• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NPC/Millington Suffers Major (Catastrophic) Flood Damage

Bevo16

pilot
I hope that none of you are expecting orders anytime soon, because Millington is Tango Uniform now and for the foreseeable future.

We have had some extreme weather here all day, with areas in and around Millington getting in excess of 10 inches of rain during the day, with 5-8 more expected overnight. The building that I work in has gotten off easy, we only have about 2 feet of water in the first deck. Not only are our servers f'd, but the majority of the base's servers are in Wood Hall, which has 4-5 feet of water in it. Goetch Hall (Pers-8, etc) reportedly has 5 feet of water in it, and the Whitten building where most of the BUPERS codes are located has between 1-4 feet of water (depending on reports, I have not seen that one with my own eyes).

There are vehicles on base that were left for the weekend that are totally underwater and very few buildings are going to escape some kind of flood damage.

It seems that the cause (other than the high level of rainfall) is a levy failure in the Shelby Forrest along the Mississippi. The storm draining system runs through that system, and when the levy burst, the river (and all of the pressure from it) is flowing backward through the drainage system. Water was shooting out of the storm drains up to 4 feet in the air.

The top priority now is looking after the basic needs of base personnel, as both officer and enlisted on base housing has been evacuated. The north side gym is a humanitarian relief shelter and families are being bussed to local hotels.

The reports that I got earlier is that it is going to take at least a week to get the power back on, and that clock does not start until the water goes down. Right now, it's going up.

Our COOP plans are going to be put to the test. Right now, I think that Navy Casualty is in good shape. Be careful out there though.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Any idea what effect this would have on those of us currently executing existing PCS orders? Regardless, eally sorry to hear about this, I hope you and your family are okay

Bevo16

pilot
If you are already have orders in hand and are on the road, it probably won't have any effect. If you are expecting the detailer to cut orders in the next week, or two, or four, I would expect a delay.

I am not a detailer, but I know that most of those guys (especially at Pers 43) have a file in their e-mail for everyone in their community. If that data gets lost, all of the ongoing "negotiations" will be gone. I am not saying that's the case, but it could be.

jtmedli

pilot
I hope that none of you are expecting orders anytime soon, because Millington is Tango Uniform now and for the foreseeable future.

Wow...that's a bad deal. Will this affect orders to OCS for those of us that have been selected or are those generated from another source?

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Bevo, my thoughts are with you, your family, and everyone else up there.

Bevo16

pilot
I would be talking out of my 6 o'clock position if I tried to speculate on each department. Right now, as in this second, there is a tornado on the ground about a mile from the base, so that's what they are most worried about. They are getting poured on, and damage assessments will not even get started until tomorrow at the earliest.

I am run Navy Casualty Operations and Navy/Marine Corps Mortuary, so we are going to focus on our continuity of operations plan. Most (all) of those decisions are going to be made above my pay grade.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
My thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours Bevo. I hope you guys stay safe down there. Coming from Kansas, I know how floods and tornadoes make for a bad mix.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
On a lighter note, at least you're well armed should law and order break down and you are forced to defend the house/neighborhood/town. Right?

Bevo16

pilot
Luckily, I live about 20 miles southeast of Millington, and there is no flooding here yet. The thought of looting (that some people would do it, not that I was considering it myself) did run across my mind when I was driving up Hwy 51 through Millington this afternoon. There are thousands of people out of their homes up there, and that kind of thing does happen. It is going to be interesting to see how it plays out.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
Thoughts and prayers for all of you in TN. I had no idea it was getting that bad. I'll plan on leaving PERS alone for a few weeks :) and I'll try to avoid TN on my way to SC for house hunting.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Guess I'm not getting my orders this week then, but getting everything back up there obviously is key. Good luck and stay safe. I was looking at pictures of the floods in Nashville last night and I saw one road about .5 miles from where I lived when I was stashed about 4 feet underwater. Insane.

hawkeyeHandler

Sergio Kontek
pilot
Thoughts and prayers to everyone up there. On a selfish note, hope this doesn't delay the ADHSB. Mother Nature and Murphy are conspiring even when we are NOT flying.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Thought it was bad back in late 80's going through AW A-school there when all the rescue swimmers would swim in the parking lot w/ their SAR gear (fins, mask, snorkel), but this appears to be just a bit deeper...

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Spectacular.

Wow...I never realized how low the base sat. I wonder how many cars are soaked in the BEQ/BOQ lot right now....I thought the area where the "sail" is between NPC and the "Board Building" was set up alittle...apparently I was wrong...