• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO Platform Selection/Assignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

room5047

Hooyah shipmates,

OK, none of that "Can I lateral to pilot?" rub-a-dub here. But...

As an aspiring SNFO, I'd like to hear from some folks who know just what a FO's chances are of getting a particular platform. I understand that maritime FO's are siphoned off after Primary, and the E2 community takes theirs next after Intermediate. Are these billets normally filled by SNFO's who high-select them, or do many with lower NSS's who are hoping for Strike or Fighter get shanghaied into the low and slow service?

Yes, it's an art and not a science, and yes, luck plays the better part, and YES, ultimately, gold bars and wings of any type are groovy, but this pre-candidate would just like to get a handle on the numbers and the facts of initial NFO assignments.

show me your WAARRRR face!

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
My buddy just selected not long ago from SNFO primary in P-cola. The top 3 guys wanted P-3's. The selection was 1-P3, 2-E2C2, 3-P3, 4-strike and then a bunch of strike guys. There seem to be alot of strike billets for NFO's. The opposite for SNA's. So, if you wanted to be a strike NFO, I dont think that would be a problem. The P-3 billets are the hard ones to get.

Dave

BYSun

Just out of curiosity,

what do you suppose makes P-3s attractive?

Bryce

Those who aren't living on the edge are taking up too much space.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lots of per diem, in flight meals, no haze grey underway, racking out during long transits to station, getting the responsiblity of a detachment across the globe as a fairly junior officer are just some. I got a ride on a P-3, even got to fly it, when I was an applicant (the good 'ol days). Kinda cool for the first exposure to Naval Aviation. But it wasn't for me.

Pat1USMC

Enroute to VMAQ-1
After primary, there were 3 P-3 slots. The top three who wanted them got them.
After intermediate, there was one E-2 slot. The top guy wanted it, he got it.
After Strike Core (8 flights into Advanceed), there are usually 2 strike fighter for Navy, and the rest strike.
For Marines, its been 1/2 and 1/2. The same for AF too.
They take the top students who want a platform, and go from there.

hotshotgunship

Pat1USMC

I can't remember what site showed a visual of the pipline and what aircraft was classified in what category. Can you guys refer me to a site that visually shows the pipline so I can print that out. As to what wink is saying. I can understand vaguely, but that still is incomprehensible. Tell me more, why is it the other way around for NFO. P-3 and E-2 are interesting, but If I were to go NFO I think F-14 or EA6B would be perfect for me. Are they making F-18 two seaters, or are those primarly for training purposes????

Pat1USMC

Enroute to VMAQ-1
No, the Navy F-18B/F and Marine F-18D are 2 seaters. Not just training. Most people went P-3's because they didn't want to go on the boat and they think they'll be at home more, and because its not tactical. I don't really know that much about it, but thats what they all said. I think the guy that went E-2s went because he was sick of Pensacola and didn't want to go to VT-86. You'll find that once you get to flight school, you'll change your mind a bunch of times.
As for the pipeline, i'll try to find something...

Pat1USMC

Enroute to VMAQ-1
Heres one: http://www.upenn.edu/nrotc/service/nfo.html
Advanced Nav training is where P-3 guys break off. Theres a mistake though, the E-2 guys break off right after advanced, but the Strike and StrikeFighter don't separate until after the Strike Core program, which is about 2months after intermediate...
Other than that, its pretty good...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For a good web site go the the Commander Naval Aviation Training Command (CNATR) site. Can't remember the address. There are no deployed F-18Bs in the Navy, they are for F-18 RAG(transition)use. The F-18F is dedicated two seat. They are hitting the fleet now. Everyone is different and like it was said, you will probably even change your mind a couple times in training. Don't get too worked up over it now. Once you get to Pcola you will get to talk to guys right off their first fleet tour. Talk to them about what they liked and didn't like. I'll tell ya though, most everyone is satisfied with what they flew in the fleet. It would be rare for someone to wave you off a particular airframe. So you will still have to think hard about what is right for you.

Phiman

Question, are most of the F-18F billets going to transitioning F-14 RIO's or are a decent amount of SNFO's getting them. Just curious, I mean that's a lot of NFO's who need a new job in the near future.

quickandsure

bouncy_125.gif
Off to P'cola for NSFO. Very bad eyes sooo no can drive the bus.

Great site, debt of gratitude to webmaster, sponsors and participants.

Pat1USMC - link to University of Penn great. Understand the pipeline for NFO, finally!

S'plain please. What does "total time" mean? Under strike, where i wanna go, shows 120 hours and 52 weeks.

Slow learner me thinks.

Jold

Think that is total time in aircraft (or simulator) in back seat as SNFO. You only get 6 flights total actual on stick time.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not just F-14 guys going to the Super Bug. Some S-3 guys that are losing their jobs with the retirement of the Viking are going F-18F. There will be guys going to the Super Bug from VT-86 though. The Navy needs the squadron to have the right mix of seniority. Can't have just a bunch of senior LTs and LCDRs in the squadron. Have to have those nuggets for the coffee mess, PAO and assorted other good deals.

Meridiani

Originally posted by Pat1USMC
Heres one: http://www.upenn.edu/nrotc/service/nfo.html

Sadly, this link no longer works.
icon_smile_sad.gif
Does anyone know if they moved the webpage, and if so, to where? I've seen the one on the CNATRA website, but I liked the fact that the one at upenn showed the number of weeks for each step in the pipeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.