• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New selection process

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So some interesting rumors are making the rounds lately. It seems that the J-UCAS program has been meeting its goals more rapidly than anticipated. They're going to be needing to build up the infrastructure to start standing up squadrons soon, and so Big Navy has been looking around for ways to solve the manning problem. Seems that they've decided the easiest way is to pull from existing training pipelines, and then switch to the AF model of actually having UAVs as a selection choice out of Primary.

So bottom line is that starting in June, the bottom 10 percent by NSS from each winging class of SNAs and SNFOs will be getting orders to the new UAV RAG. Seems they've narrowed down the possible sites to El Centro, China Lake, or Kingsville. Hopefully the first guys through can give us more gouge about the process as it goes along.

UMichfly

pilot
None
Yeah, I heard about this when I winged. They were still debating whether or not it was worth sending a dude to the boat prior to heading him toward UAV land or if they'd just do it between phase 1 and phase 2 like they do with the E-2/C-2 draft. Glad I don't have to worry about it anymore!

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
This is a NO SHITTER though...I got the email in my VT-27 message traffic. They are undecided whether it will be bottom 10 percent or below a 40 NSS.

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
You mean to tell me you could get all the way through the tailhook syllabus, and then get sent UAV's for being at the bottom of your winging class? Also, the knock I've heard about UAV's is them trucking through combat zones and the lack of situational awareness caused by the pilot not actually being in the aircraft with the capability to look around for see-and-avoid purposes. Aren't they compounding the problem by selecting people for them, that NSS wise statistically speaking, already have a lower than average SA ability in the plane? How long do you all see this going on for until they switch to selecting straight out of primary? One year? More?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
They are talking about it in kingsville. Thankfully I already winged. I heard they aren't just gonna take the bottom 10% though. I heard it was gonna be more random for quality spread.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
I've been hearing the same thing here in Meridian. I'm glad I'll be out of here before it starts.

phrogpilot73

You mean to tell me you could get all the way through the tailhook syllabus, and then get sent UAV's for being at the bottom of your winging class? Also, the knock I've heard about UAV's is them trucking through combat zones and the lack of situational awareness caused by the pilot not actually being in the aircraft with the capability to look around for see-and-avoid purposes. Aren't they compounding the problem by selecting people for them, that NSS wise statistically speaking, already have a lower than average SA ability in the plane? How long do you all see this going on for until they switch to selecting straight out of primary? One year? More?
The problems with most UAVs is that the operators are enlisted, and the mission commander is a pilot. That's where the shift is coming from, more pilots = more SA...

MasterBates

Nope, this is a no-shitter. I got it in message traffic out here. They are looking for volunteers, and if that don't work, they will voluntell people.

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
I heard that they were just going to incorporate self-replicating alien AI technology into all new UAVs.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
Glad they're pulling from the jet side of the house! Can't wait for someone to try and explain the % UAVs from % Jets situation to all the newbies. You know that there's going to be a huge UAV draft towards the beginning to get the ball rolling too.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK, so it was a lazy, half-assed attempt. But there's always that one guy who falls for it. Pick your head up out of the FTI and note the date stamp on the OP, shipmate. You have been trolled. You have lost. Have a nice day. April Fool's. :p

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Raff Out Roud

80613320.jpg