• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ex Rigger

pilot
I was just selected for SNFO. It wasn't my first choice so I don't really know quite what to think right now. I am still excited about the opportuninty to go back to aviation but I wanted to know some more about NFO. I worry about what kind of opportunities being an NFO can offer me when I retire at 37. I also was wondering if anybody knew about a rumor I heard about getting #1 in API and being able to switch to pilot. Any information would be appreciated. I was in an F-14 squadron before going STA-21 but I still don't really know that much about NFO's.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Well, you might have to ask a few more specific questions before we can help you..

First off, because NFOs are systems operators as much as aviators, the difference between one and another is huge... probably moreso than on the pilot side. An EA-6B ECMOs job doesn't have a whole lot in common with an E-2 bubba's. So any FO you talk to will give you a whole different shpiel... and by the same count, your career opportunities will vary accordingly.

So if you're Navy, you look at 4 different categories:

P-3s/EP-3s (and E-6s I suppose)
E-2s
EA-6Bs
F/A-18Fs

I also was wondering if anybody knew about a rumor I heard about getting #1 in API and being able to switch to pilot.

Yeah, that was true when I was going through... but I didn't really care in API all that much and didn't try ;) Bottom line is that most folks when they get out to flight training end up being happy with being 'FOs anyways

As far as career opportunities... well, I mean... other than being an airline pilot, I don't know that being an SNA is any better. And being one of the 50% who goes helos won't exactly deliver you to the Delta 777 captain's chair either.

Bottom line is that being a military officer in the first place will carry weight in the civilian sector. Being the mission commander of a multimillion dollar aircraft that carries lots of things that go boom will also carry weight. And if you really want to worry about your life after the military, there's opportunities to get your postgraduate degree on your shore tour.

I would also recommend the 'Summary of NFO flight school' post that's rolling around here... it's quite comprehensive, though remember it'll only apply to Prowler bubbas...

Ex Rigger

pilot
Thanks for the gouge. I probably will lose interest in SNA once training starts up. I originally always wanted to return to Tomcats but that doesn't seem like a possibility. My old squadron VF-211 isn't even VF-211 anymore. I guess a specific question would be the differences in platforms for FO's. i.e pros/cons/opportunities.....I would assume the F-18 role would be similar to the Tomcats except minus TARPS missions. I don't think hornets do anything like that...do they?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NFO Stuff

Second tour Prowler NFO here happy to answer any questions!

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Heh... just flew with a former VF-211 RIO the other day...

Yeah the Super Bug will be doing a lot of the same type things the F-14 did. Tactical Recon will be one of them. Not using a TARPS pod, but a SHARP (Shared Reconnaissance Pod)

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Brett327 said:
Second tour Prowler NFO here happy to answer any questions!

Brett,

Were you one one my my RAG studs? Don't let them ever make you leave Whidbey. I still miss the place. I am assuming you are going some kind of expeditionary to CV rotation.

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
My friend is a P-3 pilot and he said that because the pilot and NFO sit side-by-side in that aircraft, the airlines consider it "stick time" for the NFO as well. Could be wrong here though. Can anyone else correct me if I'm wrong please? Thanks

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
wiseguy04 said:
My friend is a P-3 pilot and he said that because the pilot and NFO sit side-by-side in that aircraft, the airlines consider it "stick time" for the NFO as well. Could be wrong here though. Can anyone else correct me if I'm wrong please? Thanks
That's not "could be wrong" but "would be wrong".

The only planes NFOs ever got stick time for were S-3s and C-12s (they used to have NFOs go through training in Wichita and fly copilot for station birds). That was because the NFO actually had a stick. Only NFOs with a FAA multiengine liscense could log the time, and than only in their civilian books.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
P-3 NFOs

Having crewed on P-3s before I became a Prowler NFO, I can tell you that the NFOs on P-3s could not be more divorced from the actual aviating. They don't sit in the cockpit, and the NAV they do is more of a planning nature than actual inflight NAV. Plus, most of them are gay (at least that's what I hear).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Meat!

I was going to chastise you for your unnecessarily long signature on your posts. Why don't you just list your entire logbook? I think I was in the RAG before your time there, or perhaps you were doing IUT, but I'm well aware of your exploits nonetheless. Are you at the War College? I'm enjoying shore duty down here in San Diego, but I do miss NUW (I never thought that I'd say that). Good times. Maybe you could tell the group here why you called in that noise complaint on your own airframe, or is that just another O Club rumor trying to bring down the oft maligned Meat. Good times!

GED

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Brett327 said:
I was going to chastise you for your unnecessarily long signature on your posts. Why don't you just list your entire logbook? I think I was in the RAG before your time there, or perhaps you were doing IUT, but I'm well aware of your exploits nonetheless. Are you at the War College? I'm enjoying shore duty down here in San Diego, but I do miss NUW (I never thought that I'd say that). Good times. Maybe you could tell the group here why you called in that noise complaint on your own airframe, or is that just another O Club rumor trying to bring down the oft maligned Meat. Good times!

GED

Brett,

Already did the War College thing. Three years at the Navy Warfare Development Command. Like a wise man once said, "Where do you want to be when you find out you don't screen for command?" A sailboat in Narraganset Bay isn't a bad choice. Pretty sure that I will never be back to Whidbey (at least flying).

Noise complaint. If 129 could fly a pattern ....... :D

Signature. After someone gave me bad rep points for making a wisecrack about FAG (Fighter Attack Guys), I decided to let my credentials speak for themselves. I think I have the experience to talk about the fleet after all. At least I didn't mention the two class "Alphas". :eek:

ip568

None
Not for you

If you are the frustrated pilot you appear to be, stay out of NFO training. The training will wash you out before you get winged and we FOs need the best, not "second choicers."

Good luck.

ip568

Ex Rigger

pilot
You don't know anything about me or what it will take me to "wash me out". I've worked my ass off to get to where I am since I came into this Navy as an E-1. I sure as hell am not gonna get washed out simply because I labeled pilot as my first choice on a piece of paper. I am allowed to have a second choice in my career path if I so choose. I never said I was unhappy with NFO. I only had some questions about the career path and what the job will entail for differing aircraft. I am neither "frustrated" nor a "pilot" so get off your high horse.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Atta boy. Good spirit.

There is a lot of information in the NFO Threads. The summary of NFO training is outstanding. If after reading the various threads and you need specific info, sometimes direct questions will get good answers, but not always!

The bit about being first in your API class entitles you to switch to Pilot? Horse Hockey. It just ain't true. The Navy needs GOOD NFO's, ergo you are LESS likely to be changed to pilot if you do well.

And: NFO training is tough. Never underestimate it.

ip568

None
Ok

Good luck to you.

Vp1sp2h.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.