• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NIOBC / ONI Questions

Yoda11

Hello all,

I'm a Navy ROTC senior with a slot for flight school. However, due to the long time commitment, talking to a lot of unhappy and overworked aviation JOs, and being a woman desiring a family before I would finish my time, I'm considering DORing when I get to Pensacola and trying to go intel instead. These weren't really things I was considering when I was straight out of high school but am now. I haven't been able to find too much recent information about being an intel officer, so I have a couple of questions.

First of all, what is the workload of NIOBC like? Are students still being put up in hotels or can you get your own place? Is it even reasonable to expect getting intel out of a flight school DOR?

Secondly, I saw someone mention recently in another thread that it's possible to go to ONI straight out of NIOBC. Is this hard to do, and is it still attainable to do a shore tour before your operational tour? Also, does anyone have any experience doing the operational FID tour at ONI?

Finally, any thoughts about quality of life for aviators versus intel officers would be appreciated. Like I said, time for family and a little more control over my life when that time comes is one of my major concerns, as I'd be able to get out of the military sooner if needed.

Thanks!

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would be extremely cautious about pursuing that path. There are zero guarantees that you will get offered Intel as an option if you DOR (it’s a highly competitive community and flight attrites don’t have a competitive advantage), and you could find yourself in another community that you don’t like or be separated from the Navy.

I’d be really curious what communities those “unhappy and overworked JOs” were in.

Your Naval Aviation experience will vary widely depending on community, that particular squadron’s operational tempo, their front office, etc. I had an intense optempo during my first tour (VAQ squadron) but my experience was largely positive (good ready room/JO buddies, tons of interesting flying). You may have talked to a cross section of folks that got unlucky. Most VAQ JOs I’ve encountered have truly enjoyed their first tour. It’s largely the people you’re with, not the schedule that will dictate your enjoyment.

There are also no guarantees that your theoretical life as an Intel officer would be any easier. You could get assigned to a squadron and have exactly the same optempo/life experience as your aviation counterparts, but without the joys of flying. Even if you don’t go to a squadron, the odds of your first tour being easier aren’t guaranteed. Your first tour is where you prove yourself in any community, and your workload/schedule will likely reflect that.

Unfortunately, you’ve sacrificed a certain degree of control over your life and family timing by joining the military. You can still have a family and a successful military career, but it will require planning and collaboration with your command. The updated parental leave policy (three months) certainly helps things though. My wife and I have been able to plan our two (soon to be three) kiddos around my sea/shore tour rotation, so it’s doable.

I’d also think about what drew you to flying in the first place. Your experience as an Intel O (if the stars align) will be completely different and potentially not remotely as satisfying for you. You have a guaranteed flight spot and the potential for a highly satisfying career. I would spend a lot of time reflecting on this decision, and have a plan for what happens if you go forward and the Navy decides to separate you. There will be plenty of time for specific NIOBC/follow-on Intel tours questions if/when you are able to redesignate.

I’m certainly biased, but stick with Naval Aviation. You won’t regret it.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
That is a horrible idea that guarantees you more misery in the long term or a ticket to civilian land.

As one example, if you go as an intel officer to a fleet aviation squadron (don't bet on that first tour ticket to the DC 'burbs) you'll be gone just as much if not more than aviators (because of NALO and having to ride the ship in) AND you won't get the benefit of flying.

farsightusf

So as the resident Intel-O in this thread I’ll answer some of your questions. I won’t go into your COA.

Background I was a first tour at ONI then to an Air wing tour. I’d say getting intel out of NASC isn’t uncommon I know many myself included. NIOBIC/IWBC isn’t a killer, it’s not a joke but it’s manageable just take it seriously and learn what you can. It’s a PCS move and you will get a place off base. Orders are selected based off class standing and could be anything. Large Intel centers to Fallon, NV. It’s possible and common to go straight to ONI. FID is a pretty good gig. Deploy as a FIWO support CSG staff.

Career wise quality of life is pretty decent. I’d say in general my quality of life on a shore duty and on deployment was immensely worse than my aviator peers. 8-12 hours doing intel work then add on any additional squadron duties and intel doesn’t get No fly days.

I’m happy to talk more in depth if you have interest.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I was a flight instructor at NFO Advanced Squadron (VT-86), I had a student that was 8 flights from finishing his wings and was heading off to fly Prowlers. I was his advisor. I had him talk to the Chaplain, and I discussed what would happen if he DORd. He DORd and was redesignated a SWO on an Amphib out of Norfolk. The reason: he fell in love with a gal in Atlanta and he felt it was unfair to her to ask her to move to Whidbey Island. Well, after he went to Norfolk, she dumped him. I’m certain he loved his life as a SWO…..😉😂😂😂😂

Michael_J_Caboose

Squadron N2/N6
So as the resident Intel-O in this thread I’ll answer some of your questions. I won’t go into your COA.

