• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No Waiver Needed for Contacts

MettGT

pilot
I was perusing the NOMI website and stumbled onto this:

"All classes of Naval aviation personnel shall be allowed to wear contact lenses during duty involving flight when the following requirements have been met as outlined below. A notation from the flight surgeon authorizing contact lens use is required on the aeromedical clearance notice (up-chit) NAVMED 6410/2. Contact lens use is not disqualifying. A waiver for their use is not required."

http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/pdfs/Waiver%20Guide%20-%20Ophthalmology.pdf

Seems like a big shift in policy from a few months ago. Good news if you've got contacts.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'd read a little more carefully, and hopefully wink can chime in. I'd guess that's for designated aviators, not applicants.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was perusing the NOMI website and stumbled onto this:

"All classes of Naval aviation personnel shall be allowed to wear contact lenses during duty involving flight when the following requirements have been met as outlined below. A notation from the flight surgeon authorizing contact lens use is required on the aeromedical clearance notice (up-chit) NAVMED 6410/2. Contact lens use is not disqualifying. A waiver for their use is not required."

http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/pdfs/Waiver%20Guide%20-%20Ophthalmology.pdf

Seems like a big shift in policy from a few months ago. Good news if you've got contacts.

It's quite likely that the NOMI waiver guide has not been updated to reflect the recent rescinding of the SCL waiver for accession personnel, I.E. SNA. Unless you receive indications to the contrary, I would operate under the assumption that the SCL waiver is no longer available.

Brett

MettGT

pilot
It's quite likely that the NOMI waiver guide has not been updated to reflect the recent rescinding of the SCL waiver for accession personnel, I.E. SNA. Unless you receive indications to the contrary, I would operate under the assumption that the SCL waiver is no longer available.

Brett

While the language does seem geared more for designated aviators, the NAMI site does say that the guide was last updated on March 13, 2007 so it should take into account the SCL waiver changes. Maybe someone more in the know can shed some light on this. It's a moot point for me anyway, since I've already had PRK.

SQUIDutah

pilot
Got my SCL waiver back from NOMI today. I hate reading the first two paragraphs, "Based on physcial exam on such a such date at some naval facility, PO1 Burton is not physically qualified for duty involving actual control of aircraft as a SNA due to refraction limits exceeding standards; this condition is considered permanent... more words"

Then the next paragraph says "after review, waiver is recommended for duty actually involving actual control of aircraft... more words"

I about pissed myself, then went to the fetal position in my XO's office. He just smiles, and handed me a copy of the waiver.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Got my SCL waiver back from NOMI today. I hate reading the first two paragraphs, "Based on physcial exam on such a such date at some naval facility, PO1 Burton is not physically qualified for duty involving actual control of aircraft as a SNA due to refraction limits exceeding standards; this condition is considered permanent... more words"

Then the next paragraph says "after review, waiver is recommended for duty actually involving actual control of aircraft... more words"

I about pissed myself, then went to the fetal position in my XO's office. He just smiles, and handed me a copy of the waiver.

So, the plot thickens. :D

Brett

SQUIDutah

pilot
Yeah, I was pretty excited when I found out. I just remember being told the worst thing they can say is "no".

Ace_Austin

pilot
I know how you feel man, I sent the new eye exam results to NOMI at 9, got the ok back at 11. Walked in right as it was printing off so I was the first to read it. "Blah blah.... MIDN Austin is physically qualified and areomedically suited for duty involving actual control of an aircraft as a Student Naval Aviator." If it wasn't for my CO being right there I would have gone batshite then and there. Congrats on gittin picked up.

twalton

I'm super confused about this eyesight thing. I am a ground contract for OCS this summer. My right eye is 20/60 and 20/200 in my left. Will I have to get PRK before I can switch to an air contract?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Threadjack, but has anyone waited up to 4-5 months for their NOMI waivers to come back with results?

Can we presume you have been checking to make sure your paperwork hasn't been lost somewhere? It's a big Navy and paperwork on anything can get hung up, lost, or otherwise adrift. Recommend continuous checking to limit of your ability to do so.

Lonestar155

is good to go
HEYJOE, I can assure you that my OSO has been checking weekly. Of course we get nothing. I am very limited to getting those answers personally of course, but are there any other alternatives on seeking answers? There are 2 other candidates that have been sitting in the same boat at the office. Anyways please feel free to send me a PM. Thanks for the help!