• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO to Pilot before API

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
I've been searching for a while and have not found anything similar to my particular case. So the breif background is that I signed a SNA contract and got NPQ'd at OCS. I just had my third class physical, which I know is no way as thorough as NAMI, but I passed just as I did before OCS.

My question is, is there a way I can get my pilot slot back or would I have to apply for the transfer? If the latter, is there time for me to do so before API?

Im not sure if I have been officially changed to NFO yet. My class officer at OCS said it was all automatic and I haven't signed any new contract or anything.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I know of someone in the same boat as yourself so if you could share any info it would be greatly appreciated.

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
The only way you can get your pilot slot back is to be physically qualified for SNA via NAMI/NOMI. As you noted, it's way more thorough than the FAA 3rd Class. The 3rd class is just to get you legal on the civilian side so you can do IFS (SNFOs get their 3rd Class for the same reason). NOMI is the one that counts for designators, so that's the starting point. As for what happens after getting PQ'd for SNA, I'd ask the officers in student control what the steps would be.

Regarding your contract at OCS, I'll let someone else weigh in on that.

Best of luck with everything, and enjoy IFS (the flying, not the computers).

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
I've been searching for a while and have not found anything similar to my particular case. So the breif background is that I signed a SNA contract and got NPQ'd at OCS. I just had my third class physical, which I know is no way as thorough as NAMI, but I passed just as I did before OCS.

My question is, is there a way I can get my pilot slot back or would I have to apply for the transfer? If the latter, is there time for me to do so before API?

Im not sure if I have been officially changed to NFO yet. My class officer at OCS said it was all automatic and I haven't signed any new contract or anything.

What NPQ'd you? If it was anything other than eyes or a missing limb you can always fight for the waiver. I went through the same thing but reversed, I had gotten switched from NFO to pilot post OCS but pre API, had a kidney tumor discovered by accident, got it waivered. It took 6 months, but I got it and to my surprise the DOC at NPA nami fought tooth and nail for me.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe you can apply for a transfer or a waiver. You can try, but school's command usually isn't very keen on sending waivers or anything that would delay your training, up through the chain.

There is not time before API. They're trying to get you through the pipeline, and as we were told, "anything that will delay your training will likely not be accepted." Unless its a severe medical reason that is hampering you from flying.

I have a somewhat similar situation but also very different, I can explain it in PM or let me know and we can meet up at the O'club when you have a chance.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe you can apply for a transfer or a waiver. You can try, but school's command usually isn't very keen on sending waivers or anything that would delay your training, up through the chain.

There is not time before API. They're trying to get you through the pipeline, and as we were told, "anything that will delay your training will likely not be accepted." Unless its a severe medical reason that is hampering you from flying.

I have a somewhat similar situation but also very different, I can explain it in PM or let me know and we can meet up at the O'club when you have a chance.

I'm basing my question on my own experience 24 years ago, but training at API is the same for SNAs and SNFOs, right? And if that's the case, why can't he run a waiver request and still do API? As long as the issue is resolved (or the request pulled) before he heads to a VT, there shouldn't be any delay in training. Obviously, the nature of the NPQ, which hasn't been revealed, will be a factor in how involved the waiver process might be.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
I'm basing my question on my own experience 24 years ago, but training at API is the same for SNAs and SNFOs, right? And if that's the case, why can't he run a waiver request and still do API? As long as the issue is resolved (or the request pulled) before he heads to a VT, there shouldn't be any delay in training. Obviously, the nature of the NPQ, which hasn't been revealed, will be a factor in how involved the waiver process might be.

Well sir, in an ideal world, yes thats what would be done and how it should be done IMHO. However, they don't make things that easy at school's command. You basically have to jump through a bunch of hoops to try to get a waiver processed from what it sounds like. When I got down here for API, they weren't even letting people go TAD or take leave, as that could delay training according to what we were told.

