• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New wings approved for AMDO/Aviation LDO/CWOs

Pags

N/A
pilot
Because you are rated as a Naval Aviator or Naval Flight Officer at the completion of flight school. Isn't it true that your designator isn't whatever a pin-wearing shoe's is until you get the blessing from your skipper that you've successfully earned your pin?

Flight school is essentially a huge PQS that results in a qualification. There would be too many different instructions on how one would earn their wings should you push it to the RAG/Fleet squadron level. When would you give a F/A-18 pilot his wings vs an F/A-18F pilot? What about a P-3 NFO vs an ECMO? Each community within aviation would have to essentially have its own set of regs on how to earn wings.

And what do you mean after you qualify? Qualify as mission commander? Aircraft commander? 1P? Section lead? Division Lead?

Wings are pretty much the only warfare device that is given upon completion of a formal school instead of a PQS done at the fleet level. Others I can think of that require a PQS are SWO, Dolphins, ESWS and EAWS. There was talk of not giving aircrew their wings until they finished a PQS at the squadron vice out of the RAG. Not sure what happened to that.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
I've seen the AMDO pqs - they aren't just giving it away (certainly compared to the aviation supply device, for instance).

I'd rather see good maintenance officers get those wings than have "HAC, but..."s keep theirs.

S.O.B.

pilot
Ok, but how does making it through flight school qualify you for a warfare pin? Wouldn't it seem more appropriate to get the warfare pin at least after the RAG or better yet, after you qualify in your first squadron?

I agree, seeing an AMDO with some sort of wings doesn't seem as ridiculous as a JG that attrited from the FRS wearing NA wings.

If you can't fly for any reason other then medical the wings should no longer be worn.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree, seeing an AMDO with some sort of wings doesn't seem as ridiculous as a JG that attrited from the FRS wearing NA wings.

If you can't fly for any reason other then medical the wings should no longer be worn.

What about when you're on DIFDEN post DH and there aren't flying orders available?

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
No kidding. I saw my E-3 air force cousin almost exactly two months after he left boot camp and he had some gay insignia thing above the, no shit, four ribbons on his chest. He spent boot camp and two months in the air force and had two rows of ribbons while I had wings and a pizza stain right after flight school. All I could do was shake my head. At least he recognized my incredulous look and understood that he was wearing five participation awards.

This is no different than the Navy. I cannot tell you how many Ensign's I have seen running around with 4 ribbons or more months out of the Academy or ROTC. Same goes for a lot of the E-3's in the Navy.

About the ONLY branch I do not see this is the Marine Corps.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I blame it on the supply weenies. They started this madness with all their different devices. "Oh....I'm a SWOchop....and a SUBchop...yup, I'm an AIRchop too!" This made the medical guys feel inadequate and follow suit, and it expanded from there.
You're fucking support. If you want to be anything else, redesignate URL.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Bullshit. The provision is there if you are FNAEBed due to "bringing disgrace upon naval aviation" or "willful violation of rules and regulations." So if you're an idiot, they're gone anyway. Why kick someone in the nuts unnecessarily? How about two guys who attrite out of tailhook land because they can't fly the ball well enough. One gets a lat transfer to P-3s, but the other's year group is overmanned, and gets sent to be an Intel O. Why should guy #2 lose his wings when he did no worse than guy #1?

I think with all the senior leadership eyeballs on the case of anyone who gets FNAEBed, they can be trusted to decide whether someone who attrites deserves A(3), B(1) or B(2). If you're that worried about people earning wings who can't measure up, attrite 'em before they get 'em.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
This is no different than the Navy. I cannot tell you how many Ensign's I have seen running around with 4 ribbons or more months out of the Academy or ROTC. Same goes for a lot of the E-3's in the Navy.

About the ONLY branch I do not see this is the Marine Corps.

Not me! All my buds from school who went marine ground who have some chest candy saw a pic from my winging and started calling me Uno since I've still got a single lonely ribbon.

S.O.B.

pilot
Bullshit. The provision is there if you are FNAEBed due to "bringing disgrace upon naval aviation" or "willful violation of rules and regulations." So if you're an idiot, they're gone anyway. Why kick someone in the nuts unnecessarily? How about two guys who attrite out of tailhook land because they can't fly the ball well enough. One gets a lat transfer to P-3s, but the other's year group is overmanned, and gets sent to be an Intel O. Why should guy #2 lose his wings when he did no worse than guy #1?

I think with all the senior leadership eyeballs on the case of anyone who gets FNAEBed, they can be trusted to decide whether someone who attrites deserves A(3), B(1) or B(2). If you're that worried about people earning wings who can't measure up, attrite 'em before they get 'em.

Why would guy #2 want to wear his wings? So he can explain to folks the rest of his career why he's not flying? The dude should move on embrace being an INTEL O.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
Not me! All my buds from school who went marine ground who have some chest candy saw a pic from my winging and started calling me Uno since I've still got a single lonely ribbon.

Did these fellas who went Marine ground spend two years in flight school?

My point is that I have seen several LTJG's or ENS's sporting 4/5 ribbons and have yet to even get into the fleet. Kind of a lot of chest candy for never being operational IMO.

MasterBates

When I winged, I had 1 medal/ribbon.. NDSM for being in on 9/11. That was it.

Heck, I did not even have a full row of ribbons until I was almost done with my first fleet tour.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why would guy #2 want to wear his wings? So he can explain to folks the rest of his career why he's not flying? The dude should move on embrace being an INTEL O.
Because he earned them. Because people with many stars on their collars, more hours than God, and who have worn those same wings since before he was born had his wings on the chopping block, and chose not to take them. I'd trust their judgement. In fact, I already did.

A FNAEB is already a uniquely humiliating experience at best. More so than attriting out of flight school, I would think, just due to the drawn-out nature of the thing. I wouldn't wish one on my worst enemy. That said, it's one of the fairest processes I've seen in my career by the time all is said and done. Pulling someone's wings for doing no more than busting their ass to the limit of their capabilities is adding insult to injury. They apparently proved they had what it takes, or why did they get winged in the first place? Maybe the vagaries of the personnel system just put them in the wrong aircraft. I bet there are winged helo guys out there who might not be able to take a trap, and winged fixed-wing guys who might not be able to hover.

Bottom line is, you can bite off a FNAEB if you're a solid guy or girl whose best isn't good enough. You can also get one for booming over your hometown airport at 50 feet and 500 knots. I think the former deserve not to be lumped in with the latter in the end.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Did these fellas who went Marine ground spend two years in flight school?

My point is that I have seen several LTJG's or ENS's sporting 4/5 ribbons and have yet to even get into the fleet. Kind of a lot of chest candy for never being operational IMO.

No, they didn't. They spent 13 months in Iraq. It's said very much tongue in cheek.