• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Lieutenant with a few burning questions

BlazeUSMC

Belligerent Arm Swing!
Quick background...I'm a newly commissioned 2nd Lt. I graduated from OCS 9 Aug 2008 through PLC, and just graduated from college this past May, commissioned on 30 June 2009. My OSO just recently told me that I am not scheduled to report to TBS until March. First of all, if anyone knows why there is such a long wait for TBS I'd love to know. I am pretty sure that I am going to be on PTAD, but I think 6 months is a little excessive. Also, I have been hearing scuttlebutt that as a part of the PLC program, my pay as a 2nd Lt will become active once I am put on PTAD, but it will be back dated to my graduation day at OCS. If this is true, what exactly does it mean? and how will it affect my pay? Also, since I have to wait until March to report to TBS, are there any recommendations to keeping my mind and body sharp? (I workout reguarly with the same standards that I was taught at OCS, and I am working my way down the Commandant's Reading List, I just want an extra supplementation of knowledge) Thanks to all.

Bevo16

pilot
Also, since I have to wait until March to report to TBS, are there any recommendations to keeping my mind and body sharp?

Chase pussy and watch aviation movies. Work Platoon and Full Metal Jacket into the mix at least once a week.

That should do it.

It sucks that the USMC does not pay you guys until you show up for TBS.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Quick background...I'm a newly commissioned 2nd Lt. I graduated from OCS 9 Aug 2008 through PLC, and just graduated from college this past May, commissioned on 30 June 2009. My OSO just recently told me that I am not scheduled to report to TBS until March. First of all, if anyone knows why there is such a long wait for TBS I'd love to know. I am pretty sure that I am going to be on PTAD, but I think 6 months is a little excessive. Also, I have been hearing scuttlebutt that as a part of the PLC program, my pay as a 2nd Lt will become active once I am put on PTAD, but it will be back dated to my graduation day at OCS. If this is true, what exactly does it mean? and how will it affect my pay? Also, since I have to wait until March to report to TBS, are there any recommendations to keeping my mind and body sharp? (I workout reguarly with the same standards that I was taught at OCS, and I am working my way down the Commandant's Reading List, I just want an extra supplementation of knowledge) Thanks to all.

-As you seem to know you can do 180 days PTAD recruiting

-Did you accept the $5000ish tuition assistance? If no, then yes you get the extra time (not sure exactly when it goes back to)

-Yeah, this sucks. I've been hitting the books too. Highlight of my day is going to the gym. Play some COD4 here and there. Most of my old buds are gone. Complacency kills.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Waits for TBS are a fact of life and get worse with declining defense budgets. You will only be paid for time on AD whether that is PTAD or upon reporting to TBS. Other than that you are on your own, most end up having to get a job of some kind I worked at a golf course).

Work out regularly do a little reading, might want to check out "One Bullet Away" and enjoy the time off life will get busy soon enough.

sanders

I commissioned in May and have an October TBS date. The OSO says pretty much no Lt's are getting ptad right now... at least not until October 1st I believe. It sucks, especially since me and some of my fellow Lt's were led to believe that we would get ptad and then were told the day before we commissioned that it fell through.

Aramil

Through PLC your PEBD (Pay entry base date) is started the day you report to OCS. If you took MCTAP, then your PEBD starts the day you start TBS. This means that when you report to TBS you will have about 1.5 years of time in service in regards to pay, meaning that after another 6 months you'll be getting paid more than the Lt's who commissioned through OCC. You can check the difference on the military pay scales, but you should be making a few hundred extra a month.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Don't worry too bad about not getting PTAD. Just get a "real" job, and you'll have twice the happiness for almost the same paycheck. If you're uber-moto, check out some of the TBS gouge and study it. Above all things, remember this: at TBS, a shitbag who is a great runner is usually respected more than a locked-on Marine who runs slow. Welcome to Total Bull Shit.

ripsaw

Keep working out, obtain a copy of MCDP 1, Warfighting. That's TBS day one, 101. "So sayth Warfighting, so it shall be" Stay away from "One bullet away" its bullshit and so are its lovers. My Company high pistol shot bought a 9mm before reporting and benifited from the practice, if you are so inclined. "First to fight" is also gospel. Stand by..

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Keep working out, obtain a copy of MCDP 1, Warfighting. That's TBS day one, 101. "So sayth Warfighting, so it shall be" Stay away from "One bullet away" its bullshit and so are its lovers. My Company high pistol shot bought a 9mm before reporting and benifited from the practice, if you are so inclined. "First to fight" is also gospel. Stand by..

So I suppose that assessment is coming from years and years of Fleet experience? I can only assume that you are a salty Fleet Accession SNA with at least 2 or 3 years in an Infantry Battalion (command of a Rifle platoon, Weapons platoon and Company XO at the very least). This solid analytical decree can't solely be based on 6 months of trooping and stomping through the hills of Quantico only taking short breaks from "conquering the nation's foes" to learn which fork to use at the CG's reception. Or perhaps the high sodium content of your post is the result of years in a Fleet ready-room honing your skills in support of the Infantry and no, stash time as a squadron pet/mascot doesn't count.

As I suspected your experience base must match or exceed my own from which I recommended the book. I alas only have a year and a half in an Infantry Battalion seeing how the Earthmen live and work to draw upon and a little while in fleet squadrons that is hardly worth mentioning.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor

You've become a parrot of your SPCs. I was not unlike you in my ptsd...Post TBS stress disorder. Alas, I took a step back, and came back to reality. The Capt's at TBS are simply displaying professional jealousy (they are relatively the same peer group as Fick), and have 100s of people listening to exactly what they have to say. Pull your head out. One Bullet Away is an inspiring book even if I don't agree with his approach.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

He'll have plenty of time for MCDP-1...

Beer, Broads, Beaches. Mix all three as much as possible.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Chin up shiny new Lt's. I've been to Georgetown and compared to some of the liberty ports and duty stations Fleet Marines are seeing right now TBS looks like pretty good duty to me. Just hang in there. Somebody will be trying to kill you for real soon enough.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Make sure you are keeping your PFT score up. When you show up for check-in, at the end of the process they will have a PFT. If there are 350 Marines on Thursday morning, and they need 300 for the Company, they will take the bottom 50 PFT scores and drop them to the next Company.

Don't be part of that 50.

Oh yeah, have fun while you are waiting.

BlazeUSMC

Belligerent Arm Swing!
Thanks to all, I'm just hating this whole time gap from OCS to TBS...its starting to get the better of me. So I pretty much got it I think, chase tail, watch moto movies and throw in a book every now and then. I think I can manage that.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Two of my buddies graduated from college in March 09' after finishing PLC and they won't be going to TBS until October. Welcome to hurry up and wait, Sir.

May I suggest an ungodly amount of shooting at the range or in the wilderness?