• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO Sleep Deprivation?

Enigma

I know that during OCS all candidates get very little sleep for weeks. The Navy as a whole is also known to overwork its sailors giving them little opportunity to sleep, especially amongst the SWO. But I've read online that NFOs and Aviators get a little more sleep than the rest. Is this true? Is there any sleep deprivation during flight school or afterwards for NFO/Aviators? Other than OCS, will they ever be chronically sleep-deprived?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
what-are-you-talking-about-huh.gif

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know that during OCS all candidates get very little sleep for weeks. The Navy as a whole is also known to overwork its sailors giving them little opportunity to sleep, especially amongst the SWO. But I've read online that NFOs and Aviators get a little more sleep than the rest. Is this true? Is there any sleep deprivation during flight school or afterwards for NFO/Aviators? Other than OCS, will they ever be chronically sleep-deprived?
Do a search for crew rest in aviation. Probably more about it on google than on this site.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
From the MPRA perspective, flights on deployment are frequently 8 to 11+ hours long. The 3 pilots can switch out, but the FOs are always awake which can be mentally draining, especially if you’re flying around the clock tracking a sub. The other thing that sucks, and I’m sure is present in all platforms, is switching from day to night to day to night etc… getting off and onto a completely flipped schedule sucks ass, but is necessary depending on the OPTEMPO or if you have a crap OPS department.

Crew rest doesn’t mean that you’ll always be bright eyed and bushy tailed. You’ll have good days, bad days, and “it is what it is” days whether you are flying on any particular day or just banging out your ground job.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
Marine pilots generally get a full 8 hours of shut-eye, but apparently Navy aviators have to stay up to listen to 'woke poetry' while deployed...SMH

God forbid the U.S. Navy find ways for its Sailors to express themselves in healthy and creative ways. I'm pretty sure poetry readings on ships have existed for decades if not longer. This "wokeness" bullshit has gotten so out of hand that it's become a scapegoat for anything that Conservatives don't like.

Maybe Senator Tuberville should spend less time trying to tell Naval leadership how to do their jobs, and more time doing HIS ACTUAL FUCKING JOB and confirming the DoD senate nominees.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
From the MPRA perspective, flights on deployment are frequently 8 to 11+ hours long. The 3 pilots can switch out, but the FOs are always awake which can be mentally draining, especially if you’re flying around the clock tracking a sub. The other thing that sucks, and I’m sure is present in all platforms, is switching from day to night to day to night etc… getting off and onto a completely flipped schedule sucks ass, but is necessary depending on the OPTEMPO or if you have a crap OPS department.

Crew rest doesn’t mean that you’ll always be bright eyed and bushy tailed. You’ll have good days, bad days, and “it is what it is” days whether you are flying on any particular day or just banging out your ground job.
Onboard ship is a different story but if your platform spends a lot of time working out of landside bases moderation is the name of the game when out with the crew.

number9

Contributor
God forbid the U.S. Navy find ways for its Sailors to express themselves in healthy and creative ways. I'm pretty sure poetry readings on ships have existed for decades if not longer. This "wokeness" bullshit has gotten so out of hand that it's become a scapegoat for anything that Conservatives don't like.

Maybe Senator Tuberville should spend less time trying to tell Naval leadership how to do their jobs, and more time doing HIS ACTUAL FUCKING JOB and confirming the DoD senate nominees.
The relationship between warfighting and poetry/literature is thousands of years old...

GroundPounder

The relationship between warfighting and poetry/literature is thousands of years old...
Perhaps I stabbed our Savior
In His sacred helpless side.
Yet I've called His name in blessing
When in after times I died.

Through the travail of the ages
Midst the pomp and toil of war
Have I fought and strove and perished
Countless times upon this star.

I have sinned and I have suffered
Played the hero and the knave
Fought for belly, shame or country
And for each have found a grave.

So as through a glass and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names — but always me.

So forever in the future
Shall I battle as of yore,
Dying to be born a fighter
But to die again once more.
1694178684099.png

" I was there "

Last edited:

taxi1

pilot
State the reason for your question

taxi1

pilot
'woke poetry'

I read this at a memorial for a sailor

Crossing the Bar

By Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea,

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;

For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crost the bar.

This guy died in a mid-air in training after publishing his poem.

High Flight

By John Gillespie Magee Jr.

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
of sun-split clouds,—and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of—wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air ....

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark nor ever eagle flew—
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

I wrote this one...

Roses are red
Violets are blue
F*** you too
Berville

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Mentally prepare myself should I be chronically sleep deprived for long periods of time. OCS is only a few weeks, so I can suck that up. But if it's for years?

Put simply, you're worrying about nothing. There will be times when you're tired, but at home, you're required to have at least 10 hours away from the squadron. On deployment, sleep can be precious, especially the more senior you get, but it's doable and it's not for "years."