• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO training related to Civil aviation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rearden

So what's broken on this jet today, Chief?
None
Hi all, I'm a graduating college senior looking to possibly become an NFO. I have a Private Pilot certificate, and I was wondering how the NFO curriculum can be related to civil aviation training? For instance, would having my Private help me get through NFO training? Also, I've read the two sticky'ed threads regarding NFO training, and in regards to the training flights, how much does the SNFO actually manipulate the controls, or is he/she just telling a pilot what to do?

On another note, I actually applied to the NFO program once and got rejected, does anyone have any suggestions as to things I might do this time around to help my application have a better chance? Are there things that the selection board is particularly interested in seeing?

Thanks for any help, I greatly appreciate it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Rearden said:
Hi all, I'm a graduating college senior looking to possibly become an NFO. I have a Private Pilot certificate, and I was wondering how the NFO curriculum can be related to civil aviation training? For instance, would having my Private help me get through NFO training? Also, I've read the two sticky'ed threads regarding NFO training, and in regards to the training flights, how much does the SNFO actually manipulate the controls, or is he/she just telling a pilot what to do?

On another note, I actually applied to the NFO program once and got rejected, does anyone have any suggestions as to things I might do this time around to help my application have a better chance? Are there things that the selection board is particularly interested in seeing?

Thanks for any help, I greatly appreciate it.
First 8 or so flights are you at the controlls, just to get the jist of things. After that, flight school is pretty much telling the IP what to do. Depending on your pipeline, you'll get instrument quallified, just like any pilot would. In the TACAIR community, the NFOs and the pilot are basically trained the same with respect to aviating - the FO just doesn't have to do the monkey skilz.

Brett

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
This question gets bounced around a lot...

Best advice I can give you is-- don't expect to fly much. It's not your job to push the stick and throttles, it's your job to run the mission.

Into the weeds... you'll get time at the controls in Contact Flights (6 of them). But there's absolutely zero requirement for the stickmonk... err, pilot... to let you fly at all after that. It'll depend on your pilot, even in Contacts. My on-wing had me flying all the time, even all the aerobatics (loops, rolls, split-S, Immelman, etc). I've heard of other students whose instructors only let them fly the absolute minimum... the whole "you're just an NFO" rationale.

Beyond Contacts... If you want to, ask. If they're convinced you're 100% competent in your NFO stuff AND they're alright with it... maybe. If they say no, don't get caught up in it-- you won't have a stick in your fleet aircraft. I've had instructors who let me fly all the time... including formation. I've also had instructors who won't let me fly on a 180-nm leg at FL270.

Flying the plane is kinda cool, but it's icing on the cake. You probably don't believe me, but most of the time you'll be so overtasked doing NFO-type stuff... and you won't have monkey skills developed enough like the SNAs after countless FAMs and BIs

Kolja

Git-r-done
a private pilots license might help you very early on in that you will have already talked on the radio before, and will already have a bit of air sense and (presumably) be comfortable in the air, which for some folks can be steep spots on the learning curve. After that, it's of failry limited utility.

Rearden

So what's broken on this jet today, Chief?
None
Another question, does anyone have an idea as to how much having a private certificate would actually help me get a spot? Or does it not make much difference to the admission board?

Geese

You guys are dangerous.
Rearden said:
Another question, does anyone have an idea as to how much having a private certificate would actually help me get a spot? Or does it not make much difference to the admission board?
It will probably not be very significant by itself, but it will help you acheive higher scores on the astb, which could be significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.