• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Night Vision Pen

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
... as consumers we're conditioned to expect nice things to come in nice packages. I would suggest that as you grow as a company to reconsider the packaging. Had I just signed an ECR card to pick this up from supply, then this packaging would not be surprising. After paying $85, I was expecting just a little more.

I bought a few "tactical" pens from Surefire, Benchmade, and Tuff-Writer when developing the Night Vision Pen. Only one came in a cardboard box, the other two were in packaging like mine. I have also bought several parts for my 1911 from $20 to $100 and they all came in exactly the same type of packaging. Design, prototyping, molds, and initial manufacture ate up several thousand so I felt fancy packaging could wait. In the future I hope to do it, but at this time the expense was not worth it.

That little bit more would include some instructions. While it's fairly easy to figure out how to open it to put the batteries in, it took me a second or two to figure out that there was a small plastic rod underneath the batteries that had to be removed, and then you can remove the ink cartridge. I like the design (only one opening for the pen), but a small business card set of instructions that say "hey, dumbass - this is how you put the batteries in, and this is how you replace the cartridge" would be nice.

Excellent point. I will create one and incorporate it immediately.

So as I pressed the button (in a fully lit room), I was thinking - not to bright. I shined it directly in my eye unaided - and the little diffuser tip made it seem not very bright. Impressive. So, it must suck at night... So, into the guest bathroom (that has no windows) I go.

As you can see, it's definitely bright enough to see what you're writing - as you can clearly pick out (ok, not so clear - but I had to turn the flash off and didn't have a tripod) the USPS logo:

Can I replace the chemlight I use to do startup and shutdown checklists? To check gauges when the peanut lights go out? I think so:

In about 3 weeks, I'll be down at Camp Lejeune - and I intend to bring the pen with me. I'll give some more feedback after I get back. But as I see it now, I think it will fit the bill.

So far, I'm impressed. I went to a Mont Blanc shop in Dubai, and this pen feels as well constructed as some of those pens. Only cheaper. And more rugged.

Thanks for the initial review. Please post more after you use it at Camp Lejeune. The Night Vision Pen throws about the same amount of light as a fingerlight, but in a broader pattern. I think you'll find it just right for night ops, with or without goggles.

Oh, and the ASA pen? I used to own one (way back), and they're not that good...

I'm not even going to go there ...

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
Night Vision Pen is running a special promotion during the month of August! The promotion is called "Fly Before You Buy." You must use coupon code: FLY during checkout to indicate you want to be part of the promotion. Fly Before You Buy means you will be shipped your Night Vision Pen free of charge for a 30 day evaluation. You will still need to input your information into Google Checkout for order tracking purposes, but you won't be charged until after 30 days from purchase.

If for some reason you decide that the Night Vision Pen isn't for you simply return it within the 30 day trial period and your order will be cancelled. The Night Vision Pen website has details on how to process a return.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Night Vision Pen is running a special promotion during the month of August! The promotion is called "Fly Before You Buy." You must use coupon code: FLY during checkout to indicate you want to be part of the promotion. Fly Before You Buy means you will be shipped your Night Vision Pen free of charge for a 30 day evaluation. You will still need to input your information into Google Checkout for order tracking purposes, but you won't be charged until after 30 days from purchase.

If for some reason you decide that the Night Vision Pen isn't for you simply return it within the 30 day trial period and your order will be cancelled. The Night Vision Pen website has details on how to process a return.

I'll jump on this. With some underway time in the near future I could see this being a great way to check it out. Order sent!

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
insanebikerboy isn't the only one taking advantage of the Fly Before You Buy promotion. This is your opportunity to see for yourself how much better it is than a finger light, lip light, or chem light with no obligation or commitment.

Python

pilot
Contributor
I haven't mentioned it yet (sorry for the dealy NVP), but I bought this pen about 6 weeks ago I'd say. Although I was in primary at the time, I found it to be very reliable as a piece of solid hardware and it worked well with me in the cockpit. Additionally, the illumination I had was bright and particularly helpful during the darkness of the sims and the aircraft at night. I selected jets in Meridian recently and I'm sure it will only come in more handy there as I learn to fly more tactically. I highly recommend it to other aviators.

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
Thanks for the feedback Python1287! I'm glad it is proving its worth to you.

The Night Vision Pen is now in use with some members of the State Department as well a few police departments.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Ok, I'll admit I'm a gear queer, however I'm in the beginning of the rag so I can't take advantage of this deal. Any chance of me getting an extension on the deal?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Thanks for the feedback Python1287! I'm glad it is proving its worth to you.

The Night Vision Pen is now in use with some members of the State Department as well a few police departments.

I thought State's pilots were all contractors, e.g. DynCorp. Are those the ones you're talking about (the tactical guys), or do you mean some cat flying H.R.C.'s Gulfstream?

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
Ok, I'll admit I'm a gear queer, however I'm in the beginning of the rag so I can't take advantage of this deal. Any chance of me getting an extension on the deal?

Don't worry, fc2spyguy, I am a gear queer too. Being at the beginning of the RAG is the best time to take advantage of Fly Before You Buy (coupon code: FLY). That way you can vet it out before you get to night flying and goggles. Ask the PR shop if you can check out a pair of goggles over the weekend and play with the set up in your bathroom or garage. I did this very thing with the prototypes before I had anyone else fly with them. This way, you'll have it set up on your kneeboard exactly how you want when the goggle flights start. However, if you really want to wait then contact me at the time and we'll work something out. If you are in the east coast RAG you can snoop around some to check one out. There is at least one guy there that has bought one already because he wasn't happy with finger lights or lip lights.

I thought State's pilots were all contractors, e.g. DynCorp. Are those the ones you're talking about (the tactical guys), or do you mean some cat flying H.R.C.'s Gulfstream?

I can't honestly answer if the order was for aviators. The order was for a half a dozen and was placed with a valid state.gov email and an APO shipping address.

phrogpilot73

Not in the field yet (that's in two weeks), but as I was sitting in the MSAT (Multi-purpose Supporting Arms Trainer) copying down 9-lines (think of me as the crotchety sim operator for FACs/JTACs) it dawned on me that it was pretty dark there. And why was I using a chemlight to illuminate my notepad when I just dropped $85 on a pen? I'm taking it down with me today (I have some remedials to run through) and I'll let you know my thoughts. No pictures though, MSAT is in a space certified for open storage. Sorry.

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
Not in the field yet (that's in two weeks), but as I was sitting in the MSAT (Multi-purpose Supporting Arms Trainer) copying down 9-lines (think of me as the crotchety sim operator for FACs/JTACs) it dawned on me that it was pretty dark there. And why was I using a chemlight to illuminate my notepad when I just dropped $85 on a pen? I'm taking it down with me today (I have some remedials to run through) and I'll let you know my thoughts. No pictures though, MSAT is in a space certified for open storage. Sorry.

phrogpilot73, I know that Air Warriors has been down some recently, but I was wondering if you have some feedback from your use at MSAT yet?

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
Unfortunately due to some technical issues we lost phrogpilot73 and insanebikerboy's latest reviews. Both were quite positive and hopefully they will post them again when they can.

Just two days left in the Fly Before You Buy campaign (coupon code: FLY during checkout).