• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO transfer to Pilot??

USNMark

I just received word from my recruiter that I'm now an NFO select (my #2 choice). :eek: Though my ultimate choice (and lifelong dream) is to be a pilot, my recruiter assured me that a 'lateral transfer' is something I could do relatively easily. In case that doesn't make any sense:sleep_125 , he basically informed me that I could enter the NFO pipeline and if I do well enough (read: KICK ASS and take names), I can switch to the Pilot pipeline. Is this done as often as he says it is, or am I pretty much gonna be facing an NFO career if I'm a final select? Thanks in advance to all the help you people provide

It's apparently possible to transfer to pilot if you are in the top 10% of your class, but I would plan on being an NFO just to be safe. Don't accept NFO if that's not what you want, although there certainly is nothing wrong with wanting to be an NFO.

I applied for Pilot first and NFO second, but I am actually very happy with my NFO selection. I don't think I'd take an offer to transfer to pilot, honestly.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
It's apparently possible to transfer to pilot if you are in the top 10% of your class, but I would plan on being an NFO just to be safe. Don't accept NFO if that's not what you want, although there certainly is nothing wrong with wanting to be an NFO.

I applied for Pilot first and NFO second, but I am actually very happy with my NFO selection. I don't think I'd take an offer to transfer to pilot, honestly.

Sounds like good advice. If I were in your shoes, I would not make my decision based on the idea of transferring to pilot. Take the NFO slot if you think you could be happy being an NFO. If you don't think you could be happy as an NFO, then don't take it. The possibilities for a transfer to pilot reportedly exist in API, and definately exist once you are winged...but it's a long shot from what I hear.

Of course, I'm not in the fleet, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Hopefully some of the more experienced folks can chime in on this one.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just received word from my recruiter that I'm now an NFO select (my #2 choice). :eek: Though my ultimate choice (and lifelong dream) is to be a pilot, my recruiter assured me that a 'lateral transfer' is something I could do relatively easily. In case that doesn't make any sense:sleep_125 , he basically informed me that I could enter the NFO pipeline and if I do well enough (read: KICK ASS and take names), I can switch to the Pilot pipeline. Is this done as often as he says it is, or am I pretty much gonna be facing an NFO career if I'm a final select? Thanks in advance to all the help you people provide

Your recruiter is painting a very rosy picture for you. Realistically, your chances of ever being a pilot once you start your training are next to nil. You can count the number of NFOs who get a pilot transition in any given year on one hand. Go forward with this in mind.

Brett

USNMark

Thanks for your insights Brett. Looks like it's re-application time once my last quarter's grades come in 2 months. BTW, is re-applying a smart idea? I REALLY want to be a pilot more than anything (I don't want to have to resort to killing for it, but hey). I'm thinking I should say no to this offer and give it another shot once my grades and my degree come through in June. Unless of course this sends a very BAAADD message to the Navy. I think unless I hear some good warnings, I'm gonna bring my GPA up for one last shot at this pilot dream.
To answer a few questions: yes I'm from what used to be the 909, now it's 951, and a suburban-infested, Spanish speaking, traffic barfing, orange grove swallowing, smog pumping hell-hole, but at least things like Wal-Mart are here! (sarcasm). Oh, and I went to Notre Dame HS.
Thanks again for everyone's help.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
From a SNFO standpoint, I like what I'm doing right now. I wanted to be a pilot. But now, if I could go back and make the selection over again, I'd put NFO down as my first choice.

Whether you're a pilot of an NFO, you still get to fly and wear green (or tan) pajamas to work... which in my mind, is a good thing.

Cheers,
Bubba

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Thanks for your insights Brett. Looks like it's re-application time once my last quarter's grades come in 2 months. BTW, is re-applying a smart idea? I REALLY want to be a pilot more than anything (I don't want to have to resort to killing for it, but hey). I'm thinking I should say no to this offer and give it another shot once my grades and my degree come through in June. Unless of course this sends a very BAAADD message to the Navy. I think unless I hear some good warnings, I'm gonna bring my GPA up for one last shot at this pilot dream.
To answer a few questions: yes I'm from what used to be the 909, now it's 951, and a suburban-infested, Spanish speaking, traffic barfing, orange grove swallowing, smog pumping hell-hole, but at least things like Wal-Mart are here! (sarcasm). Oh, and I went to Notre Dame HS.
Thanks again for everyone's help.

Well...this is a tricky subject. The problem is that you applied for the NFO position even if you put it down as your second choice. What that suggests is that you either didn't realize you didn't want to be an NFO in the first place, or you put it down knowing you wouldn't accept it.

The good news is, the Navy seems to be somewhat understanding, and you may be able to write a reconsideration letter explaining your change of heart. Talk to your recruiter about this. As long as you let the board know that you are grateful for the opportunity to serve as an NFO, but discovered it wasn't what you really wanted, it might be ok...I think I've heard some folks on here who've done something like this.

Again, grain of salt disclaimer :)

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
If you want to be a pilot, then reapply, even if you are happy with NFO. Sounds like you want it pretty bad and I can tell you it is a sweet job (not that NFO isn't just as good, just different). You can reference a few threads with a search on the benefits and drawbacks of both jobs, but like everyone else, I wouldn't change if you offered me a huge sum of money. If being a pilot is your life's dream, then take every opportunity to do it, don't settle (disclaimer-let's not turn this in to another pilot vs. NFO battle, I am just saying that's what the guy wants to do!)
As far as a NFO to pilot transfer works, it is very difficult and not exactly career enhancing (due to timing reasons). There are a few retreads on the board who can provide a better answer for you (Rand? Intruder Driver?).

