• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No more 6 year flight commitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

nysky

I met with my OSO and was told that the Marines stopped offering the 6 year air contract to guys who get helo's out of flight school. As of a month ago its all 8 year commitments from the time you get your wings (Helo or Jet) as opposed to the 6 year helo and 8 year jet. So no matter what type of aircraft (helo or jet) your looking at a 10 year commitment totall.

riley

I'd rather fly and serve for as long as they'll let me than rot in a cubicle, posting Dilbert cartoons on my walls and watching re-runs of Office Space

Alex Fowler

Awesome news, this means less competition for a spot in flight school from folks who aren't as committed as I am.

AviatorMR239

agreed, i'm sure the helo drivers wouldn't scoff at another couple years of stick time, unless they are chomping at the bit to get some airline job.

i work in the ER at the local hospital, and was talking with the med-flight helo pilot, and she left a regional job to fly helicopters again began the flying was too "boring". Took a paycut but is much happier.

reapergm

Yeah man, Im a wannabe, I hope some of the competition get alittle discouraged about this new rule. Im ready to go.

Daedalus

"Riley and Alex pretty much just summed it all up."

I second that motion

So it is written so it shall be done

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Time.....I have no grasp of the concept of time.......I was in OCS 41 years ago.......TBS 63 years ago (16 months ago).....API 17 years ago.....Primary 25 years ago.....Intermediate sims 9 months ago.....and I'll be hear for 32 more years.....then there's always FRS.......how old am I again? My head hurts.....

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
Originally posted by riley mcconnell
I'd rather fly and serve for as long as they'll let me than rot in a cubicle, posting Dilbert cartoons on my walls and watching re-runs of Office Space

Well, I guess Dilbert is kind of funny... And hey, Office Space is one of the best movies ever. I suppose I'm not too partial to the whole "rotting" thing, though.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
No one is making anyone leave after 6 years. If I wanted to stay 8 as a helo pilot, I still have the choice. I just like to have options open, rather than closed.

It costs less to put someone through the helo pipeline, so I don't understand why the payback should be the same as jets, unless they're having problems recruiting for jets--whoa, I think I'm onto something there!

dividebyzero

Had I known that by going crypto I'd be stuck in the cubicle maze, I'd have gone as a civlian so I could at least go where the action is.

God, how I wish I were kidding.

DBLang

PLC Candidate
Originally posted by phrogdriver
It costs less to put someone through the helo pipeline, so I don't understand why the payback should be the same as jets, unless they're having problems recruiting for jets--whoa, I think I'm onto something there!
spin_125.gif
One can only hope..

Status
Not open for further replies.