• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New version of ASTB coming out with video game type interaction?

UCbearcat

Lawn Dart
pilot
I'm assuming that that Air Force has seen an increase in retention/decrease in attrition because of this TBAS videogame test, and this is the reason for the Navy creating one of their own. Anyone know if this is true?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
The one they had me "test" while I was in A-pool years ago was like trying to fly a GCA and a ILS all at the same time and all while being OCF...

jtmedli

pilot
Don't know if it's coming out in March but those of us who are starting up IFS here pretty soon are taking it now as part of a test group... It's much like the AFOQT and the TBAS that the AF has their guys take.

Wow, I've never been more happy that I don't have to take the ASTB again. I took the TBAS and that thing was incredibly gay. Few things have neither wasted my time more or had less to do with my ability to fly.

Calculon

It's Calculon! Hit the deck!
Great so I assume that those of us who already took the ASTB will have to take a whole new test again?

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
If you took the TBAS, you signed a form saying you wouldn't talk about the test details. I can't remember if the same was true for the API experiment. That being said, assuming the two are one in the same... *dramatic pause for emphasis* I wouldn't be too concerned with the scoring. I felt little better than a retard taking both tests and still managed to max out the TBAS.

Calcutta126

Gay guitar pickers don't turn me on
Great so I assume that those of us who already took the ASTB will have to take a whole new test again?

Not quite. The way I read my letter from NOMI with my scores on it says that the scores do not expire. "Current official scores will not expire..." However, the requirements might change to say that ASTB versions 3, 4 and 5 don't mean a rat's ass.

Note: I have no clue what I'm talking about. I just took the ASTB on Tuesday and scored a 5/6/6 49

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
Im re taking it on march 2nd I'll let you know if there is anything new in place by then

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I'll pile on. I'd rather be poked in the eye with a sharp stick than have to take those ASTB experiments again. And I pray that the new ASTB also has 47 pages of biographical inventories. I knew much less about myself after I left NAMI that day.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My reliable source said they were targeting APR for the release, but it may not make it until AUG.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Tomodachi

pilot
So what level of graphics are we talking about? If they are anything like the video game that someone posted pictures of (pretty high-end graphics) how the hell do they plan on implementing this across the fleet and recruiting centers? Here in Yokosuka the Dell PCs have trouble sometimes pulling up Outlook to check e-mails, I cant imagine them being able to play a video game.

bhard11

Will the rules change if there is a new ASTB. For instance, will you still have only three chances to take the test? I'm thinking about taking the ASTB March 5th, but if its going to change then I don't want my third (if needed) to be the new one and pretty much hurt my chance at any possible Naval Career. I took the ASTB once before, so this time coming up is a retake. I am fairly confident studying for it like one of my classes.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who knows. The previous instruction placed no such limits on the number of re-takes while the current instruction does. The next instruction may change the rules, but one thing is for certain, there will be new test guidance once the new test hits the streets.

Re-study and re-take the current version. At least it's a known variable at this point.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
So what level of graphics are we talking about? If they are anything like the video game that someone posted pictures of (pretty high-end graphics) how the hell do they plan on implementing this across the fleet and recruiting centers? Here in Yokosuka the Dell PCs have trouble sometimes pulling up Outlook to check e-mails, I cant imagine them being able to play a video game.

Think Atari....

mb1685

Anyone happen to know if this is one of the big changes (/additions) that's being implemented in the new ASTB rolling out on the first of June?