• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO to ANG CSO

After my contract is up, if I want to continue flying, can I go over to ANG and be a CSO? I have seen a lot of info on this for pilots but not much for NFO.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
After my contract is up, if I want to continue flying, can I go over to ANG and be a CSO? I have seen a lot of info on this for pilots but not much for NFO.

There are steadily diminishing number of flying CSO slots left in the ANG from what I know. When I went through flight school ages ago half the USAF folks in my class were ANG types but they were largely going to plain C-130's which are largely transitioning to cockpits without NAV's/CSO's, while a few were going to KC-135's which rarely if ever fly with Navs any more. There are a few units that still fly with CSO's, the PA ANG flies MC-130J's and the CA ANG flies HC-130J's which both have a CSO on their crew, but I think they are the exception nowadays and in the future.

For non-flying jobs, there are likely more options but it'll depend on the state and unit.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There’s also the OKC unit that currently flies MC-12s, and is switching to OA-1Ks. They’re aggressively hiring CSOs now (both brand new folks and previously qualified CSOs/NFOs) given the requirements of the new platform.

What Flash said is true though, I looked into it recently and it’s pretty much some flavor of C-130 or the OKC unit. You’ll have much better luck transitioning from Navy or AF active duty to a reserve unit that flies the same aircraft.

Of course there’s nothing stopping you from doing your commitment as an NFO/CSO and then rushing a guard unit as a pilot candidate (depending on your age when you separate from active duty).

Out of curiosity, what state are you looking to go back to?

Last edited:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are steadily diminishing number of flying CSO slots left in the ANG...
And on the Navy side we are well into that trend for Reserve NFOS, especially Tacair.

There’s also the OKC unit that currently flies MC-12s, and is switching to OA-1Ks. They’re aggressively hiring CSOs now (both brand new folks and previously qualified CSOs/NFOs) given the requirements of the new platform.

What Flash said is true though, I looked into it recently and it’s pretty much some flavor of C-130 or the OKC unit. You’ll have much better luck transitioning from Navy or AF active duty to a reserve unit that flies the same aircraft.

Of course there’s nothing stopping you from doing your commitment as an NFO/CSO and then rushing a guard unit as a pilot candidate (depending on your age when you separate from active duty).

Out of curiosity, what state are you looking to go back to?
Michigan, I have looked and they do have a couple ANG wings with CSOs and that’s why I was wondering

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Michigan, I have looked and they do have a couple ANG wings with CSOs and that’s why I was wondering
Gotcha. What units are you thinking of? I’m aware of a KC-135 unit, an A-10 unit, and an MQ-9 unit, none of which offer flying opportunities for CSOs. There are certainly staff jobs available though.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Active duty USAF—> ANG is not a bad life, per folks I worked with who did 20+ on that path.

Is pilot an option for you in the Navy/ Air Force, or are you only eligible for NFO/CSO?