• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Recruit - just started looking for what to prepare for STA21

ftbn

Hi, Air Warriors! I'm 24 and in DEP until this fall. I'm SECF right now with a pending waiver for Nuclear. I've just recently been reading about the STA21 program and, well, if you could all share some specific advice with me that would be awesome. :)

So, I have an unfinished 5-year engineering degree with a lot of credits but a not-so-hot GPA (I'll see what the numbers actually are when I get my transcript in the mail next week.) My highschool GPA was 3.6 or 3.7-ish. I haven't taken the SAT in a few years, so I'll have to study and take that again. But last time I got a 1360 or 1370 (I think 690 verbal - 680 math.) I haven't seen people sharing ASVAB scores much (though I've only read a dozen or so threads so far). Is that worth including (I got a 99 AFQT)?

I'm struggling to think of what else I might eventually put in my "package." Would certifications be worth it (like A+, Server+, programming language, or foreign language proficiency)? What can I do starting now to get LOR's from officers? Will I be able to find any time to take online college courses to raise my GPA by next year? Does STA21 interfere with the Loan Repayment Program?

(Thanks, and sorry for all the questions, but my recruiter certainly can't answer them)

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
Well those are lots of good questions. I am currently a Navy Recruiter. While you are off to a great start, looking into STA-21 and exploring your options, be sure to focus on the now. Do some volunteer work around your community. Get really involved. Also, tell your recruiter that you want to be the DEP RCPO, this will give you some experience in a leadership position. Motivate others to actually learn the Sailor's Creed and General Orders. And here is a great idea, ask your recruiter to help you set a NKO account (Navy Knowledge Online). There are lots of online courses that can be taken there that will follow you into the Navy.

As far as your ASVAB, it is not a part of the STA-21 application, so I doubt it plays any part. Foreign Language is though.
And I have no clue about the LRP and STA-21 question. I would think that STA-21 would stop the LRP. But that is only a guess.

ftbn

I may not have an opportunity to do local volunteer work in the 1.5 months before basic training, but I'll certainly try to volunteer in some capacity later this year or next year. I'm looking into NKO now.

Thanks for the advice, Popo Jijo.

That_1_Dud3

This is all good and well but don't you think you are putting the cart before the horse here?

You haven't even experienced what enlisted life is like yet, heck, your not even officially in and your thinking about this program? I'll give you an example: At my current command, they won't even let any new booters put in for a special program like this until they have been here at least a year (assuming they are qualified in their work centers). Even then I have learned that this program requires a lot more than good scores, it requires some sort of experience, primarily, enlisted leadership experience in the fleet. That's just gonna take some time.

You sound like you're an on-point kind of person, but at least give it a year (or two) in... Remember, right now the Navy wants you for your enlisted job so focus on doing that to your best ability, then the rest will come later.

ftbn

Yeah, I think maybe if I were 18 or 19 I would agree with you. But I'm concerned that if I don't start planning ahead as soon as I possibly can, then I'm going to run up against age limits later on. I want to make sure I take every leadership initiative and get every qualification that's possible right from the start, so I can submit the application as early as possible the first time (which I'd assumed would be after 1 year of enlistment.)

jeeplovindad

FY13 Sta-21 Applicant EDO/SWO
Yeah, I think maybe if I were 18 or 19 I would agree with you. But I'm concerned that if I don't start planning ahead as soon as I possibly can, then I'm going to run up against age limits later on. I want to make sure I take every leadership initiative and get every qualification that's possible right from the start, so I can submit the application as early as possible the first time (which I'd assumed would be after 1 year of enlistment.)