Background I was a first tour at ONI then to an Air wing tour. I’d say getting intel out of NASC isn’t uncommon I know many myself included. NIOBIC/IWBC isn’t a killer, it’s not a joke but it’s manageable just take it seriously and learn what you can. It’s a PCS move and you will get a place off base. Orders are selected based off class standing and could be anything. Large Intel centers to Fallon, NV. It’s possible and common to go straight to ONI. FID is a pretty good gig. Deploy as a FIWO support CSG staff.

Career wise quality of life is pretty decent. I’d say in general my quality of life on a shore duty and on deployment was immensely worse than my aviator peers. 8-12 hours doing intel work then add on any additional squadron duties and intel doesn’t get No fly days.

I’m happy to talk more in depth if you have interest.
100% this. I am on my squadron tour with nearly 16 years in the IC and I have a syllabus and tons of things going on, but the pilots come first meaning I have to be creative and settle for not being heard. I have enjoyed my time with the squadron and feel like I have made strides for future Intel Os as my JOs go on to be DHs. On the other hand, I know people at other squadrons doing everything in their power to cut their tours short because their squadrons are toxic and treat them very poorly. Your mileage will vary at a squadron.

As for "banking" on getting intel, as others have said, there is no guarantee that you will get intel and may end up hating life on a small boy as a SWO. Aviation is different for everyone. Among my pilots, we have various hardships. Some people hate personalities in the leadership, we used to have toxic senior JOPA, some people have issues with time away from family, etc. Despite all of that, I have heard each of my pilots talk about how despite the pressure, there is nothing quite like doing low-level F-18 flights near hometowns or talking with kids at airports/airshows.

Your time in the military will depend so much on YOUR attitude and YOUR ability to adapt to the surroundings and roll with the punches. Don't give up the opportunity that many would kill for because a couple of people said it wasn't what they had hoped it would be.

Michael_J_Caboose

Squadron N2/N6
Hello all,

I'm a Navy ROTC senior with a slot for flight school. However, due to the long time commitment, talking to a lot of unhappy and overworked aviation JOs, and being a woman desiring a family before I would finish my time, I'm considering DORing when I get to Pensacola and trying to go intel instead. These weren't really things I was considering when I was straight out of high school but am now. I haven't been able to find too much recent information about being an intel officer, so I have a couple of questions.

First of all, what is the workload of NIOBC like? Are students still being put up in hotels or can you get your own place? Is it even reasonable to expect getting intel out of a flight school DOR?

Secondly, I saw someone mention recently in another thread that it's possible to go to ONI straight out of NIOBC. Is this hard to do, and is it still attainable to do a shore tour before your operational tour? Also, does anyone have any experience doing the operational FID tour at ONI?

Finally, any thoughts about quality of life for aviators versus intel officers would be appreciated. Like I said, time for family and a little more control over my life when that time comes is one of my major concerns, as I'd be able to get out of the military sooner if needed.

Thanks!
For your first question, thats impossible to answer. I know some classes that sent more than 4 people to ONI straight out of NIOBC and many that sent 0. My class for instance sent 1 OCONUS, 1 to the west coast, and all the rest went to everyone's favorite beach.

You will get out what you put in. If you study and try to learn everything, your time at NIOBC will be super beneficial and you will be better off when you go for your boards. The stuff isnt "hard" because its an entry level course, but if you dont try, I can promise that it will affect your time in such a small community.

Life is pretty great as the AI. I run two divisions split between 2 departments and get the pleasure of getting in trouble with both. I also walk onto the boat several days before they show up and ride it back in several days after they make it back to their families. *Most of this is in jest, but there are definite perks to being ABLE to leave the ship/detachment area. Its like being a 16 year old with a license.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Lots of great advice above, but I'll add this. While I have awesome friends who have doe ROTC or NASC tours, I wouldn't trust everything they have to tell you.

Naval Aviation, on the whole, is an amazing place to be and an extremely unique experience. I know plenty of women who started families immediately following their first sea tour. There are plenty of shore tour options where the job and leadership support having a child, to include the FRS.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Background I was a first tour at ONI then to an Air wing tour. I’d say getting intel out of NASC isn’t uncommon I know many myself included.

All dependent on timing. Some years folks who attrite or DOR out of flight school have a lot of choice, other years those same folks were shown the door and it can even change from week to week. Bottom line, I wouldn't plan on anything firm WRT to the Navy if you DOR out of flight school.

exNavyOffRec

All dependent on timing. Some years folks who attrite or DOR out of flight school have a lot of choice, other years those same folks were shown the door and it can even change from week to week. Bottom line, I wouldn't plan on anything firm WRT to the Navy if you DOR out of flight school.
That is very true, we had several cycle through our NRD who were processing out, they were dropped from flight school, able to redesignate and then promptly shifted to the IRR.