• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Noise Levels inside aircraft?

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
I am trying to find out what the typical noise level is inside naval aircraft. I have flown on P-3s, and know first hand that the noise levels can reach up to 90 decibels. What could one expect the noise levels to be inside, say, a Hornet or Growler?

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
I can't give you any hard data on decibles, but anecdotally with a helmet and ear plugs, the noise level is very manageable and doesn't make me uncomfortable. I wear foamies under my helmet instead of CEPs. With the foamies it's quiet enough and they don't impede me from hearing the radios or any of the litany of tones/voices the jet has. Someone else may be able to give you a number but double hearing protection is a must.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
The engines aren't as loud as you may think, all the sound is behind you. I feel like the air moving over the cockpit and the wings is louder than the motors.

However, after spending 1500 hours in a helo...I can't hear shit anyway. It's definitely not that loud.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I took my helmet off a few times in the Prowler and it was LOUD, a lot louder than the NAV station on a P-3 even when the FE is messing with the props.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
I can't give you any hard data on decibles, but anecdotally with a helmet and ear plugs, the noise level is very manageable and doesn't make me uncomfortable. I wear foamies under my helmet instead of CEPs. With the foamies it's quiet enough and they don't impede me from hearing the radios or any of the litany of tones/voices the jet has. Someone else may be able to give you a number but double hearing protection is a must.

Interesting. It all makes sense as far is it being manageable, but it was something I just happened to think about.

The engines aren't as loud as you may think, all the sound is behind you. I feel like the air moving over the cockpit and the wings is louder than the motors.

However, after spending 1500 hours in a helo...I can't hear shit anyway. It's definitely not that loud.

Helo's are another aircraft I was wondering about, but I don't think I will ever end up on one of those (unless I happen to be in an emergency :eek:).

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
In the hornee' the noise isn't at all the motors. Charlie guys know what I'm talking about because you have cycled both gens and the battery off with the motors running to clear basically anything, generally to the detriment of everything else that wasn't previously broken. Anyway, once the avionics cooling fan and electrical busses are off, the noise is almost imperceptible. It's all the electronic gear and ECS stuff that makes the noise and even that is not noticeable with a helmet and foamies in

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can't give you a decibel level for the Harrier, but it is ungodly loud in the cockpit without proper protection. If you've ever been forward of the wing on a turning Harrier, you've heard the high pitch whine it makes. It's certainly no quieter in the cockpit. It's louder in front of the motor and the cockpit is pretty much RIGHT THERE.

I've taken my helmet off in both the T-45 and the Harrier. I remember the T-45 being a little loud, but the Harrier is painfully loud... like holding your mouth open and cringing loud.

With molded or foamy CEPs and a helmet, it's still perceptibly loud. Tinnitus is part of the job unfortunately.

Lawman

None
The Army has taken a novel approach to hearing loss.... They arent qualifying it as disability anymore. Boeing has also published a paper saying that our hearing protection in the 64 is inadiquate due to the frequency of the sound not just the dB level. The back seaters head is 5 feet from a Transmission, 2 engines, and 2 nose gear boxes that make a whole lot of high pitch racket. Ive had to take my helmet off a few times in flight for issues.... dont ever want to do that again.

These are out of the Army Aero Medical Manual.

dB Levels.JPG Helmet dB levels.JPG

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I have tinnitus...it's from the transmission whine/squeal/screech in the -60. Absolutely the loudest part of the helo.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
The P-3 isn't terrible, but the problem is duration. Long missions with that drone will cause problems. I always wore ear plugs though. That being said, I think my tinnitus was caused by a Metallica concert a couple years ago.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
The Army has taken a novel approach to hearing loss.... They arent qualifying it as disability anymore. Boeing has also published a paper saying that our hearing protection in the 64 is inadiquate due to the frequency of the sound not just the dB level. The back seaters head is 5 feet from a Transmission, 2 engines, and 2 nose gear boxes that make a whole lot of high pitch racket. Ive had to take my helmet off a few times in flight for issues.... dont ever want to do that again.

These are out of the Army Aero Medical Manual.

View attachment 14242 View attachment 14243

Wow, that is loud. Even with the hearing protection on the chart.