• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Norfolk area STA-21 Selectees

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
How much is a 3bdr with garage and preferably fenced yard going to run per month in the Norfolk area?

mh53eflyguy

Stashed...again.
How much is a 3bdr with garage and preferably fenced yard going to run per month in the Norfolk area?

You would be looking at a baseline of about $200K-$250K for a mortgage, but if you are looking to rent, it would be around $900-$1300.
I would recommend looking on the Penninsula (Hampton, Newport News) because it is cheaper. Norfolk, Virginia Beach and Chesapeake are expensive, and I wouldn't recommend Portsmouth to my worst enemies. It might be cheaper over there but you'll probably not enjoy the high crime rate over there.
Chesapeake and Virginia Beach are beautiful, but pricey.

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
You would be looking at a baseline of about $200K-$250K for a mortgage, but if you are looking to rent, it would be around $900-$1300.
I would recommend looking on the Penninsula (Hampton, Newport News) because it is cheaper. Norfolk, Virginia Beach and Chesapeake are expensive, and I wouldn't recommend Portsmouth to my worst enemies. It might be cheaper over there but you'll probably not enjoy the high crime rate over there.
Chesapeake and Virginia Beach are beautiful, but pricey.

This is good gouge, but if you want a NICE house in that price range and you don't mind a bit of a commute, I would highly recommend looking at Suffolk. I bought a house out there that fits your needs: 3br, 2b, 1 car garage and fenced in backyard for just under $220K. The commute is about 25 minutes to ODU and probably more like 45+ to Hampton U. but the area is beautiful and property values are always rising out there because it is a continuously growing area. Just an FYI...

mh53eflyguy

Stashed...again.
This is good gouge, but if you want a NICE house in that price range and you don't mind a bit of a commute, I would highly recommend looking at Suffolk. I bought a house out there that fits your needs: 3br, 2b, 1 car garage and fenced in backyard for just under $220K. The commute is about 25 minutes to ODU and probably more like 45+ to Hampton U. but the area is beautiful and property values are always rising out there because it is a continuously growing area. Just an FYI...

Yes! Thanks for that! I forgot Suffolk! Just to piggy-back, it is a longer commute, but it is cheaper. If you are budget minded, the Hampton/Newport News side and Suffolk are cheaper. Some people dread the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel, but the reality is, it's the best kept secret that the commute out the back gate through the tunnel is usually no longer that 10 or 15 minutes on most days, sometimes when someone wrecks it will back up for longer, but It's not that bad.
Most days after peak commuting hours (aka rush hour) the tunnel usually does not have a delay.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
I looked up my BAH for the zip there. ~1400 I like nice and all (will deffinately make the wife happy) but all I really care about is a yard and a garage. I wish I didn't have to get it all done in just a year or I'd for sure be considering buying something (I've bought and sold everywhere except out here in Hawaii), good money in real estate if you get in and out at the right times. But 12 months is waaay too short a time frame. So I'll be renting.

haubby

None
Contributor
I have no idea the housing costs on the peninsula, but in VA Beach, Chespeake $1400 will not get you very far. You could get a very nice apt for that price or maybe a townhouse. A good friend of mine just rented her house for something like $2400 a month out in Chesapeake to give you an idea.

This is one of the reasons I decided to move for school. I'm torn with prospect of leaving VA. Soo many reasons to stay, yet soo many reasons to leave. If I stay here, I def could not keep my place I have now with the loss of my sub pay. Granted I'm sure I could make do but thats not alot of beer money at the end of the month. But I could go to Ames, IA and live pretty nice for what I'd make even with the loss of the sub pay.

I did email Ed today about when my orders would be cut. He said the request would be sent to BUPERS momentarily. Only reason I emailed was that once orders were cut, my choice was final. I can be pretty fickle at times so best ensure that Iowa was my final decision.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Anyone have dogs and know of a good kennel in the Hampton/Norfolk area? I'm moving with two dogs and want to place them someplace when we arrive and are looking for a place to live.

k_smittay

Anyone have dogs and know of a good kennel in the Hampton/Norfolk area? I'm moving with two dogs and want to place them someplace when we arrive and are looking for a place to live.

Holly Ridge manor.

It is a GREAT kennel. A few more dollars per day than most, but worth the money. It isn't just a regular dog kennel in a large bay with a ton of "cells" seperating the dogs with chain link. Each dog has there own little space with cement walls so they don't see eachother. It is quiet in the kennel and they have a comfy bed to sleep on. Definetely worth the look!

mh53eflyguy

Stashed...again.
Ok, I got a card in the mail today from Hampton University saying that I have not been granted admission because my college transcript is not complete (I am still taking classes at ERAU). The four classes I am taking do not show a final grade yet (halfway through the semester). I'll see what Capt. Stubbs can do, maybe there is something on his end that can help out.

This is the issue that I was having with ERAU. Is anyone else currently enrolled in classes and having these issues? I'm sure I'm not the only person taking classes this semester! Anyone?

Flamedog

Freshly stashed Ensign
Ok, I got a card in the mail today from Hampton University saying that I have not been granted admission because my college transcript is not complete (I am still taking classes at ERAU). The four classes I am taking do not show a final grade yet (halfway through the semester). I'll see what Capt. Stubbs can do, maybe there is something on his end that can help out.

This is the issue that I was having with ERAU. Is anyone else currently enrolled in classes and having these issues? I'm sure I'm not the only person taking classes this semester! Anyone?

It may depend on how many "in class" credits you have. I was denied admission to ODU the first time I applied (2005) because I didn't have a certain amount of credit hours from actual college classes. At the time I was 1 credit hour short of their minimum but taking 11 credit hours at TCC. The grades hadn't posted yet so they denied me. That may be the reason they didn't grant admission. Of course I wasn't accepted for STA-21 yet either so I would definetly talk to Capt. Stubbs and see if he can work something out.

mh53eflyguy

Stashed...again.
It may depend on how many "in class" credits you have. I was denied admission to ODU the first time I applied (2005) because I didn't have a certain amount of credit hours from actual college classes. At the time I was 1 credit hour short of their minimum but taking 11 credit hours at TCC. The grades hadn't posted yet so they denied me. That may be the reason they didn't grant admission. Of course I wasn't accepted for STA-21 yet either so I would definetly talk to Capt. Stubbs and see if he can work something out.

I talked with Capt. today, its a non-issue. They are taking care of it!
Now, just waiting on BUMED and NOMI........

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
I MADE FIRST CLASS TODAY!!! More money for college... What I meant to say I now get the oppurtunity for more responsibility and leadership roles!! Anyone else advance today?

user2176

STA-21 Core Selectee FY08
Contributor
I MADE FIRST CLASS TODAY!!! More money for college... What I meant to say I now get the oppurtunity for more responsibility and leadership roles!! Anyone else advance today?

2nd class for me... the advancement was about 45%... I think I should be more excited...

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
I haven't seen the complete list, because I was home asleep when the results came out. They woke me up to tell me. The rumor was nuke advancement was going to be through the roof however.