• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No More Piddle Packs?!

Redux

Sorry, I have had incidents during urinalysis where guys truly didn't understand the reasoning behind the bigger cup and didn't get the whole squat thing. Then again, these were the same guys I had to explain to them how a tampon functioned as well. :p

Just like any other cigar, right? :confused:

Delta7

Finally! A thread about piddle packs.

My favorite no sierra (not to mention joint) story about piddle packs:

There I was… on a cross country in my trusty ‘Vark. While waiting for the fuel truck to arrive and gas us up, I decided to clean out all the crap (well, not literally crap; but stuff) that had accumulated in my helmet bag. I had dumped all the contents onto a table in a waiting room in the operations building when an Army Warrant Officer helicopter pilot comes in.

He sees one of my piddle packs on the table amongst all the junk and asks what it is. I tell him it’s a piddle pack.

“Can I look at it?” he asks.

“Sure,” I tell him handing it over to him. “In fact, you can have it.”

“Wow! Thanks,” he says. You’d think I gave him the keys to my car or something.

After looking closely at the bag and getting an explanation about this indispensable piece of equipment (he wanted to know about the expandable sponge thing on the inside of the bag and the twist-ties used to close the thing up after use), he was quite impressed:

“Hell, I have to piss in my barf bag and throw it out the window of my chopper. You Air Force pukes get everything!”

Although I didn’t use them too often, those “high-tech” AF piddle packs sure made those long sorties a bit more bearable. And I sure wasn’t going to neglect to hydrate myself (as some have mentioned on this thread) in an attempt to avoid using one. Hell, how else would I have been able to recover from X-country hangovers! J

(Note: to any FAA employee lurking on this site, the above comment was completely fictional. Any resemblance to any hangover experienced during the return home from a cross-country military flight, alive or dead, is purely coincidental.)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I really think it's a supply issue. I could never get my hands on a piddle pack in my first fleet squadron. One of the O-4s grabbed the last one or two before I left on cruise. We had a stingy 7F funds manager plus, I think being on an island, made it harder to get stuff that guys on the seawall can get.

Just the other day I went down to the PRs and asked for one (after reading this thread). They had a whole box and handed me two. I guess it's good to have money. If I do ever use them, hopefully it will be "easier" than the Aquafina wide-mouthed bottle I've had to use before.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I love piss packs and use them all the time. Used 6 on one mission in Iraq last cruise. Best invention ever. Can't see the Navy getting rid of them. If they did, guys would just start using Gatorade bottles and other homemade shit.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
We used MAF bags back in the day. Made of fairly thick plastic bag and a ziploc top. Never a supply issue with MAF bags, you could find them just about anywhere.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
At the risk of appearing foolish ... has the relief tube gone the way of the dinosaur ??

If so, thank God for cyclic ops ...
:)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
At the risk of appearing foolish ... has the relief tube gone the way of the dinosaur ??

If so, thank God for cyclic ops ...
:)

Come on, A4s! If we got rid of all the piss-tubes, how would lead "bomb" -2 on crossunders?? :watching3 :D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
^ and ^^ ....

Then comes the obvious question: why would any sane person willingly drag their excrement around w/ them .... you know, if they didn't have to ... ???

Do you hand "it" over the cockpit rail along w/ your helmet bag to your eagerly waiting Plane Captain after engine shutdown ... ?? :eek::)

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
18's dont have piss tubes hence us using the bags. Not sure about other platforms. I would just put the used pack in my helmet bag and dispose of it on the way back to the RR.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Just throw it over the side after chocks and chains.

One yellow shirt got bent out of shape about it, though. Something about it being plastic or something. I wasn't really listening to him. I let him know that it was a big bag of piss, and if he would like, I'd let him dispose of it next time.

No problems after that.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Who the f*ck... still in the RAG but seems like one of the stupidest things I've ever heard..

Anyone out there actually done that?

Actually, we intentionally dehydrate ourselves before a typical 10 hr mission and try to rehydrate on the back side of the flight. Have you ever tried to manipulate a piss-bag in a 4-ship at 100' AGL on NVGs TF radar? Aint so much fun.

I still carry 3 or 4 bags per flight and fill every one of em' up. Of course some of my funniest combat stories are trying to hurriedly relieve myself before we get to the AR track and not only missing the bag, but pissing all over the MFDs and shorting one of the MFDs and an aux panel out. Made for an interesting maintenance write up.

Gatorade bottles work well too. However you have to get new ones every couple of days. I used one for two weeks straight at the beginning of OEF until the stench got to be so bad the guys in back complained.

phrogpilot73

Actually, we intentionally dehydrate ourselves before a typical 10 hr mission and try to rehydrate on the back side of the flight.
Pee, blah, blah, pee...

Seeing as how we're both Boeing guys, and I would ASS U ME that there are some similarities, are there any requirements to inspect the heads after a certain number of flight hours? We have to shutdown & inspect our heads after 8 hours. Usually it's not an issue because of how much gas we can carry - we just cold pit vice hot pit, killing two birds with one stone (although I can count on my hand the number of times our missions have stretched past 8 hours). With a refueling probe, I was just curious if/when you have to inspect the heads, and how you plan for it...

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Seeing as I was just curious if/when you have to inspect the heads, and how you plan for it...

No similiarities other than tandem rotors...plus 5 hours of gas un-refueled and our aircraft are relatively fresh from Boeing. Contrary to popular belief, a 47 isn't just a bigger 46. So no, we don't plan missions around inspections. "Customers" don't like to hear about mission limitations due to maintenance.