• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nice shotguns

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
I have recently found myself in need of a nice shotgun. I am thinkng anywhere from a Ruger Red/Gold label up to something Italian sounding, Bernadelli, Rizzini etc. I like SKB a lot and they look like a good value. I don't want one of the cheaper imports; not that they are bad, I just want something with beauty I can winsomly comtemplate in a duck blind or in front of the fire while I sip a nice single-malt, my labrador sleeping contentedly at my feet. I mostly hunt ducks and geese and would like to shoot more clays so I am pretty sure that a heavier 12 GA is the ticket.

So, if anybody has a preference or a horror story, let me know.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
RockyMtnNFO said:
I just want something with beauty I can winsomly comtemplate in a duck blind or in front of the fire while I sip a nice single-malt, my labrador sleeping contentedly at my feet.

I have a Remington 870 12ga right now. It is all the gun I will ever "need" but I want a double barrel.

Auto loaders are okay but I am thinking genteel vs bling. I don't hunt with 6 shots.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good lord, reading comprehension people. He wants a pretty gun.

Are you looking for an O/U or SxS?

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
My uncle is a big fan of and owns several old Berettas, all of which have nice, detailed scrollwork on them. Not really my thing, though. Why not see if you can find something you like at www.gunbroker.com? Might not be the best place to find a good deal, but there's an enormous amount of firearms listed there. It could help put you in the ballpark anyway.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Good lord, reading comprehension people. He wants a pretty gun.

Are you looking for an O/U or SxS?

As an English Major and an aspiring teacher, thank you for your reading comprehension. And to answer your question, I am not entirely sure. I know I should go shoot a bunch of them and decide by trial, but I want to talk about guns right now.

I hear great things about Rugers new Gold Label but have yet to, in the most technical terms "shoot" a side by side. My Uncle has a pair of matched Spanish sidelocks that I like, they are worth @approx 20k. so I think my tastes have been skewed.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
RockyMtnNFO said:
As an English Major and an aspiring teacher, thank you for your reading comprehension.

It's a disease on this board. Like the poor guy who asked about Western-style wheelguns, he gets answers ranging from Glock to H&K.

I hear great things about Rugers new Gold Label but have yet to, in the most technical terms "shoot" a side by side. My Uncle has a pair of matched Spanish sidelocks that I like, they are worth @approx 20k. so I think my tastes have been skewed.

To be honest, I don't know anything about O/U and SxS shotguns. I have shot an O/U and it was awesome. Very quick swing and surprisingly quick to reload. Hopefully someone here knows more about them than I do. I just know the combat shotguns, more or less.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Take a look at what is being shot in competition in your area be it trap and skeet or sporting clays. When I shot registered skeet I went through up to 20,000 rounds a year. After having lesser guns fail I settled on a Beretta 682S with a Briley Tube set that allowed me to shoot all four gauges with the same site picture. About $4K used in 93 time frame and it has never failed to go bang when I pull the trigger.

That being said I have also shot perfect rounds of skeet with a Remington 870 SPS and when I was at Whidbey I spent a lot of time over at Skagit hunting duck in the salt. There’s something to be said about a gun you bring home, take apart and toss in the bath tub for a fresh water wash down before you clean it and it still continues to function.

I don’t know about the newer Rugers but the older ones tended to be very loose after not many rounds and several friends had firing pins break. As an O/U at least they could finish the day hunting though. Don’t hesitate to buy a quality gun used. If you buy higher end it’s one of those things that simply cannot, with proper care, be worn out in one lifetime.

Pugs

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've shot a 24/25 on my 3rd ever game of Skeet with a 18" barrel Remingtion 870 synthetic. The range snobs scoffed at me when I pulled it out... then went away amazed when I scored that high.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
I'm a fan of Franchi shotguns, personally. They are made in the same factories, on the same machines that more expensive, but comparably-performing, Benelli shotguns are made.

As far as double-barrel models, the Alcione/Falconet is pretty nice, and very handsome. They also have a new model called the Barrage made especially for sporting clays/trap shooting.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
RockyMtnNFO said:
I have a Remington 870 12ga right now. It is all the gun I will ever "need" but I want a double barrel.

Auto loaders are okay but I am thinking genteel vs bling. I don't hunt with 6 shots.

This not my first shotgun, I don't want an autoloader and I don't necessarily trust every guy behind the counter at a gunshop. I have a favorite gunshop I go to and will probably order from them once I decide on a fowling piece if it's new. In my experience guys at gunshops can be more interested in telling you how much they know about guns rather than finding out what you need; be careful.

Lawman

None
RockyMtnNFO said:
This not my first shotgun, I don't want an autoloader and I don't necessarily trust every guy behind the counter at a gunshop. I have a favorite gunshop I go to and will probably order from them once I decide on a fowling piece if it's new. In my experience guys at gunshops can be more interested in telling you how much they know about guns rather than finding out what you need; be careful.

I have the one guy Ill deal with at my shop, because hes really laid back about it (owners son doesnt really kill himself to sell something). If your wanting doublebarrel you may wish to specify over-under or side-by-side. Personally for Side-by-sides Id recommend you go look at the L.C. Smith Line. They are typically a darker and more decrotive look then many of the others in the price range. Ithica is also great stuff.

And I like my women like I like my coffee, ground up and in the freezer.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lawman said:
If your wanting doublebarrel you may wish to specify over-under or side-by-side.

He did... SEVERAL TIMES. READ. THINK. POST. IN THAT ORDER.

...and are you seriously saying the M1 or SPAS-12 are the only trustworthy auto-loaders? If so, please, let me know, so I can officially discount anything you say in the future about firearms as uninformed and irrelevant.

Damn people... if are intent on derailing a thread by virtue of not even reading the original post or focusing solely on the topic, don't bother.