• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NOOB need advice!

Jovie

hello everyone. I have been reading around this site and it has alot of info. I was wondering if some of you could provide me some advice in applying for OCS. A little bit of my background. currently enlisted (E6). Been in the navy for 13 years. Just got my BS from Southern Illinois University (JUN08) Workforce Education and Development. I will be taking the ASTB exam on the OCT27 (littel scared:confused:). I have been working on my package and I just want to know what I have to do to be more competitive. I'm also turning 32 -JAN09 and I know I'm limited to some of the designator (shooting for INTEL or CRYPTOLOGIC). If any of you that were prior enlisted and went through my situation your advice would be greatly appreciated. Well, any little advice from anyone would be helpful too.

Well, I hope to hear from some of you. Thanks
Jovie

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Hey Jovie,
Welcome aboard...before the rest of the dickheads pile on and yell at you about the "search" function I'll give you my view
I was prior enlisted (2.5 yrs, AW2) and got into OCS at age 26...I had an Animal Science degree (3.02 GPA) and a 5/5/5 58 on the ASTB...I was shot down 2x as a civilian, and 1x as an AWAN...I got in on the 2nd try as an AW3, and had pretty good reccomendation from the skipper at VP-5. I had a good recco. from the previous skipper at VP-30...

I was picked up for an NFO slot, and picked up pilot right before API.

I can't tell you much about Intel/Crypto...although my mom was a 1600 designator (Information Proffesional) and she had a good time, I believe they also have fairly permissive age limits...

As far as competitiveness goes, the biggest thing you can change between now and submitting your app is the ASTB...there is some REALLY good gouge on this website...study that, and try to put together a really good letter for the board. Realize you will be selling yourself to a group of guys who are in the community you want to enter. Sell them on why they should let you in the farternity, what skill sets you bring, especially leadership, motivation, professionalism. Quote shit you did, but try to break it out of the Acronyms that it appears on yer Evals...

Lastly, try to get your skipper really excited about your application, so he will put the time and effort into a good letter, and not half-ass it and use the one from the last 6 guys he sent up.

Good luck,
Pickle

Jovie

thanks pickle for the fast reply and advice. I will run with that. LOR? does it have to be from O-6 and above?

jdbryan

I am enlisted Air Force applying for the Oct board. (still waiting to find out). LOR's definately help if O-6 or higher. Usually, with most commissioning boards across the branches, if you are enlisted you should have an endorsement by your commanders commander. (if that makes sense) the terms vary for all the branches, so for me, it is my group commander.
I am 31, and the three jobs that allow us oldies to apply are supply, intel, and AMDO which cutoff at 35.
One thing that is also important for us enlisted, is all of our work performance evaluations. (they may ask for last 4 or so, but all of them are even more useful, if they show consistant excellent performance.

NavyIS2

I was selected for INTEL a couple of months ago and I leave for OCS in a few weeks. Make sure you have a TS/SCI clearance (if you can get one) before applying. For Crypto unless you are a CT with a technical degree and a strong math backround you will probably be looked over (very few slots to begin with). If you really want to be an Intel officer and you are denied think about crossrating to IS and re-apply (they prefer them to other communities).

Here were my stats:

Active Duty IS2(AW)
4 years of service
AS Liberal Arts
BS Business Management (3.86 GPA)
12 Credit hours towards a Masters in Strategic Intelligence (3.7 GPA)
ASTB 48, 4, 4, 4 (my weak area, but "whole person" concept helped.)
11 Military Awards
ACFL, CPR Instructor
PRT: Outstanding High: Run: 8:04, PU: 87, CU: 107
MP's for Evals (all well above summary group average)
Strong CO’s write-up with additionally written endorsement.
Interviews: 1 CDR, 1 LCDR, 3 LT's (All intel and 10's)
LOR’s: 1 Brig Gen (Intel), 1 Counterterrorism Chief (NGA), 3 professors in (one in intelligence community), 1 Navy Captain (JAG), 1 Army Major (family friend), 1 LCDR (NFO and department head).

My motivational statement highlighting that I want to be an officer first but idealy an INTEL Officer (which is true anyway). I kept it short and to the point, explaining why I wanted it, why I'm qualified and my goals in 3 short paragraphs.

TIME LINE
Apr 2007: Started Application
June 2008: Mailed off Application
Aug 2008: PRO-REC Intel
Oct 2008: FINAL SEL Intel

Intel is tough to get selected for. What helped me is I spent over a year getting my package to where it needed to be. Take graduate courses if you need to. Good luck!

Jovie

wow! thanks guys. I guess I need to look at other designators. I'm a currently OS1 which work with IS's and CT's (sort of). I will need to apply for SCI clearance but since 2 of my family members are still not US CITIZEN it might take longer and it might hold up my application. Also, I'm too old for the other designator. I'm very open and will take what is available that pretains to my experience and rate. I think I have enough motivation and experience to learn new stuff and succeed on anything that's thrown at me which navy taught me. My thing is, I'm trying reach the highest goal I can whether ENLISTED OR OFFICER side while I'm in the navy. So, if you have any reccomendations that would be great. Thanks again guys for all your advise. if you have more, keep it coming.