• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO training

maria

hey all,

i'm new on here and just saw a few posts so far...i'm wondering more specifically about NFO training.

i know some of the other pilot flight school post will be true for this as well. my boyfriend has a report date to pensacola of 6/22 (after graduating USNA). any ideas from you who are there now/have been there recently about what things are like, such as the wait time, the possibility of getting jets, pensacola places to live, etc.?

any and all advice is welcomed :)

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Hi Maria and welcome to the forum!

There is an NFO sub-forum that's got a lot of great info: here are some of the best threads:

Primary
Strike/Strike Fighter intermediate / advanced

As far as chances of getting a jet slot, I'll let some NFOs comment on that...generally it's a crapshoot and the biggest factor in getting a slot is the needs of the navy the week you select.

maria

hey thanks for those threads! haha, i know it's a crapshoot, just thought i'd see what the latest is -- we've been hearing about some things phasing out, etc., and wondered how jet NFOs were doing. thanks :)

hourocket

Bullseye
None
I just recently graduated from Primary and right now the P-3 slot is the hard one to get and the TacAir is what everyone else gets. Remember you dont get to pick "Jets" until Intermediate graduation and lately the trend has been about 1 E-2C slot per graduation, so if you have a big class it is good, but if you are the only one graduating, it is bad if you want jets.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I'll let you know in about a week and a half how my intermediate draft went.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
hey thanks for those threads! haha, i know it's a crapshoot, just thought i'd see what the latest is -- we've been hearing about some things phasing out, etc., and wondered how jet NFOs were doing. thanks :)

Welcome to the Forum :) As far as getting jets, it all depends on whats available come selection. After that, it comes down to grades. The class before mine had more jet slots than P-3 slots. In my class, we had no jet slots, just P-3s and E-6s. So really, no exact formula. Just tell your bf to do his best and everything else will fall into place. No matter what, he'll be happy whatever he gets. Needs of the Navy, not Needs of the Ensign Who Wants Jets.

a_m

None
As of 4/20, there were 3 E2 slots between vt4/10, but all of those were there because people wanted them, so everyone got what they want.

OleMissF18Wife

Proud of the Few
Welcome and good luck!!

hey all, i'm new on here and just saw a few posts so far...i'm wondering more specifically about NFO training.

i know some of the other pilot flight school post will be true for this as well. my boyfriend has a report date to pensacola of 6/22 (after graduating USNA). any ideas from you who are there now/have been there recently about what things are like, such as the wait time, the possibility of getting jets, pensacola places to live, etc.?

any and all advice is welcomed :)

Welcome to the insanity of Naval aviation!!

It has been a 10+ year ride for us and I have loved every minute of it as a wife. Even when my guy was flying in Iraq it was still an amazing experience for both him and me.

Anyhooooo as far as the whole selection process goes... you already got the best advice going. Good grades on academics and flights is key and the rest of the selection process is weilded by the hand of god *lol*

As far as places to live, we bought a place over in Coral Creek which is about 1.5 miles out the back gate on Blue Angel Parkway. It was great because the traffic going in the main gate can be a real bi*ch in the morning and the training commands are actually closer to the back gate than the front one anyway. So if you look in the BAPkwy area or out on Perdido Key or Sorrento Road area life with a boyfriend with long hours will be much nicer.

**Avoid the apartments in front of the Coral Creek Subdivision as they are section 8 and there were always problems in the middle of the night which was hard on the guys who had to be up in the early AM for classes. Do not be afraid to buy something in that area either, the turn over for property is pretty good. We had our house sold two months before we were even supposed to leave so it is a safe bet if you buy there of all places in Florida. Check on militaryspot.com and there should be houses on there owned by FSC's listed that you can consider.

Also, get to know the more senior ladies in the OSC once you get there, they will be able to give you some good ideas about where to find work. I taught school at West Pensacola HS and it was pretty good employment and I got my certs pretty quickly too. However, do yourself a favor and don't ever offer an employer the fact that your SO is in the flight program otherwise you will have a hard time finding work that is remotely gratifying.

Just don't expect to get paid scale for anything you do in that area because it is well known that it is the most under paid county in all of Florida for most jobs. However, if you have ever waited tables they are about the only people in P'cola that make an butt load of money esp if you are good at it.

~OleMissF18Wife

a_m

None
great post, especially about coral creek. It's a great place to live.

OleMissF18Wife

Proud of the Few
nope still pretty good!!

Is the housing turnover still good? ...because it seems like the inventory is increasing

There still isn't a lot of housing on the lower west side of pensacola by the back gate. Coral Creek is still pretty much the largest sub-division there and the turn over is still pretty good. Perdido is always much better but you can't go wrong out the back gate.

~OleMissF18Wife

TweedleDee

Banned
Us too!!

We lived in Coral Creek too, off of Antilles Drive, but then again being that short of distance out the back gate I guess living there wasn't much of a leap :)

DH loved the short drive at the crack of dawn. I liked it because I was so close to Dive Pro's on base and off. That and the Perdido dock where we launched from all the time was soooo close too, makes getting up early so much better.

Yeah yeah yeah I did a little diving. About this < > much.:D

TweedleDee

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
OleMissF18Wife said:
Coral Creek... blah blah.... back gate

We lived in Coral Creek too, off of Antilles Drive, but then again being that short of distance out the back gate I guess living there wasn't much of a leap :)
TweedleDee

Well... I would hope you lived there too since you're just one person talking to yourself under two different user names...