• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No more PRK waiver for SNA/SNFO?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncledave

I just got off the phone with the nearest OSO and he told me that entrance into the PRK study has already closed and that the last time he had gotten someone into Marine aviation with a waiver for a history of PRK was almost 6 months ago! Has anyone else been told this? He told me that there was a specific amount of people that were aloud into the study and that now it is all filled up. He said that he would submit my application although it would be almost useless in doing so. I know there are plenty rumors on this topic but I would like to know if anyone has recently gotten selected with a history of PRK. Thanks.

DBLang

PLC Candidate
Call NOMI, or PM reapergm, he just dealt with the same issue. My OSO told me it is pretty much here to stay but who knows.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, the wording of the study paperwork ("Evaluation of Flight Performance in Student Naval Aviators and Flight Officers after Refractive Surgery" study) I filled out back in API says:

"6. A total of 500 subjects are expected to participate in this study. Of these, 250 will be applicants for aviation pilot training and 250 for naval flight officer training. They will come from all over the United States and of diverse backgrounds. There will be graduates of the US Naval Academy, civilians, and active duty personnel."

They originally started the study with a limited vision, and, assuming good results, would expand it past the study phase. I was under the impression that they had expanded it. Either 1) they have reached their 500 person limit or 2) the OSO got bad gouge.

Go to all the sources you can, but the only one that MATTERS is NAMI/NOMI. Anything short of a waiver from them means exactly jack ****. Feel free to ask all these "pre-ocs/pre-commissioning" type guys all you want, but they don't know what they're talking about until they have a waiver and a signed study form in their hand. I have all this stuff and am almost done with primary, so you can take this as 'good' gouge.

aeronerd

Hummer guy
I heard the same thing about 8 months ago. I was final selected for SNA in December with a PRK waiver. It is obvious that the study is continuing and your recruiter has old information. Here is the email that my recruiter received directly from the Captain and Head of the Eye Department at NAMI. It was sent to my recruiter in April of last year:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

ETC Garcia,

It is true that the Navy PRK Aviation Accession Study is nearing its enrollment capacity. Navy waiver policy allowed us to recommend waiver for history of PRK in SNAs and SNFOs if enrolled in the Accession Study.

Any SNA that requires PRK was disqualified prior to the surgery due to defective distant vision or refractive error. The Study offered an opportunity to control the risk of a possible flight training performance or attrition hazard after PRK for a defined cohort of SNAs and SNFOs during the enrollment period. Analysis of Study results to scientifically guide future policy will require up to two years.

Development of interim policy recommendations is underway now. I cannot tell you what that policy will be or when it will be promulgated, but any changes will be distributed at the earliest opportunity by Navy message and on several official Navy websites.

I have never recommended that any individual undergo a surgical procedure solely to qualify for special duty. Fortunately, PRK has proven to be a safe and effective treatment of refractive error offering many general benefits for enhanced quality of life with reduced dependence on spectacles or contact lenses for clear vision. I am not aware of any upcoming change in Navy policy with respect to waiver for commissioning or non-air warfare specialty programs.

Your OC applicant should apply for any and all programs in which he is interested and which are available. We will endorse his SNA applicant physical examination according to the standards and policy that have been approved by higher authority.

reapergm

Man, I have written confirmation from the head of NAMI opthamology. I got the PRK. I have been told conflicting views. But the NAMI head, as well as local flight physicians, have given the ok. Wildflyin and stevew have both gotten it, and gone through the physical. Its too late for me now,Its done. But its simple, you wont fly unless you do get it. Thats the fact. ITs a risk, but a chance you have to take if you really want to be a pilot.

Status
Not open for further replies.