I think it's great that you've found this program and that you're stoked about it. It has been my experience that nobody, and I mean nobody, is as concerned about your career as you are - never forget this. Now, that being said, the advice that I give you is to genuinely work hard for your country. It is alright for your Chain of Command to understand that you are striving to become an Officer, but it's not alright for that to be the only thing that motivates you. Work hard to be the best asset for the ship that you can be and all else will work itself out. One other thing, don't let anybody tell you that you can't do something, research and find it in writing. It's the only way that you will no for certain. Good luck.

ftbn

Thanks for the advice/encouragement. I agree that one's future career aspirations should never impact one's current job performance. Luckily, this summer I have lots of precious free time to study, research, and prepare - free time I can't anticipate having once I'm busy learning and doing other things with the Navy. Maybe my questions sound odd coming from the other side, but surely there are some things you guys wish you had done to prepare yourselves before and during that first year. If the answer to that is just "Work hard, do your best, and be patient." then that's OK, and thanks for the responses so far.

jeeplovindad

FY13 Sta-21 Applicant EDO/SWO
Thanks for the advice/encouragement. I agree that one's future career aspirations should never impact one's current job performance. Luckily, this summer I have lots of precious free time to study, research, and prepare - free time I can't anticipate having once I'm busy learning and doing other things with the Navy. Maybe my questions sound odd coming from the other side, but surely there are some things you guys wish you had done to prepare yourselves before and during that first year. If the answer to that is just "Work hard, do your best, and be patient." then that's OK, and thanks for the responses so far.

Definitely. I wish I had found and started the program earlier. It's a lot harder now that I am 30 years old.

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot

I for one applaud you for taking charge of your soon to be career and planning ahead. Don't let anyone discourage you in your pursuit of this program. Much like you I enlisted with the intent of going officer after my high school GPA limited my options toward the Academy and NROTC. Your first few years you will be busy learning your rate and earning your salt as an airman, seaman, fireman you will likely have little time for worry about STA-21. Always remember sustained superior performance. In boot camp try to excel, in A school try to be the top, even if you are mess cranking try to be the best. Whenever you can work in college classes, bust your ass and try to be the E-3 to earn an EP and warfare pins. STA-21 is designed for junior sailors, and I have seen E-3's get picked up. Best of luck to you.

ELT(SS)

When you get to Charleston to start A School and Power School there will be opportunities to apply for STA-21, and again in prototype. There are actually around 40 spots per year essentially reserved for nuke students. Keep your A school and Power School grades up and you will have a good chance. These grades and your SAT/ACT scores will be the biggest part of your package since you are competing against other students. Being a class leader may help as well. Ask your class adviser about STA-21 when you get to Charleston.

eastcoastss

My son is now working on his cover letter for his STA package. He has, with the credits from Goose Creek and his AS and his Junior transcript, somewhere around 120 to 130 if the Power School and Prototype credits are accepted. I would believe they would be as he would be going to a school in the STA in the nuclear field. It was suggested to me on Navy for Dads that he could get some help with content as well as possibly some participants on this site reviewing it. He graduated A school with distinction and Power with honors. He recently took the ACT as his SAT is at least 5 years old and passed with more than the acceptable grade.
I would leave him to do his own sleuthing but he is presently in prototype and is pretty busy. Any thoughts? Help?

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
The best advice I can give him is to apply for the nuke option of STA-21. First off, it accounted for half of the selectees last year. Secondly, he can only apply for that option while at a training command like NPTU. He can probably forget about nuke school credits transferring.

eastcoastss

Is there a reason for that they wouldnt transfer the credits? His choice, if he has one, would be SUNY Maritime. It is one of the 18 schools he can attend in the nuclear field. He was already in the SUNY system with his AS in liberal arts and transferred to another SUNY school where he has a 4.0 in Engineering. I checked and the school takes these credits fully. Maritime uses the ACE system to evaluate your military training for credit and there are approx 82 -84 credits awarded for A, Power and Prototype, if the school has that class of course. You request the transfer then checks it against the Navy's SMART system for marks and the transcript. I would think that they would transfer credits that they have in their list of offerings. Between the 2 it is about 155 credits which is more than I originally thought. Of course not counting music theory lol

exNavyOffRec

The best advice I can give him is to apply for the nuke option of STA-21. First off, it accounted for half of the selectees last year. Secondly, he can only apply for that option while at a training command like NPTU. He can probably forget about nuke school credits transferring.

The credits being accepted depend on the institution, some take quite a few and some do not, and it doesn't necessarily depend on the quality of the school, it looks like this kid has shopped around which is the smart thing to do. Some places that years ago accepted no credits now take nearly all, of course from what I have seen they are all lower division credits.