• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No weapons for E-4 and below on watch

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
So when an ensign shoots himself in the leg, will the ship's captain be standing on the catwalk with a 9mm?

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
More rent-a-cops, fewer MAs, condition three carry, fewer officers/enlisted packing heat while on "watch", heavy restrictions on privately owned firearms on base...a small band of rednecks could invade a military installation if they really wanted to.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
On many levels this is completely asinine. First, it creates a large burden on senior Es and Os that now there are fewer people who can stand a watch... how proficient are we as a Navy as a whole with fireams (EOD and SEAL types excluded)? I have had zip point shit weapon training, and that's pretty sad I think as a member of the military. If incidents like this suggest that our people aren't to be trusted with weapons, why isn't there a bigger push for a thorough weapons qual for everyone at accession?

The Navy been pretty terrible with weapons qualifications, so this isn't surprising at all. I wonder if it will dawn on them that the NKO weapons course in place of actual classroom safety instruction prior to handling weapons is a big part of the problem... probably not. Every time I had a pistol qual, I had to do an NKO safety course for the M9 even though I was getting the qual on the M11.

As for you- you should consider yourself lucky that they grudgingly trust you with a com box... nothing like the blindest, most uncoordinated, member of the crew playing with their weapon seven feet away from the back of your head during transit to give you a warm fuzzy. Thankfully they child proof the magazines.

BigRed389

None
4 out of 5 incidents going back 1 year were M240 related. Considering there are less M240s up at any time than any other weapon on a ship(including the other CSW, the M2), I'd say the problem is pretty obvious.

For somebody who has a clue how the M240 works, it is pretty hard to have an ND. However, for a sailor who handled the M240 for the first time a year ago, is "PQS qualified", and has only handled closed bolt weapons since, it is pretty confusing.

Add the fact the officers who own shipboard CSWs (WEPS/GUNNOs) have probably never shot a CSW in their entire naval career, and who could not tell you the Condition Codes, load/unload procedures, or perform a dis/assembly, and you've set them up for failure. IMHO.

BigRed389

None
If officers and chiefs have little, if any, more small arms experience than the junior sailors, what good is a rank-based policy like this?

Perhaps a policy of not handling weapons unless one has fired said weapon in the past year might be more appropriate, but then again, perhaps there wouldn't be enough sailors to stand watch with that in place. Maybe not being able to stand watch until one has completed "weapons safety" on NKO! :icon_tong

It's been over ten years since the Cole incident, which should have woken up big Navy to the need for qualified individuals to guard ships. Guess inertia is more powerful than operational necessity. But at least these sailors have all likely logged a couple hundred hours of EEO and driving safety classes. I'm sure AQ will be deterred by our proficiency in those!

A surface ship doesn't need a damn range to achieve minimal proficiency among its crew--sail out to a Warning Area and shoot at silhouettes off the fantail. Do a shoot during every underway period. Problem solved.

There actually are sustainment training requirements. However, when the only documentation Big Navy wants from the ship is a piece of paper signed by the GMC saying that SN Shmuckatelli shot, and the WEPS decides to play "see no evil, hear no evil", gundecking is too easy.

phrogpilot73

...immediate corrective actions (SPORTS)....
Slap the magazine
Pull the charging handle
Observe the chamber
Release the charging handle
Tap the forward assist
Shoot to kill

Who needs proficiency when you have Marine Corps drill instructors? I haven't used that acronym in probably a decade - but thanks to my drill instructors on Parris Island, it's burned deep, deep within my brain.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Sadly it's not just the junior enlisted who have these issues. Everyone from Aircrewman who are supposed to be proficient having ND's with M11's and .50's to an O-6 leaving a hole in a ready room chair have happened in the not too distant past.

Oh and my favorite part of the article.

"and to order ships to fully qualify their watchstanding teams."
Shouldn't you be qualified with a weapon before being handed one to stand watch with anyway? I thought that was already mandatory????

