• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Shotgun?

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm in the market for a shotgun and looking for advice. I am pretty sold on the Remington 870 Express Super Mag but wanted to hear the gun guys opinion.

I am not looking to specialize, but for something I can use all around. i.e. trap shooting, hunting, etc.

870_expsm[1].jpg

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I looked at both before I ended up getting a BPS. I liked the feel better.

BPS.jpg

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
An 870 is about the best all-purpose shotgun you can buy. Anyone who disagrees is wrong.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
^ Jesus Christo ... it's a good thing I agree ... :) You can't EVER go wrong with a Remington 870.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
This is all too confusing ... Remington, Mossberg, Ithaca, Winchester, Benelli, .... that is why I have some of all. Ends the confusion. ;)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
VetteMuscle427 said:
I'll disagree... while a fine weapon... it is no better than a Mossberg 500.
We used to take the Mossbergs with us flying P-3s out of Iceland as a means of polar bear defense in case of ditching - no kidding. All us inflight Ordies had to qual on them. We would sometimes actually see the bears roaming around on the ice floes as we followed our buoys down w/ the IRDS (FLIR) to make sure they made it into the water.

Brett

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
VetteMuscle427 said:
I'll disagree... while a fine weapon... it is no better than a Mossberg 500.

Sure, if you discount things like build quality, that's an easy argument to make. The 500/590 is a fine gun, but to say it is put together as well or has as nice a fit/finish as the 870 is laughable.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
As a free Sunday night safety tip....if you own a Mossberg 500 (or 835) and intend to shoot slugs in it, make sure you are using a slug barrel.

A smooth barel is .775" ID while a slug is .729" in diameter. The possibility exists that the slug, wobbling through the barrel, may warp the barrel or lodge in the barrel.

From the Mossberg website:

Mossberg

Can I fire slugs through my 835® vent rib, Accu-Mag® choke tube barrel? No, 835 field barrels (those with a ventilated rib) are "overbored", the extra inside diameter may cause the projectile to "wobble" producing unreliable accuracy. A projectile may wedge inside the barrel causing an obstruction. Obstructions of any kind can cause damage to the firearm resulting in personal injury. Dedicated smoothbore or fully rifled slug barrels are available for the Model 835®. Other 835® Accu-Mag® Choke Tube notes: Buckshot and steel-shot loads are not recommended for use with an Extra Full Turkey tube installed.

I have no idea if Browning, Remington, etc. do the same....might pay to get a slug barrel anyway.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
feddoc said:
Mossberg shortcomings...

That too. You can fire slugs out of Remington smooth barrels. Rifled slugs or a sabot slug with a rifled choke will work just fine.

Lawman

None
Manufacturers Suggested Retail Prices are $1,498 to $1,598.

Yeah that sounds like Beretta. Charge an A** load of money for something that I doubt out performs the competition. Ill bet money you can find a stock that does the same thing aftermarket that would make any cheaper shotgun just as good if not better.

On the 870.... you can do anything with that shotgun. Its like a Rugar 10/22 for aftermarked customability. I liked them, only reason I dont own one is because I wanted a Benelli M1.... and paid the price for one.