• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NPQ for aviation. What other designator should I choose?

Beefalo

The tactical side of IW sounds pretty interesting. As an IW do you get a chance to serve as division officer or is it mostly staff duty? As a junior IW officer qualifying at one of the big NIOC are you a division officer or are you part of a large pool of other JO's without divisions? SWO-IW sounds interesting as I like the thought of being a division officer on a smallboy but for the long term would it be better just to go IW? NavyOffRec which selection board is more competitive; SWO-IW or IW?

I posted for some help at Sailorbob and many of the officers there were very helpful so it looks like I should be able to get a SWO interview in time.

exNavyOffRec

The tactical side of IW sounds pretty interesting. As an IW do you get a chance to serve as division officer or is it mostly staff duty? As a junior IW officer qualifying at one of the big NIOC are you a division officer or are you part of a large pool of other JO's without divisions? SWO-IW sounds interesting as I like the thought of being a division officer on a smallboy but for the long term would it be better just to go IW? NavyOffRec which selection board is more competitive; SWO-IW or IW?

I posted for some help at Sailorbob and many of the officers there were very helpful so it looks like I should be able to get a SWO interview in time.

How competitive each one is hard to tell, and here is why, remember a few of my post about the IDC board doing what they want, well on the past several boards people have been selected for IDC designators they didn't submit for, if you put Intel but you would be better as IW they would select you for IW, so you could put in for IW and end up getting picked for SWO IW.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The IW community loves the warrior spirit & mentality that prior SWOs bring to IW. That probably why they like the SWO-IW option for new accessions.

-ea6bflyr ;)

exNavyOffRec

That's true. Having guys that have that type of experience is key and important to us.

Do you see a lot of lateral transfers from SWO? If the IW community likes the experience SWO's bring then wouldn't it be beneficial to increase the number of SWO-IW OCS accessions from the average of say 4 to a much more larger number?

exNavyOffRec

We do but we actually see more lat transfers from the NFO community. I think the relatively low numbers are due to the fact it's so new. We actually needed more lat transfers for awhile. We tend to have our prior enlisted retire as LTs so the lat transfers are more useful in filling the gap. We are 101% manned to O-4 so I'm surprised the accession numbers aren't lower.

The numbers have steadily been dropping for IW, FY12 was 37 and FY13 is 14, who knows what it will be FY14.

Beefalo

Well I may switch one of my choices from SWO-IW to IW based on that info. Thats interesting most of IW laterals come from NFO. It seems like aviation is the happiest community in the Navy.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Well I may switch one of my choices from SWO-IW to IW based on that info. Thats interesting most of IW laterals come from NFO. It seems like aviation is the happiest community in the Navy.
They probably don't switch because they are unhappy. Many probably switch after being NPQed, they're platform is being phased out or the numbers are being reduced, or they just find flying is not their cup of tea. There is a NFO on the site (but he hasn't been around lately) that recently left flying for that reason. From his posts love his squadron and community but he just didn't do as well flying as he thought he would.

Beefalo

Makes sense. I understand alot of the URL officers go RL due to medical reasons.

So I understand as a SWO you will be in constant formal leadership positions i.e. division officer, dept head, XO, CO. What about as an IW? As an IW how often and where are the opportunities to lead a group of Sailors? Being in positions as WCS and LPO I have enjoyed the challenges and interactions associated with leading and mentoring Sailors.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Other reason to LAT TRANS from NFO/Pilot/etc: Didn't get the right tickets punched to continue to COMMANDER/COMMAND.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I You will not do a tactical job until you go do a national job.

National does not equal tactical....have we forgotten our levels of war? :)

If you go to a NIOC, you could be a NIOC Det OIC where you will do IO planning and stand a tactical watch (e.g.: IWWO or IOWO).

-ea6bflyr ;)