• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO in the Hawkeye

Status
Not open for further replies.

cindy

After careful though, my lifelong dream of flying jet fighters was probably just a fantasy. I know that a pipeline is not necessarily mine to choose, still "be careful what you ask for".

With that caveat, AEWS Hawkeye sounds like what I would like to do. Ergo, would like to ask for some guidance and/or thoughts on the E-2 from the NFO perspective.

BTW: As we look forward to more UAV's, perhaps even as part of an airwing, E-2 seems to be the center of that universe.

Thanks in advance.

To the Webmaster: Thanks so much for your dedication and for this wonderful web site.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not sure what you mean by your "lifelong dream of flying jet fighters was probably just a fantasy."

E-2 NFO's go through the same training as a jet NFO through Intermediate. At the end of Intermediate they have a selection for E-2 or jets. It was known as the E-2 draft because so few guys wanted to go E-2's, though a few did. So to answer your question, the path to E-2's is the same as flying jets until about halfway through flight school for NFO's. They then go to the E-2 RAG and getted winged part way through their training there (at least last time I checked). As for their future, there are only 2 airplanes being produced for the Navy right now, the E-2 and the F/A-18E/F, their future is secure.

BTW, I am not an E-2 NFO, any want to jump in?

cindy

E2 draft is my point. Have also heard that. But after looking into it, it seems the E2 would be an exciting path. I am anxious to give up my thoughts of a back seat in an F18 for a chance at E2.

Any advice or insight into E-2 appreciated.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
What about the F-35 JSF? That should roll into production in a few years.... and I dont know about the UCAV and all... that seems like a while into the future... Just remember when the cruise missiles got really popular... people said that was the end to manned aircraft...

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cindy-
Are you looking at it from a responsibilities type of job or which would be more enjoyable to fly? I guess it would be cool to say that you essentially tell everyone else to go, but that wouldn't get you very far in a bar (not that being an NFO really does anyway). It's a shame that the S-3s are sundowning, FO's actually got a stick. As a non-FO I can't tell you about the glories of being in the back. If you want a view of what's going on outside, go jets. If you want a view of EVERYTHING going on outside (displayed on a screen), go Hawkeyes.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have to second what K-Mac said about the S-3. If you ever get the chance to go S-3 I would recommend it. I am a Viking pilot on my first sea tour with 1,000 hours in the Hoover. It has been the greatest platform ever! The NFO's in the community are world class and have got the benefit of getting just as much front seat time as back seat time. If the NFO I'm flying with want's to fly the jet, then I normally let them (OK, I don't let them land it, except once, he's in the pilot program now). I'm transitioning to the E-2/C-2 community after my next cruise as part of the sundown and I'll really miss flying the War Hoover!

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
VetteMuscle427 said:
What about the F-35 JSF? That should roll into production in a few years.... and I dont know about the UCAV and all... that seems like a while into the future... Just remember when the cruise missiles got really popular... people said that was the end to manned aircraft...

Single seat man... ie no fo

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
VetteMuscle427 said:

NFO's won't fly in the SINGLE SEAT JSF...Unless you strap yourself into the bombbay...or hide in the landing gear...

Wait a minute....are talking about NFO's or UCAV's/UAV's??? I'm confused...Hey, next time turn on your turn signal when changing subjects...

ea6bflyr

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
From how I understand it, the E-2 is actually a very good choice, career-wise. Gives you a strong chance at becoming a CAG or the CO of a carrier because you gain the wider perspective into how all the different platforms interact. I may be full of it, but at least that's the scuttlebutt..

Typically, there's only 1 or 2 E-2 slots available after Intermediate anyways, and nobody wants them. They'll either go to somebody who doesn't have the NSS to get jets, or just gets ridiculously airsick (it's not unheard of). So if you DO have the grades and WANT it, it's yours for the taking.

VT-86 is taking very, very few NFOs for the S-3B... if any. The JSF will be a single seat platform. As it stands right now, your options as an NFO will be

P-3, EP-3, E-6 (select after primary, go to Randolph AFB)
E-2 (select after intermediate, go to Norfolk)
EA-6B, F/A-18F (select after the first few flights in Advanced along with the jarheads and the Chair Force)

cindy

Thanks T&B55. Very helpful.

Few questions, if I may:

What does you class look like, e.g., do all want P3's or Jets? Mixed bag?

How competitive is primary as I guess it is the major input (Grade wise) for selection.

How large is class?

Thanks much.

Cin

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For what it is worth I echo what Hoover pilot said about the Viking. Not worth much to you guys since it is going away. Whether drafted or not, I consistantly found the E-2 bubbas the most professional squared away bunch in the airwing without a doubt, and I worked with four different VAW squadrons over the years. Maybe it was because their engines didn't suck and blow but they did tend to be a little bit less colorful. They went about their jobs with quiet professionalism, competence, and good humor. As to the future, the big money (opportunities) is in IW (EA6B, EF-18F?) and AEW.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Vikings aren't going to be a frequent option from flight school, but they are still an option for the time being. My Viking RAG contact say's the last CAT 1 student will start maybe in Oct 04 but Rumorbuster said that the Vikings will be avail for selection until Oct 05. Probably just not at a very high rate.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
cindy said:
Thanks T&B55. Very helpful.

Few questions, if I may:

What does you class look like, e.g., do all want P3's or Jets? Mixed bag?

How competitive is primary as I guess it is the major input (Grade wise) for selection.

How large is class?

Thanks much.

Cin

1- My class was actually fairly realistic about their abilities. A lot of folks will go through primary and just get sick of being strapped in the back seat, thrown around and throwing up, so they decide P-3s are for them. It was mostly split by the time selection came along, though a few were forced to take the P-3 bit...

2- Competitiveness varies. It's all about the 5 words you'll hate most-- "The needs of the service". Some classes get screwed. Some get what they want. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but that's just the reality of flight school :(

3- My class was unusually large- 14 people in my squadron, plus another 17 in VT-4. That's abnormal, like I say... you can expect 10 or less in your squadron probably.

Hooverpilot- that might be the case for pilots, but I assure you it's not for NFOs. I'm looking at my contract right now, and it specifically says I will get either E-2Cs if I go to VAW-120... EA-6Bs or F/A-18Fs if I go to VT-86. There are no slots for S-3s remaining in CTW-6 unless the policy changes soon.

ghiaman74

I am currently in VT-4 and there are enough people in the squadron who want E-2s that the 'draft ' really isn't a factor.

Fredster809

I hear next to no talk about E-6's. Does anybody have any insight on that community?????? Where they are stationed?? What that job is like??? How many NFO's from each class go E-6. I know about carrier aircraft from serving on one and I have some friends who know P-3 people, but nothing on the E-6.

Status
Not open for further replies.