• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Pensacola BOQ? Incoming single SNA's required to live there?

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
For the SNA's going to Whiting: There are worse things in life than getting stuck in the Q out there in Milton. I was directed to live in the Whiting Q while going through Primary. I grew up in Milton and had a room in my parents house to live in....Still had to do the Q thing. It was the best thing for me. Made great friends with the rest of the guys living there instead of keeping in the same small circles established in college. There is a bar in the ground floor of that place, at least there was. Additionally, I was able to spend A LOT of time over in the sim building practicing. I contend to this day, that's the only reason I had a high enough NSS to head north to Meridian.

Bottom line, make the most of it. Get out on the Blackwater, make it a college dorm environment and make the most of your proximity to the sim bldg.

Take all of this with a grain of salt if your coming from the small college by the river in Maryland. I spent four years in Gainesville Florida, maybe I was ready for a break.

war eagle

Why worry? Because last week I signed a lease and paid a security deposit to live in a place off base - and heard about this new policy yesterday. Anybody have any suggestions on my next move?

I read the link on SNA2007's post and it said that this applies to SNFO's (me) and SNA's... it's all on pages 8 and 9 in that word document that he posted.

Thanks for the info SNA2007.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For the SNA's going to Whiting: There are worse things in life than getting stuck in the Q out there in Milton. I was directed to live in the Whiting Q while going through Primary. I grew up in Milton and had a room in my parents house to live in....Still had to do the Q thing. It was the best thing for me. Made great friends with the rest of the guys living there instead of keeping in the same small circles established in college. There is a bar in the ground floor of that place, at least there was. Additionally, I was able to spend A LOT of time over in the sim building practicing. I contend to this day, that's the only reason I had a high enough NSS to head north to Meridian.
THIS IS GOOD GOUGE! Whiting has a good amount of sims, so unless you go through when they are max pumping guys through RIs or BIs, you can make bank on late night sim slots when your buddies are home in Governor's Gate.

/Former Whiting Q resident

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Additionally, I was able to spend A LOT of time over in the sim building practicing. I contend to this day, that's the only reason I had a high enough NSS to head north to Meridian.

Bottom line, make the most of it. Get out on the Blackwater, make it a college dorm environment and make the most of your proximity to the sim bldg.

What exactly were/are people practicing in the sims if they are not in BIs or RIs, or did you just make money in RIs? I'm always looking for ways to improve my flying.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
What exactly were/are people practicing in the sims if they are not in BIs or RIs, or did you just make money in RIs? I'm always looking for ways to improve my flying.

I believe being a better IFR pilot will make you a better VFR pilot....will really help your scan quite a bit. Even if you don't rock the house with grades in RI's, you'll still improve your flying skills.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why worry? Because last week I signed a lease and paid a security deposit to live in a place off base - and heard about this new policy yesterday. Anybody have any suggestions on my next move?

I read the link on SNA2007's post and it said that this applies to SNFO's (me) and SNA's... it's all on pages 8 and 9 in that word document that he posted.

The way I read the welcome aboard letter, the BOQ thing doesn't apply to SNFOs. Bottom line, check your orders. If they're PCS, then you don't have to worry about being in the Q. If you're on TDY orders w/ per diem, you may be going to the Q.

Brett

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Bottom line, check your orders. If they're PCS, then you don't have to worry about being in the Q. If you're on TDY orders w/ per diem, you may be going to the Q.

Brett

Not necessarily true. The guys going to Whiting all receive PCS orders, but they are apparently going to have to live in the Q.

May be comparing apples to oranges with the SNA/SNFO deal, but just having PCS orders doesn't give you a trump card for living in the Q.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor

Do you even have orders yet? If not, why did you sign a lease already?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Landlords and real estate investors all over P-Cola are weeping right now.

I agree that you should make the best of the situation, and use the time in the Q to make friends. You don't have to field day, you get a kitchenette and all that mess, and you're super close to work so you're not wasting gas and you can sleep another 20 minutes in the morning.

For the ones who have already signed the lease...You're probably assed out unless you can pull the military clause thing with your orders saying something different than you intended when you signed the lease. Be prepared to pay the stupid tax for not doing your due diligence and not having patience. Live and learn. We've all done something like that.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
You must have been transferred to Sing Sing. There's no way Riker's Island has cells that big.

At least I was getting sea days on the prison barge.

prisonbargevernoncbain-2.jpg

prisonbargevernoncbain-3.jpg

On the training trips they always threatened to drop us off as we went by.

Porkrind

Does anyone know if this new BOQ policy applies to all SNAs and SNFOs here now or just those who have reported to NASP after 5 Mar? I already have the non-availability stamp from the Q dated 15 Feb and I'm hoping that because I'm a SNFO that stamp will remain valid.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor

That was premature. If you're really worried about it, you can probably use orders to break a lease. Search it here or google it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not necessarily true. The guys going to Whiting all receive PCS orders, but they are apparently going to have to live in the Q.

May be comparing apples to oranges with the SNA/SNFO deal, but just having PCS orders doesn't give you a trump card for living in the Q.

I'm talking about SNFOs at NASP, nothing else.

Brett