if it was discovered before or after? If it's a waiverable condition they should give you a waiver!

It's just the way it goes. There are some things that NOMI is willing to waiver for someone who is already in the pipeline vice someone who hasn't gotten accepted yet.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
It's just the way it goes. There are some things that NOMI is willing to waiver .....
In the "good ol' days" there was a disqualification for "EXTREME WRETCHEDNESS" .... I wonder what that meant? :)

How'd you like to be disqualified for that, now????

77255561ua4.jpg

SuccessStory

FY08 STA-21 SNFO SELECT
I just received notice from NOMI that I was not waiverable due to hypertension (high blood pressure) and that they needed additional paperwork on my PRK eye surgery. Anyone else heard anything from NOMI regarding qualification?
I really hate to hear that man. I wish you the best of luck in your battle to stay in the program. I don't know what i would do if that happened to me at this point.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

If you go back to just about every other post about NAMI I've made, you'll see that there's a difference between applicants and those that are designated. NAMI doesn't consider you designated until after you've made it past their physical while awaiting API. I can attest to this first hand. It's retarded, but so is much of Navy Medicine (Feddoc excluded, of course).

future_sta21nfo

If you go back to just about every other post about NAMI I've made, you'll see that there's a difference between applicants and those that are designated. NAMI doesn't consider you designated until after you've made it past their physical while awaiting API. I can attest to this first hand. It's retarded, but so is much of Navy Medicine (Feddoc excluded, of course).

Well, got some clairification from my PCM today. I had told the flight physician that I had high blood pressure, and that's why I was taking Lisinopril. Come to find out, I don't have high blood pressure, and because the flight physician never saw my actual medical record, and went off of what I told him, he didn't know any better. According to my PCM, I have had instances of "elevated blood pressure" that does not require medication and he is fully confident that it can be controlled by diet and exercise (like 6 miles a day isn't enough). According to NOMI waiver guidelines, any high blood pressure REQUIRING medication is not waiverable. It says that high blood pressure controlled by lifestyle changes does not need a waiver. Had my PCM write a letter stating all this, and emailed it to NOMI. He said that he would resubmit my paperwork for reevaluation. I hope this takes care of it, and my stupidity for telling them I had something that I THOUGHT I had!

About the designator...I can't blame them either, but had just hoped that they would throw me at the top of the alternates list for another option, but was told to reapply next year instead...there were no open billets.

I'm one of those people who believes that things happen for a reason, so if I'm out, maybe the person to take my spot really needs this more than I do right now. It's hard to stay positive when you've worked so hard to get somewhere. Anyone who is in CORE want to switch billets with me?! (HA!)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Well, got some clairification from my PCM today. I had told the flight physician that I had high blood pressure, and that's why I was taking Lisinopril. Come to find out, I don't have high blood pressure, and because the flight physician never saw my actual medical record, and went off of what I told him, he didn't know any better. According to my PCM, I have had instances of "elevated blood pressure" that does not require medication and he is fully confident that it can be controlled by diet and exercise (like 6 miles a day isn't enough). According to NOMI waiver guidelines, any high blood pressure REQUIRING medication is not waiverable. It says that high blood pressure controlled by lifestyle changes does not need a waiver. Had my PCM write a letter stating all this, and emailed it to NOMI. He said that he would resubmit my paperwork for reevaluation. I hope this takes care of it, and my stupidity for telling them I had something that I THOUGHT I had!

About the designator...I can't blame them either, but had just hoped that they would throw me at the top of the alternates list for another option, but was told to reapply next year instead...there were no open billets.

I'm one of those people who believes that things happen for a reason, so if I'm out, maybe the person to take my spot really needs this more than I do right now. It's hard to stay positive when you've worked so hard to get somewhere. Anyone who is in CORE want to switch billets with me?! (HA!)

I guess you learned an important lesson all of us can learn from. When talking with a FS, STFU and only answer questions that they ask with minimal information!:D

But seriously, best of luck with this, and I hope it works out well for you.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What was your blood pressure that they took at your physical?

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
I guess you learned an important lesson all of us can learn from. When talking with a FS, STFU and only answer questions that they ask with minimal information!:D

As a naval aviator, I wouldn't admit to a flight surgeon that I was dead even if I was six feet underground. Their only impact to your status is to ground you.