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Sadly it's not just the junior enlisted who have these issues. Everyone from Aircrewman who are supposed to be proficient having ND's with M11's and .50's to an O-6 leaving a hole in a ready room chair have happened in the not too distant past.

Oh and my favorite part of the article.

"and to order ships to fully qualify their watchstanding teams."
Shouldn't you be qualified with a weapon before being handed one to stand watch with anyway? I thought that was already mandatory????

Aircrewman? Pilots at the range are the worst :)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh Yeah?

Maybe....but we are damn well qualified in 20mm at 400 kts. when the bell rings. As the venerable A4s says - "Believe it"!:icon_tong
BzB

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot

Oh, I have no doubt about that. I was just pointing out the broad range of personnel involved. Said O-6 was a pilot. Though to the best of my knowledge so far only an aircrewman has put a hole in an aircraft from the inside out while in flight. :)

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Oh, I have no doubt about that. I was just pointing out the broad range of personnel involved. Said O-6 was a pilot. Though to the best of my knowledge so far only an aircrewman has put a hole in an aircraft from the inside out while in flight. :)

:) Would have loved to been on ICS for that one...

CAMike

None
Contributor
More rent-a-cops, fewer MAs, condition three carry, fewer officers/enlisted packing heat while on "watch", heavy restrictions on privately owned firearms on base...a small band of rednecks could invade a military installation if they really wanted to.

That's it. Rent a cops. I can see them now telling a sailor late at night coming aboard. Hey, you didn't really salute that well when you came across the brow. What's you name sailor?

Seriously- even in the modern business world knee jerk reactions to "incidents" are becoming more common place rather than the exception. It's a terrible blame everyone before something happens mentality. How about train and retrain at least twice a year?

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
If officers and chiefs have little, if any, more small arms experience than the junior sailors, what good is a rank-based policy like this?

Forcing more senior members to be on duty during shitty watches "to supervise" motivates them to get their house in order quicker.

This is exactly it. This policy isn't about the E-4's and below, this is a lesson being taught to the leadership on these boats.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Weapons training in the Navy is a farce and we should all be professionally embarrassed by this
Brett

Yep. We got to qual with the .38 at AOCS but I didn't pick up a (Navy issued) weapon for another 4 years until ODS when we "qualed" off the fantail of the ship with the squadron's .38 Chief's Specials. The majority of us quickly put those back in the cruise box and (with CAG Fallon's approval) carried our personal weapons (still have the Argie Hi-Power I carried)

Fast forward another 5 years and we have the M11 prior to a SEA det and have to go qual at NS Anacostia at their indoor range. After the mandatory 3 hour "use of deadly force" lecture (Um, buddy if I have this in my hands and not my SV-2 believe me - deadly force is authorized! ;) ) the qual was actually pretty good. Weak hand, double tap with magazine changed, timed shoot in various light conditions, clearing stoppages with one hand, not SEAL stuff but basically good stuff.

Only time I got to qual with the M-16 was when we went to Beale and swapped a bunch of patches and ball caps for range time and at Ellsworth with a broken jet and a bored USAF range group.

Anyone who serves in any branch of the military should expect to come out with the basic capability to handle and shoot a handgun / rifle and shotgun. It's a basic skill.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....still have the Argie Hi-Power I carried....

... Anyone who serves in any branch of the military should expect to come out with the basic capability to handle and shoot a handgun / rifle and shotgun. It's a basic skill.
And I haven't seen an ARGIE-licensed Browning Hi-Power for a long, long time .... BUT:

... fuckin' A, younger Bruddah (that is a technical term, btw). ANYONE WHO SERVES IN THE U.S. MILITARY ... and does not posses a basic, inherent, came-to-the-party-with, or ... a trained-to-proficiency, learned, practiced knowledge and familiarity w/ a variety of personal small-arms ...

... should be sellin' ladies' shoes @ Nordstrom's.