• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No2 Supplements

navyboy4415

So my roommate and I have been lifting for the past year or so and he recently purchased NO2. If you have not heard of NO2, it is a muscle supplement that provides more oxygen to the muscles. NO2 also contains crealtine (water bonds to the muscle making the muscle look bigger). Once he started taking the supplement he has gone up in weights exponentially and to be quite honest I am thinking of purchasing the supplement. Now there are a few questions I have.
First: What are you opinions on using supplements?
Secondly: Are supplements such as NO2, protein, or crealtine illegal in the Navy? (I was recently Pro Rec'd and I don't want to do anything to jeopardize my commission)
Thirdly: Will taking this help on my running time or will it hurt it? (if it will hurt my run time theres no way in hell I want to use it)

snake020

Contributor
I have not heard of NO2. I've used creatine before and it was never conclusive on whether it helped. The Navy in general shouldn't have a problem with creatine, dunno about NO2.

However, if you want to fly I would stay away from supplements. Here's NOMI's waiver guide entry on creatine:

http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/W.../Waiver Guide Complete - 14 November 2006.pdf

Creatine
Background: Although creatine came onto the scene as a performance promoter for the physically active individual, there are several questions about performance gains and safety that preclude it being authorized for general use in aircrew at this time.

As for protein supplements, follow the link. Aeromed guys have a lot of discussion about it depending on how you're supplementing.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
NO2 actually doesn't have creatine in it. CE2, which is made by the same company, does. Your friend is probably taking the two at the same time, which is suggested by the company. The NO2 actually prevents the water bonding of creatine, and keeps you from adding water weight.

I've taken NO2 & CE2 and would suggest taking them. They helped me recover a lot faster from workouts. The only thing is that you need to have very intense workouts in order for it to work well. Also, when you do take these you need to stay well hydrated or else you destroy any effects the supplements may have. Also, I suggest Muscle Milk highly if you are trying to add sheer muscle. NO2 & CE2 are not particularly good at that.

Junior

pilot
Crealtine? Do you mean creatine? I know for a fact creatine is prohibited for use by anyone in a flight status. Also, they say all supplements have to be approved by the flight surgeon. Be smart.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
The manufacturer of NO2 'does not recommend' that people taking this product participate in activities that may result in large, potentially rapid changes of ambient pressure (i.e.: flying, SCUBA) for a minimum of 48 hours after taking it. The reasoning being that the product essentially causes larger than normal amounts of nitrogen to enter solution in the blood. The last I heard, there was no official ban on using the stuff while in a flight status, but my information is at least a year or two old.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I'll tell him that slammer. :icon_rage

haha just playing. One of my co-workers at the bar that I bounce at uses the NOXplode stuff. I'm not sure if thats the same or not but he swears by that stuff. I've never tried it but have heard great things from him.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
So is creatine and NOX and that type stuff a no-no for us BDCPers? I have avoided creatine in anticipation of my next piss test because I wasn't sure.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
It is not a prohibited substance that will "pop" on a piss test. If it was, half the Marine Corps would be getting hit on it probably.

Article on L-Arginine (the principle ingredient in NO2 products such as NO2, NOXplode, etc...)

Creatine does not have any negative side-effects. It is found naturally in all different meat products, and your body produces it naturally. The only caution is to ensure you are drinking enough water, because your muscles will take in more water with Creatine.

Article on Creatine

joboy_2.0

Contributor
It is not a prohibited substance that will "pop" on a piss test. If it was, half the Marine Corps would be getting hit on it probably.

Article on L-Arginine (the principle ingredient in NO2 products such as NO2, NOXplode, etc...)

Creatine does not have any negative side-effects. It is found naturally in all different meat products, and your body produces it naturally. The only caution is to ensure you are drinking enough water, because your muscles will take in more water with Creatine.

Article on Creatine

Oh believe me. I know all about creatine and L-Arginine. Unlike most people, I read a LOT of books on body building and nutrition before actually starting. I figured it would be difficult to determine creatine supplementation, because if you had a large enough steak or something before the test, you could set it off. Good to know. I'll go pick up some creatine tonight. :D

joboy_2.0

Contributor
Can anyone tell me of a credible study which suggests that NO2 works?

A lot of information/articles I've read on NO2 is anecdotal and causal at best. It may work, or it may just coincide with something else that works when successful people use it. I always thought it can't hurt. Being a vaso-dilator, I figure increasing blood flow is certainly beneficial during times of muscular and cardiovascular work. Is this faulty logic?

The journal of sports medicine and physical fitness has done extensive studies and analyses on creatine. Perhaps they have studied NO2 as well?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
A lot of information/articles I've read on NO2 is anecdotal and causal at best. It may work, or it may just coincide with something else that works when successful people use it. I always thought it can't hurt.

Being a vaso-dilator, I figure increasing blood flow is certainly beneficial during times of muscular and cardiovascular work. Is this faulty logic?

2. The journal of sports medicine and physical fitness has done extensive studies and analyses on creatine. Perhaps they have studied NO2 as well?

1. Yes, because you assume that NO2 is a vaso-dilator. You will probably see greater benefits from caffiene, which is a proven vaso-dilator.

2. They have.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Can anyone tell me of a credible study which suggests that NO2 works?
I'm outta' my league here, but my wife (a trainer) said Baylor University did a double-blind, placebo test of NO2 in 2004 or 2005 which produced significant performance increases and affirmed the safety of NO2. She said something to the effect of "it's hard to use properly to gain real results --- requires lots of discipline" ... ???

Again, I personally know nothing .... :eek: