• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No more cold cat shots?

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Why exactly are the USN personnel wearing float coats on the field???

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Why exactly are the USN personnel wearing float coats on the field???

There were sailors in that clip?? All I saw was what appeared to be a several large puddles of seawater and a colored float coat moving mysteriously as if it was a person.

That aquaflague works AWESOME!!

KBayDog

There were sailors in that clip?? All I saw was what appeared to be a several large puddles of seawater and a colored float coat moving mysteriously as if it was a person.

That aquaflague works AWESOME!!

There were no sailors in that clip because there were no whistles or 1MC announcements at Lakehurst to tell them to wake up, eat, shit, "commence ship's work", pray, etc. Instead, they stayed huddled in their racks, in a fetal position, while the pilot waited for permission from the CJCS (or whomever has such execute authority) to light off his APU. Fortunately, the intrepid pilot knew that Lakehurst couldn't use the "we're behind PIM" excuse to cancel flight ops and commence "Pizza/Ice Cream/Nacho/Hot Dog/etc. Night" early, so he watched the parade of float coats and sipped on some non-JP5-infused water.

GroundPounder

This might be addressed in the video, but I'm unable to view it on this computer. Obviously if you have a cold shot on a carrier, you are probably going to get wet ( if not worse ). If this had malfunctioned during the test, he would have just settled down on the runway?

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
web_101218-N-0000X-001.jpg

web_101218-N-0000X-002.jpg

101218-N-0000X-002 LAKEHURST, N.J. (Dec. 18, 2010) An F/A-18E Super Hornet is launched during a test of the Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System (EMALS) at Naval Air Systems Command, Lakehurst, N.J. The Navy has used steam catapults for more than 50 years to launch aircraft from aircraft carriers. EMALS is a complete carrier-based launch system designed for Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78) and future Ford-class carriers. Newer, heavier and faster aircraft will result in launch energy requirements approaching the limits of the steam catapult, increasing maintenance on the system. The system's technology allows for a smooth acceleration at both high and low speeds, increasing the carrier's ability to launch aircraft in support of the warfighter. EMALS will provide the capability for launching all current and future carrier air wing platforms from lightweight unmanned aerial vehicles to heavy strike fighters. The first ship components are on schedule to be delivered to CVN 78 in 2011. (U.S. Navy photo/Released)

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The float coats are catapult crew member's uniform. Yellow/Green is the Cat Safety Observer (ESO - EMALS Safety Observer in this case). Green/Green is a Topside Petty Officer / CAT Crew / ABE type uniform. I guess they are must haves when wearing the aquaflage.

I hope they removed the CO2 cartridges. That would be ridiculous.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
I wonder if this magical device will keep the oily water from spraying all over the canopy at the end of the cat stroke when the catapult hit used to be the old waterbreak. Ive had a few soft cats, but when was the no kidding last "cold" cat mishap...

MasterBates

No cold cats.. I did have one where I was yelling FLAAAAAAPS! about halfway down. Really could have used after-prop on that.

I wonder how the EM interference from this thing will be. According to the crew at General Atomics (people who make it) it's well shielded.

It is freaky quiet. No grab. No WHOOOSH. No BANG!! Vibraaatteee at the waterbrake. Loudest things are the wheels on the shuttle whizzing.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Would love to know when General Atomics IPOs. They are making the rail gun too. Couldnt figure out how the rail gun ballistic projectile impacts faster than the muzzle velocity, as they advertised at Surface Warfare Symposium last year. Wonder if they are in on the Hybrid Electic Drive deal too.

Some Safety Center dude probably knows when last biblically efed up cat shot was tho...