• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No Relief in Sight for the Lincoln

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broadsword2004

Yeah, I shouldn't have phrased it like that; I know you still have rights, I just mean (or thought) that as a military person, you aren't entitled to all that "right to free speech" kind of stuff that same way a civilian person can be.

But yeah, it would be the same with a corporation, if you sign a contract to keep your mouth shut, and then talk, you can get into a lot of trouble.

Put it this way, basically I meant I asked because I know as a military officer, as Schnuggapup said, you can't always open your mouth up about something, even if you strongly disagree with it, without expecting repercussions.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Broadsword2004 said:
Yeah, I shouldn't have phrased it like that; I know you still have rights, I just mean (or thought) that as a military person, you aren't entitled to all that "right to free speech" kind of stuff that same way a civilian person can be.

But yeah, it would be the same with a corporation, if you sign a contract to keep your mouth shut, and then talk, you can get into a lot of trouble.

Put it this way, basically I meant I asked because I know as a military officer, as Schnuggapup said, you can't always open your mouth up about something, even if you strongly disagree with it, without expecting repercussions.

Your freedom of speech is curtailed when in the capacity of a service member. That's how it works. Otherwise, the military wouldn't function.

That being said, if you are in private, you can say whatever the heck you want to say. You are a citizen of this country just like anyone else. One of the big things this guy did though, was he identified himself as a service member. That right there can be used against him, because it now looks like his views reflect that of the Navy's.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Your freedom of speech is curtailed when in the capacity of a service member. That's how it works. Otherwise, the military wouldn't function.

That being said, if you are in private, you can say whatever the heck you want to say. You are a citizen of this country just like anyone else. One of the big things this guy did though, was he identified himself as a service member. That right there can be used against him, because it now looks like his views reflect that of the Navy's.

Aren't we in the military 24/7, 365 days a year?

Whenever you speak in public you do so as a servicemember, whether you intend to do so in that capacity or not. On a website/forum like this is it semi private/public, so you can get away with a bit. It is probably a good practice to always think of it as being public though.

As for private discussions with your buddies, anything goes.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash said:
Aren't we in the military 24/7, 365 days a year?

Which is why I said private. When I'm talking to my friends in private, I'm not doing so in the capacity of a service member.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Which is why I said private. When I'm talking to my friends in private, I'm not doing so in the capacity of a service member.

Roger, thanks for making it crystal clear for us thick skulled types :D .

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash said:
Roger, thanks for making it crystal clear for us thick skulled types :D .

lol nah my previous post wasn't clear, I realized that from your reply.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When in the military on a military PC, such as anywhere on the Lincoln, you agree to a blurb similar to the following every time you log on...

"########## !!! WARNING !!! ##########
This is a Department of Defense (DoD) Computer System. This
computer system, including all related equipment, networks and
network devices (specifically including Internet access), are
provided only for AUTHORIZED U.S. Government use. DoD computer
systems may be monitored for all lawful purposes, including to
ensure that their use is authorized, for management of the
system, to facilitate protection against unauthorized access, and
to verify security procedures, survivability and operational
security.

Monitoring includes active attacks by authorized DoD entities to
test or verify the security of this system. During monitoring,
information may be examined, recorded, copied and used for
authorized purposes. All information, including personal
information, placed on or sent over this system may be monitored.
Use of this DoD computer system, authorized or unauthorized,
constitutes consent or monitoring of this system. Unauthorized
use collected during monitoring may be used for administrative,
criminal or adverse action. Use of this system constitutes
consent to monitoring for these purposes."

You are in 24/7 but you need to be careful how you represent yourself. You could, for example write a letter to the editor in favor of a candidate you like. But you can not sign it: John Doe, LT, USN. You can go to political rallies and the like, but not in uniform...

So there are some limitations, but mostly when you apperance in uniform or name/rank would constitute endorsement by the Navy.

Of course starting to attend some sort wacko political rallies regularly is probably gonna look bad on an SBI....

Status
Not open for further replies.