• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New promotions?

phishsig

Whats going on with the rumor about LTs getting Promoted early to o-3 because they promoted so many COL.. I bet its a rumor .......................................because that sounds pretty crazy, anyone else want to shed some light on this

usmcecho4

pilot
There's an article in the Marine Corps Times concerning this in March 19th Issue.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
A couple months ago, we had a meeting with the 7242 rep from HQMC, regarding the plus-up. Just the DASC community is slated to grow by at least 50% (123 personnel per CONUS MASS, including actual DASC personnel and support). The 7208 (DASC Officer) field is extremely short-handed when it comes to Captains. We have Lt's falling out our ass, thanks to the requirement for DASC controllers to be Officers, but historically, not that many people stay in past their initial commitment. This results in a trend (the past 5-6 years) of 95-100% selection rate for Captain, and 100% selection for Career Designation. They even selected people who asked not to be considered by the board this year.

The impression that I get is that it's not just my community, and that the Marine Corps is extremely short across the board for Captains. The selection board convened at the normal time this year, but the message was released at least a month early and people have been getting frocked left and right in the MACG world. This happens enough in training commands (like TBS), but it does actually require Wing/Division-level signitures and HQMC approval.

The general trend does seem to be more people getting promoted sooner, though, and I have heard rumbles of the Marine Corps potentially sliding to the 3yr Captain. Only time will tell.

usmcecho4

pilot
I just re-read the aricle and it broke down like this:
-4 Col
-25 LtCol
-70 Maj
-190 Capt
-1stLt now eligible for Capt after 3 years of service
-article didn't say anything about being MOS specific but did say that people would be considered that were below zone.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
3yrs of time in service, which would mean 1yr as a 1st Lt. You're already in zone (usually) after 4.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
You can look at the FY09 v. previous years' Captain board precepts on MMOA's website. They precepts detail who is in zone for promotion, and what they have to do to be considered, etc. I'd post a link, but I'm tired from telling pilots what to do that don't want to listen.

SETX07

So does this mean for someone like me who was just commissioned that come time when I have been a 1st Lt and I would normally be up for promotion to Captain there will be even more competition for it then previous years due to the surplus of them after this thing?

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Not sure how they're going to defrag it exactly, but look at it this way: You had to be pretty fucked up to NOT get selected for Captain before there was a shortage and before there was such a thing as a plus-up. If you have a heartbeat, don't lick windows on a regular basis, and have not committed a crime, you will pretty much get promoted. The selection rate for FY08 was something like 99.5%, including above zone people and those who requested not to be considered.

If you're thinking of career designation, however, that's a different story. It's today's answer to augmentation, and it's a separate board that meets around the begining of each year. The pain about this board is, even though you might want to accept career designation, if you attend flight school, you're probably getting unobserved FITREPs, and you need a minimum of 540 days of observed time to even be eligible for the board. So people like me, who attrited and redesignated into a new MOS can't get considered until later. But again, if you've got a heartbeat and you haven't been caught beating your wife half to death, you're probably going to be selected. You do have to either accept or deny it, though, and if you accept career designation, you incur a minimum two year extension. I'm not sure how that works for aviator commitments, though.