• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Next Commandant an aviator? SECDEF nominates ACMC to be CMC

altuc

Reading the comments, I do hope that the decision was not a political one in the sense that he supports the DADT repeal, and the other two General's do not. Good luck to General Amos nevertheless.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Well holy shit...he was our GOH at our Mess night at TBS. The night started off just right when my buddy bumped into him during pre-game at the Hawk and spilled the General's drink all over his trousers and shoes. Gen Amos laughed and pressed on, Gin and Tonic stain pattern and all.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Who did General Mattis piss off? I would have put my money on him, and he's not even getting ACMC.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who did General Mattis piss off? I would have put my money on him, and he's not even getting ACMC.

He's been odds on favorite to be in charge of warfighters overseas. With Patreaus passing out today (hors de Congress), maybe that will be sooner than later. I wouldn't rule him out just yet...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I waved Amos a long, long time ago and got to know him a little bit when he was in VMFA-212 and the squadron was CQ'in ... and I know Mattis compliments of a 'mutual friend' -- he said I could call him 'Jimmy'. I wonder if I still could today ... ?? :)

Based on their personalities: there's not a scintilla of doubt in my mind why Amos got it and Mattis did not ...

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
True story: I was hanging out in the lobby of NATO ACT Headquarters in Norfolk while my boss was talking to the Italian 4 star. I was looking at the pictures of all the senior NATO officers at the command when out of nowhere and with a ninja-silent approach, GEN Mattis slaps me on the back and says, "I wouldn't buy a used car from any one of 'em!" I laughed my ass off while the Warrior Monk bolted out the door with his aide about 5 steps behind.

Clux4

Banned
Gen Amos is definitely the wild card. I have met him on a few occasions; great guy I would say.

Gen Mattis is not married, he is considered strange. He has no spouse, so he is therefore not considered stable by American societal standards. It is a feat in and of itself that he made it this far considering his peculiarity. There is rumor that he did not necessarily get along with Gen Conway and that is why Gen Conway favored LtGen Dunford. My guess is that since Gates initially favored Mattis and Conway favored Dunford, Amos was a safe compromise.

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
There's some historical precedence for a guy being everyone's second choice and thus becoming a unanimous selection. Gen Al Gray ended up CMC under similar circumstances. And, he was much like Mattis - bachelor for most of his career (until he was a one-star), not politically correct, a Marine's Marine. I think Mattis will be a strong contender for CENTCOM, then who knows after that.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
One, combatant commanders are in many ways bigger wheels than service chiefs. We'll see how those roll.

I've met them both. They are both hugely capable, but come at you from very different directions--for those of you who've been around a bit, their contrast is the same as LtGen Bedard and Gen Pace. For A4s, I would say that Mattis is Patton and Amos is Eisenhower. Both types of leadership have their place, and I think the SecDef is exactly right in his decision-making if this plays out the way some are speculating.

I've met other Flag Officers, and some of them make one think,"How did that guy get put in charge?" Neither one of these guys falls in that category.

As for those who have their pet theories about DADT or being in the pocket of the aerospace industry and such, I just don't buy any of it.

I, for one, think that some of the "outside the box," (to use a huge cliche) thinking, that we as aviators value, will be of great use during a time of huge change. Every other CMC has been a grunt. Maybe someone else can bring something different to the table.

Feet Wet

I certainly agree with Phrog Driver's assessment that both are very capable. I do however, believe that DADT is a HUGE part of the SecDef's decision. I could be wrong...hopefully not...

IRfly

None
WHAT? Politics possibly playing a part in promotions/assignments?!? In the military??? Stop the presses!!!