• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO TO PILOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mer

Does anyone know how many NFO they take to Pilot each year via the conversation message and if there has ever been a age waiver approved for pilot, if applicant was above age 32. I am a navy recruiter non pilot type.
thanks,
LT Striker

quickandsure

boggled_125.gif
I arrived late?

doubleeagle

I have looked into this and talked to a CDR flight instructor who seemed to be in the know and he told me that those transfers were dealt with on a case by case basis and there aren't that many granted. Do with that what you will. I know that the book AIRWARRIORS talks about this very subject and at the time of publishing the Navy had eliminated the possibility of that transfer. Now theyt have somewhat lightened up.

Dave Shutter

My rec' (E-6 FO) went through the transfer, got denied, and then accepted after he had already planned on getting out. Anyway, the way he described it is that in addition to a CO's endorsement and being accepted for pilot, you have to be released by the NFO community as well as your present command. The latter was what bit him the first time. One thing that helped him was that he racked up about 1200 hours and several ratings on his own throughout his career. I can't recall his age but he was definitely in his early 30's. As for the # of slots, the year he did it he said there were 31 and while a lot of people did go after them it wasn't the mad rush you'd think it was. After a tour or two most people decide to stay where they are for numerous reasons. I would say to contact the aviation detailer for the specifics.

YAHOO

Mer,

I am currently an NFO to Pilot type in Kingsville. The program is in it's second year after being ressurected in Summer 2001. The board meets annually. The first year they took 15 people, last year (the year I was selected) they took 13. The results for this year were just posted (the board met on Jul 16th) with 10 people being selected.

The prerequisites were fairly straight forward: 1) Recommendation from your CO and his reporting senior (CAG, Commodore, etc...); 2) You had to have at least a year and a half in your fleet squadron; 3) the applicant can not have passed his 31st birthday by the time the board met.

I would recommend going to the BUPERS website and searching under aviation community issues. They'll have the results of the previous three boards, and the schedule fot the next selection board. They also have a complete application template, for those who are interested in applying next year (I believe YG's 99 and junior are eligible next year).

I hope this helps.

Mer

Thanks guys,
I really appreciate your responses. I was in my recruiters office at the time and he had no answers for me.
I am presently in the Army as an AH-64 Apache helicopter instructor. I have wanted to fly jets all my life but I am facing the age thing now, at 32. I can get a waiver for RFO but not pilot and was wondering about the transfer. However according to the responses I have to be less than 31, so I guess that option is out. I know that the RFO program is a good one, however I am not sure if it is exactly what I want or not. After wiggling the sticks for 1200hrs, it might be hard for me to just sit back and be taxied around.
Any more suggestions or imputs?
Mer

04Hopeful

EA3 -> IS3 -> Intel O1(hopefully)
Well Mer, you could always be like me, 32, and too old to get to do anything up in the air ;-) I figured if I really want to fly jets I should probably work on getting rich and buying a Russian MIG to do my flying in LOL

Mer

Hey Hopefull,
What is your situatio? Do you have any time? I might be able to help you with some other programs. Let me know!
Mer

Status
Not open for further replies.