• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phiman

I was just wondering if I could get some info on NFO's. I went and took my flight physical at NAS Jax and I barely passed the vision minimums for pilot, I have 20/40 which is aparently good enough to be a pilot, but I was told my vision will slowly become worse. This is bad considering I still have two years until I graduate college (Go Gators). So basically my question is what are the vision standards for NFO and if I get to API and don't make pilot standards would I just get rolled into a NFO slot? And how hard/often do NFO's go to pilot slots? Thanks.

gt0767a

Vision requirements for NFO are 20/200. As for NFOs going to Pilot, my rec said that 10% a year (but take it with a grain of salt). You could also consider PRK to correct your vision and then see if you can get a waiver to become a pilot. Hope that helps.

OC Christine

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Are you wearing cheaters to reduce the stress on your eyes? If not, get some. Preferably prescribed by a physician. They will help and may "strengthen" your eyes. I know you can't really strenghten eyesight but you can prolong it's decay. I have always worn cheaters when I read or flying at night if I'm tired. My grandma worked for a optometrist and he convinced me early on to protect my eyes. Luckily, at 36, I'm still 20/15-20/20 (depends on how much drinking I did the night before). Good luck! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Frumby,
What exactly are "cheaters," are they glasses or contacts?

PeacoatMan

Major Frumby,

My question is the same as the above. If I were to go to an optometrist, what would be the correct medical term for cheaters? Do many aviators wear these? It sounds like a wise investment.

Respectfully,
Joey

Status
Not open for further replies.