I'm not suggesting the OP give up or anything, by all means, its his/her career....fight for what you want. Just passing on what i was told/heard.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Well sir, in an ideal world, yes thats what would be done and how it should be done IMHO. However, they don't make things that easy at school's command. You basically have to jump through a bunch of hoops to try to get a waiver processed from what it sounds like. When I got down here for API, they weren't even letting people go TAD or take leave, as that could delay training according to what we were told.

I'm not suggesting the OP give up or anything, by all means, its his/her career....fight for what you want. Just passing on what i was told/heard.

Roger that; you obviously have the more current experience at API and know how they roll there now. I guess the larger point is that it doesn't hurt to ask, no one should tell you that you can't submit a request chit, and the worst that can happen is that someone says "no." It just seems that "delaying training" is a piss poor excuse, when nothing is preventing him from classing up for API, even with a request in the pipeline.

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
First, thank you for all the responses.

Second, to clarify my NPQ was for distance vision. I got 20/25 left and 20/30 right at MEPS/Civilian before OCS.

At OCS I got 20/70.

Just had my third class and got 20/20 left and 20/30 right.

I have talked to the LT at flight management and he didn't know what to do. I was referred to the LT at the re-designation office who also did not know what to do. She said she would make some calls to try and find out. She even mentioned that due to the paperwork taking such a long time to process at milpers that my NPQ my not even have been processed yet and could be halted until NAMI, thus enabling me to continue for pilot. Ether way pilot or NFO I'll have an awesome career and I'll post back to help anyone in this situation in the future as soon as I hear anything. It's mostly just the principle that bothers me that they would NPQ you for something like that while deprived of sleep, food, and under physical exhaustion at OCS; and then refuse to honor a fair physical. That and that fact that I'd rather be at the controls.

EDIT: I also have at least 6-8 weeks before I would class up for API due to IFS, DIVOLC, and NAMI.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
NPQ my not even have been processed yet and could be halted until NAMI

This would not surprise me in the least. That NAMI physical should be coming up soon if I remember things correctly. I feel like mine was about a week or two after I checked in to 633.

The best thing you can do right now is prove to NAMI that you are PQ. Get a good night sleep the day before, stay hydrated, and you could even get some of those artificial tears from the drug store... I use them because of the PRK in my left eye. If my eyes dry out I can tell a noticeable degradation in vision. The artificial tears work wonders.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
I'm assuming eye drops are not allowed at OCS?

I'm worried about the same thing the OP had happen. I was 20/35 in my right eye near vision at MEPS, and in OCS conditions could see myself getting dropped from SNA.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I had the same thing at Newport. I failed the initial screening eye test, but policy then was to bring you back when you were in CandiO phase when you were better rested and try again. I got 20/30ish the second time around and passed. Did they not do that for you?

And have you not done the NAMI physical in PCola? Passing that would prove you're PQ.

Oh, and hate to say this, but the FAA eye test is much easier than the NAMI one. The NAMI one has specific lighting and other parameters that make it tougher. It is meant to screen people out, which blows.

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
Yeah I was able to re-test at OCS but it was all as a OC. I got less sleep as a Candio than I did as a OC anyways. It went from 20/70 to 20/60 to inconstant on 20/40, so I was one good day away from being PQ'd. Progessively better but after the third test they called it quits. I could tell after OCS my body was physically sick, I look at pictures and just see how pale and sick my face look. I worked out as hard as I could but I actually got weaker at OCS. Something about that program just did not work for me.

NAMI at PCola is done the week before you class up for API right now. That means I wont be doing it for a while because of IFS, DIVOLC, etc.

Thanks for the tip about the eye drops I might actually pick some up, it cant hurt. I know I dont have perfect vision, but I've never worn glasses and have passed every eye test except at OCS. I think I at least can make the 20/40 cut, I just want to get whatever ball I need rolling so that when I do, Im not running around a week before API trying to get something to happen.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I failed the initial screening eye test, but policy then was to bring you back when you were in CandiO phase when you were better rested and try again.

Hahaha, better rested as a candio? No such thing!