• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NHL Winter Classic Flyover

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I don't have a photo or video but the Coast Guard helo dudes just did a solid flyover with their swimmers on the hoist for NHL Winter Classic.

Definitely looked cool and definitely something I haven't seen before.

GroundPounder

You have to wonder how many people will join up, based on seeing that. Pretty impressive, and maybe the least dangerous thing they will do at work that week.

The last 25 years have kind of changed the dynamic, but I always thought that the USCG was the branch you could join and be guaranteed to do what you trained for, operationally.

Meyerkord

pilot
Okay. So, stupid question, but other than who they work for (DHS vs DoD) what is the difference?
Station SAR units are DoD. They’re a sub-unit of the base and aren’t a “full” squadron per se. They’re typically run by an OIC who reports to the base XO/CO. Pilots and aircrew are active duty whereas the maintenance teams can be a mix of AD or contractors

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Station SAR units are DoD. They’re a sub-unit of the base and aren’t a “full” squadron per se. They’re typically run by an OIC who reports to the base XO/CO. Pilots and aircrew are active duty whereas the maintenance teams can be a mix of AD or contractors
Pilots and aircrew are sourced from both HSC & HSM, but they all fly Block I (no weapons provisions) MH-60S.

Yeah, not many people know the Navy has orange & white outside Pensacola.

Interestingly, while everyone thinks the short-hauling was cool, word on the street is there's some pee-pee smacking happening due to poorly communicated request to do it.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

Will Station SAR respond to civilian boats/airplanes in distress? I know the ANG Rescue units will, but it comes from the USCG (or other agency) through NORTHCOM to the Governor.

I don't remember if Pedro ever did out of KNKT. They were sundowning about the time I was showing up to the VMUs.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I don't remember if Pedro ever did out of KNKT. They were sundowning about the time I was showing up to the VMUs.
I thought they deferred to the CG base in Elizabeth City, but I could be wrong.

I do remember talking to some of the Phrog dudes at Pedro and it was some of the more difficult flying they ever did. BL, the aircraft wasn't built for SAR out over the water at night, like CG helos were.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Will Station SAR respond to civilian boats/airplanes in distress? I know the ANG Rescue units will, but it comes from the USCG (or other agency) through NORTHCOM to the Governor.

Yes (caveat that I’m only familiar with Whidbey SAR’s processes). Requests for their support have to go through the AF’s Rescue Coordination Center and be approved by the Base CO. In my experience it’s a pretty quick process to get approval. They supported a few rescues on the local climbing hill for my fire company and were spinning up within 45 minutes on a weekend (they’re alert 30 during the week and alert 60 on the weekends).

I’m not sure how often they do SAR for civilian boats/planes, as most of their publicized rescues involve technical rescues of hikers/climbers in the Cascades or the Olympics or transporting patients from the San Juan Islands to higher levels of care on the mainland, but I’m sure they have the capability. There’s also a USCG Air Station nearby, so there’s a decent amount of task sharing.

The NASWI webpage actually has a pretty good description of their capabilities: https://cnrnw.cnic.navy.mil/Install...nd/About/Aviation-Commands/Search-and-Rescue/