• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Not accepted :(

sbpilot

If someone doesnt necessarily need the scholarship, would it be more beneficial to avoid the risk of getting selected other than SNA through NROTC, and just go into BDCP as an "sna select" already? (I think thats how it works)

Not sure if I worded that correctly..

Also, is it common to see mids go through the college program the entire 4 years? Would there be any disadvantages (besides missing out on cruises) to going that non-scholarship route?

Thanks and sorry for the threadjack

BigRed389

None
If someone doesnt necessarily need the scholarship, would it be more beneficial to avoid the risk of getting selected other than SNA through NROTC, and just go into BDCP as an "sna select" already? (I think thats how it works)

Not sure if I worded that correctly..

Also, is it common to see mids go through the college program the entire 4 years? Would there be any disadvantages (besides missing out on cruises) to going that non-scholarship route?

Thanks and sorry for the threadjack

I would think that's a personal call. If you're willing to serve URL other than aviation, and just want to be a naval officer, period, then ROTC is your best bet.

With BDCP, you also get more options, since you can go Supply, Intel, etc.

Then you could also weigh the two based on monetary benefits...

And of course, all else being equal, do you wanna spread taking crap over 4 years, or cram it all into a few months?

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
I just got my denial letter today as well. Like everyone else has been saying, shake it off and look forward. I'm already planning on calling the NROTC unit at my school in the next week to get the ball rolling. You have so many opportunities left, don't sweat it.

Its funny how my little brother got denied the NROTC scholarship as well, but received his appointment to USNA yesterday. System of smoke and mirrors I tell ya.

Brfuga32

My friend in in the same situation as well. He got accepted to the USAFA and got the worst Air Force ROTC schoarship, type 7

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Its funny how my little brother got denied the NROTC scholarship as well, but received his appointment to USNA yesterday. System of smoke and mirrors I tell ya.

Things happen. I had the same issue when I was applying. NROTC turned me down but USNA said yes (eventually). It turned out to be an admin problem on my app, which a phone call to NPA fixed. Apparently being 8 out of 40 in a magnet program wasn't good enough for them. Too bad most of that forty was in the top 50 of a class of over 200.

Huggy Bear

pilot
Sorry to hear that. Same thing happened to me. But, I joined college program and eventually picked up a three year scholarship. It wasn't easy, I was the only one of 12 college program types to get it. I went to summer orientation, was their honor grad, worked hard to kick ass on the prt, retook the sat's to bump my 1100+ score into the 1300s, tried hard at all the midn stuff, participated heavily in sailing, and worked hard to get A's that first semester. I'm not tooting my horn, just trying to say that if I can do it anyone can. You'll find that a lot of the scholarship recipients are cerebral nerdy types who look good on paper, but don't do well in real life. Half of them dropped out by the end of freshman year. The rest, well, they are some of my best friends. Good luck!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Welcome to the club, college programmers!

I was in your shoes almost a year. It was in April last year where I was denied a scholarship. Yes I was bummed out (lets be honest- free tuition helps alot), but I wanted to be a Naval Officer regardless so I came to the University of Texas NROTC unit as a college programmer.

My first semester I put forth as much effort as possible: volunteering for numerous events, improving my PRT scores (from good-med to excellent-low), seeing the NROTC tutor/ taking advantage of office hours, avoiding doing stupid things, and demonstrating leadership. All this work drained me at the end (I was burned out in the beginning of winter break), but it all paid off. The next semester I was picked up for a Leadership Scholarship (check with your unit about this) and as I speak im on scholarship.

Another word of advice is to try to stand out among the others. Stand out to where the unit staff knows who you are (in a good way of course).

Keep working, it will pay off.

The_Commodore

Pavement sucks
Sorry for you, man. I got denied on my birthday, that was real fun. I just plan to do NROTC and bust my ass off this fall and shoot for some kind of scholarship. You should too.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I was in a similar situation as Rufio. I applied to USNA for my last eligible time and wasn't really thinking about NROTC. I joined my unit really as a way to look better to USNA. When I got shot down by the academy my CO gave me the leadership scholarship.

Each unit CO gets one scholarship per year that they can give arbitrarily to whomever they want. So if for what ever reason CNET turns you down, but the CO sees that you are working hard and are motivated you still have a chance.

You just have to be John Locked On and volunteer for everything you can.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot

It's been 33 years, but I was turned down for the ROTC scholarship about a week before I received my USNA appointment. Amazingly enough, a week after my USNA appointment, I received a letter telling me that I had been selected for the ROTC scholarship after a further review of my package. Assholes.

ROTC would have been fun. It sucked going to College Park or Georgetown looking for chicks in the mid-70's with short hair.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
DC in 70s

ROTC would have been fun. It sucked going to College Park or Georgetown looking for chicks in the mid-70's with short hair.

Well, it sucked (at least in terms of getting positive female reaction) going to College Park with a shaved head (twice due to PLC JR/SR) and working in a Georgetown restaurant where they wanted me to wear a wig until my hair grew out. Today, shaved heads are in vogue....when working in Pentagon in late 70s after commissioning, we were not allowed to wear uniforms to work due to protesters being outside on regular basis. Felt like I was in Prep school or something wearing a Navy Blue Blazer and khaki pants to work. Different times for sure.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, it sucked (at least in terms of getting positive female reaction) going to College Park with a shaved head (twice due to PLC JR/SR) and working in a Georgetown restaurant where they wanted me to wear a wig until my hair grew out. Today, shaved heads are in vogue....when working in Pentagon in late 70s after commissioning, we were not allowed to wear uniforms to work due to protesters being outside on regular basis. Felt like I was in Prep school or something wearing a Navy Blue Blazer and khaki pants to work. Different times for sure.

They are still there regularly, especially on big days for them (start of OIF etc). They have to stay behind the fence next to the Metro entrance and not confront anyone or they get arrested (I have seen the Pentagon Police arrest teh ones who step out of line). Sometimes it is 3 or 4 and sometimes it is a couple of dozen. The only other thing I saw was one f our new USAF O-5's got confronted by an aging hippie gal as he stepped out of the Metro station on his first day, they quickly arrested her.......

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They are still there regularly, especially on big days for them (start of OIF etc). They have to stay behind the fence next to the Metro entrance and not confront anyone or they get arrested (I have seen the Pentagon Police arrest teh ones who step out of line). Sometimes it is 3 or 4 and sometimes it is a couple of dozen. The only other thing I saw was one f our new USAF O-5's got confronted by an aging hippie gal as he stepped out of the Metro station on his first day, they quickly arrested her.......

We had them at each entrance so you had to walk a gauntlet of signs and taunting protesters AND because the Metro unloaded folks into the mall concourse area, which was then open to the public, they would stroll around in there wearing death masks and sometimes throwing blood on those they saw in uniform. Most of this was orchestrated by a local radical Catholic Priest.