• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Russian Submarine

Shpion1

Contributor
Think I just figured out where Baghdad Bob landed post OIF: editor-in-chief of Moscow Defense Brief magazine

"Mikhail Barabanov, the editor-in-chief of Moscow Defense Brief magazine, told Vedomosti that the U.S. Navy did not produce a large number of advanced Sea Wolf submarines, similar to the Severodvinsk vessel, since they were too expensive. Instead of these, they use cheaper and unsophisticated Virginia-class submarines."ust a

Yup, their Severodvinsk is as capable as the Seawolf, and the Virginia SSNs are cheap and unsophisticated.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That is quite possibly my favorite Simpsons episode ever, mainly for the part where Lenin punches out of the glass casket.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Those were the good ones, before they tried to compete with Family Guy for retarded and/or stoned viewers and focus too much on pop culture.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
That is quite possibly my favorite Simpsons episode ever, mainly for the part where Lenin punches out of the glass casket.

Best quote ever too! :)

"Daybreak, Jakarta. The proud men and women of the Navy are protecting America's interests overseas, but you're in Lubbock, Texas hosing down a statue, because your in the Naval Reserve. Once you complete basic training, you only work one weekend a month, and most of that time your drunk of your ass. The Naval Reserve: America's 17th line of defense, between the Mississippi National Guard, and the American League of Women Voters. "

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Yup, their Severodvinsk is as capable as the Seawolf, and the Virginia SSNs are cheap and unsophisticated.
He's a little off in that the VA is neither cheap nor unsophisticated. However, the VA's are neither cheaper nor more combat capable than the Seawolf class.

Mikhail Barabanov, the editor-in-chief of Moscow Defense Brief magazine, told Vedomosti that the U.S. Navy did not produce a large number of advanced Sea Wolf submarines, similar to the Severodvinsk vessel, since they were too expensive.
Wrong again. We didn't produce more Seawolves because Congress mandated a two-shipyard submarine class, and EB didn't want to share the Seawolf.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Really? That Bad?

Given recent history with the Russian submarine fleet, I'd wait to see if it makes it through its first "deployment" without some sort of disaster. Watching the Russian submarine fleet is like watching NASCAR- even if you don't find the "sport" that intersting you watch and wait with anticipation for the next disaster. Not because you want to see anything bad happen to the drivers, but because they are generally spectacular in nature.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
My biggest fear is that Russia will export the technology to countries whom we may not want to have the latest quieting technologies.
China's been working on modernizing their submarine fleet and they have the available capital to purchase the latest technology coming out of Russia.

That being said, Mark Dip, Down Dome!!!

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
He's a little off in that the VA is neither cheap nor unsophisticated. However, the VA's are neither cheaper nor more combat capable than the Seawolf class.

Wrong again. We didn't produce more Seawolves because Congress mandated a two-shipyard submarine class, and EB didn't want to share the Seawolf.

I think he was being sarcastic.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Actually you are wrong. Originally there were supposed to be 29 Seawolvess built at a cost of $33 billion+. It was something like 30% of our yearly shipbuilding budget. President Bush the First & SECDEF Chaney decided that with the end of the cold war and the Soviet sub fleet rusting away, the threat requiring this kind of expenditure was gone. To save money, they tried to cancel all Seawolves after the first boat. The compromise with Congress was 3 boats. Plus it was also too expensive to maintain a class of 1 and 3 was determined to be the minimum number so logistics, etc were affordable. It was all about the Benjamins.

I was active duty at the time and the whole Navy was suffering from the post-war draw down. Seawolf was just another casualty of this.