• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO Training

nycam12

I was just selected as an NFO and will be graduating in May '12. I'm sure the information I'm looking for is in here somewhere, but I can't find clear answers to my questions. As an NFO, will I still learn to fly at primary. Will I actually get to pilot a T-34 or T-6, or will I only be doing navigation, etc.? Also, are NFOs selected to do ground tours as forward observers? What other opportunities are open to flight officers?

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
no reason not to expect a FAC tour. i would think. can't believe that's changed in 40 years. of course, FAC-ing can be hazardous to your health. don't ask me how i know.
::)
6337046023_92122db3e1_z.jpg

6333108548_b0db265a00_z.jpg

would i do it again? ... in a heartbeat
semper fi.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FAC? As as Navy NFO? Not too likely - never heard of anything like that. You'd have to go way out of your way in terms of career path to do that.

Brett

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In two seat point nose jets you can get FAC-A qualified.

81montedriver

pilot
FAC? As as Navy NFO? Not too likely - never heard of anything like that. You'd have to go way out of your way in terms of career path to do that.

Brett

Right on. However it's not uncommon for Marine NFO's to do a FAC tour. You can do almost anything a pilot does as a ground tour, it just depends on your preferences.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Brett

Brett is spot on. I knew an F-14 RIO that did a ground FAC tour attached to ANGLICO. He was ordered there as an LNO, but weaseled his way into doing ground FAC missions, and yes, it derailed his career...he retired as a LCDR.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It'd help if we knew whether you're Navy or Marines.

Navy - no, not really. It has been done and will be done in the future, but it's not at all common. It's not like you email the detailer and tell him you want to be a FAC/JTAC. Based on conversations with some of the guys who've done it, getting attached to the Teams as a FAC is like becoming an astronaut - there's a long process of resume-building and pissing excellence required to even be considered. And once you disappear down that hole, you're never coming back to 'regular' Naval Aviation. That being said, those guys I met didn't mind that part at all...they'd gone native and had the surfer-hair, big watch, terminal tan thing down pat.

There are ANGLICO billets...I even knew a SWO who did it, and was getting ready to jump into Haiti before the invasion was called off. But there aren't that many billets, and it's even more of a rabbit hole than NSW.

As noted, yes, Marine aviators (pilots and FOs) are expected to do air officer tours as part of normal career progression.