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot

I was in your shoes once, except I was selected for pilot and got caught up in an NFO draft at API. I was fortunate that I was selected for a pilot transition during my fleet tour as an A-6 B/N.

As disappointed as I was in being drafted as an NFO, the best advice I received was to put the disappointment behind me and be the best possible NFO and Naval Officer I could be, because my only chance to get what I wanted (whether it was a pilot transition or follow on shore tour) was to be the consummate professional in everything I did, whether it was sitting in the right seat, being a branch or division officer, etc.

We had several NFO's in our air wing whom we called "front seat RIO's" or "left seat B/N's," and none of them were selected for a transition nor were they selected as RAG instructors.

The four NFO's in my year group selected for the pilot transition were all considered front runners as NFO's.

The moral of the story is an old one with broad applications. However, as applied to the world of Naval Officers, I believe every fleet type on AW will agree that performance and attitude, with rare exceptions, will always carry the day when it comes to getting the assignments you desire. Nothing trumps being number one.

During my naval career, there was only one way to guarantee your choice out of flight school. Finish number one.

Good luck to you. Wherever you land, focus all your energies there. Don't think "what if" because it will affect your performance. Don't believe it? Look at what happens to many pro sports players when they wind up on a losing team. Or, on the other hand, look at pros like Barry Sanders or Tony Gwynn or Kirby Puckett, who gave 110% to teams considered less than desirable, and how they are ultimately viewed by their peers.

USNMark

I agree about not settling if what I really want is to be a pilot. The more I think about this situation, the more I'm uncomfortable NOT being a future aviator. From what people have said, it sounds like I won't be destroying my future chances by re-applying, especially if I make some sort of statement explaining why. I'm pretty much convinced that I'd like to wait for my GPA to go up for the final time and then re-apply.

One other thought: my recruiter has told me that only applying for ONE thing looks bad and that if one reeeeally wants to show motivation to be an officer he or she should apply for 3 choices... Is this true or just another 'rosy picture' to use a Brett-ism? If not, I'll just put Naval Aviator on the application and not even worry about NFO or Intel or anything else.

Rearden

So what's broken on this jet today, Chief?
None
The only time of my three applications to the Navy that I got selected was the time I only put down NFO. It's difficult to tell whether the number of choices you put down on the application really has much to do with whether the board will think you're qualified. My personal feeling would be that if the board considers that, it would be a pretty minimal factor in the decision.

In the general picture, re-applying is a good thing, as I can tell you that's the only way I got in. Remember also when making this decision that Pilot's often can end up flying rotary wing aircraft, whereas NFO's only fly fixed wing aircraft.

One other thought: my recruiter has told me that only applying for ONE thing looks bad and that if one reeeeally wants to show motivation to be an officer he or she should apply for 3 choices... Is this true or just another 'rosy picture' to use a Brett-ism? If not, I'll just put Naval Aviator on the application and not even worry about NFO or Intel or anything else.

Are you only interested in being a pilot? That's what I thought when I started out, but I put down NFO anyway because my recruiter suggested I do so. When I first got picked up for NFO (after two other denials), I was disappointed that I didn't get Pilot. However, after reading about what NFOs do in the fleet, I'm happy with my selection.

More than that, I'd rather be a naval officer who is an NFO than not be a naval officer at all.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Are you only interested in being a pilot? That's what I thought when I started out, but I put down NFO anyway because my recruiter suggested I do so. When I first got picked up for NFO (after two other denials), I was disappointed that I didn't get Pilot. However, after reading about what NFOs do in the fleet, I'm happy with my selection.

More than that, I'd rather be a naval officer who is an NFO than not be a naval officer at all.

Also sound advice. I put down NFO as second choice fully prepared to take an NFO slot if it was offered to me.

In addition, because my eyesight is somewhat borderline (20/30 and astigmatism flirting with the refractive limits), I am prepared to show up to OCS and get sent home and have to resubmit a package for NFO. I think there's realistically about a 5-10% chance this could happen, and I'm prepared for that possibility.

The point is...it might be better for you to read about what NFOs do in the fleet, and try to make a decision based on that, but definately let your recruiter know what you're thinking. I understand being a pilot is your dream, but keep in mind it will not always be fun, and you'll probably go through times where you will have trouble staying motivated no matter what you do, that's just life.

However, if you do decide to re-apply definately DO NOT put down anything other than pilot. If you re-apply after getting selected for NFO, and then put down NFO again...well I wouldn't even give your package a second look if I was on the board. Same thing if you put down Intel and end up getting selected and don't take the slot. Don't apply for a designator you don't intend to accept just to be political. Be honest and tell the board what you want, and let the chips fall where they will.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
In addition, because my eyesight is somewhat borderline (20/30 and astigmatism flirting with the refractive limits), I am prepared to show up to OCS and get sent home and have to resubmit a package for NFO.

For what it's worth, I don't think they do this. A couple of the guys in my class (circa 2002) came in as SNAs and when they took the eye test, it was basically "Uh...your vision is 20/80, not 20/40...NFO."