• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New guy here, FLARNG out of Cecil Field

hobbstc

None
Exactly. The Lakota is CONUS only, and we are using it for Counter-Drug missions in Florida. They use it for FlatIron/MEDEVAC work here at Ft Rucker. From what I have read, the new Sikorsky S-97 Raider is being considered as one of the possible replacements for the B-hawk.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From what I understand, they aren't directly replacing the Blackhawk with the Lakota. It's more of a NG/homeland security asset that is there to augment the rotary assets in the states. This was/is a big issue (though less of one now that we're out of Iraq) since a number of the National Guard's birds were out of the country. In addition to that, it's significantly more efficient/economical to operate than the Blackhawk. By using off the shelf tech, and keeping it fairly simple, there is a lot of money to be saved using the Lakota over the Blackhawk in certain scenarios.

That and it replaced almost all of the UH-1's and OH-58A's that were used as utility birds in the states by the Guard and the Army and a few overseas in 'benign' duties, most were pretty long in the tooth and desperately needed replacement anyways.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
That and it replaced almost all of the UH-1's and OH-58A's that were used as utility birds in the states by the Guard and the Army and a few overseas in 'benign' duties, most were pretty long in the tooth and desperately needed replacement anyways.

I remember reading about the last UH-1s being retired in Europe not too long ago. I forgot about the fact that the Lakota was going to be going to the JMRC. I think it was covered before too. . .but the US Naval Test Pilot School has a few Lakotas as well.

Army Story

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I remember reading about the last UH-1s being retired in Europe not too long ago. I forgot about the fact that the Lakota was going to be going to the JMRC. I think it was covered before too. . .but the US Naval Test Pilot School has a few Lakotas as well.

Army Story

The TPS ones are the RW training there. Must be nice...

hobbstc

None
Passed my instruments check-ride last Friday. I've been working about 42hrs in the past 3 days trying to get this "Australian Fold" map finished up before the next phase of school called Basic Warfighter Skills. In my guard unit, we just print out maps out of Falcon View. I guess the Army needs to get rid of a bunch of old out of date 1:50k maps.

And I got an e-mail from the S3 and I won't be transitioning into Lakotas after all. I'll be in our -60Ms and put in the MEDEVAC company. Which is a good thing, because I'll be up for my O3 three months after graduation.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Welcome to C Co 1-111th..or are you headed to D Co, 1204th or HHC?

No printing out maps from AMPS for the M. They are already loaded into the FMS via a PCMCIA card inserted into the DTS.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
No printing out maps from AMPS for the M. They are already loaded into the FMS via a PCMCIA card inserted into the DTS.

Does that mean you guys see the actual map imagery and not just all the lines/symbols/etc that are user generated (like routes and airports)?

hobbstc

None
Welcome to C Co 1-111th..or are you headed to D Co, 1204th or HHC?

Yep, MAJ A said I'm headed to C Co. when I get out. Expected graduation is end of August-ish. I've already done 2 yrs in HHC 1-111th, though I'm sure I'll be back there in the next few years.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Does that mean you guys see the actual map imagery and not just all the lines/symbols/etc that are user generated (like routes and airports)?
Yes, you see the maps as well as symbology. In fact, you can actually convert satellite imagery to be displayed. At Rucker they have a lot of the whole area done that way. We have only a few of the LZs at Camp Blanding.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Pretty neat. I know the Tacair guys have had that for a while, but it's about time the helos got it. Are the maps better than the crappy ones in PFPS (or whatever we call it now)?

highside7r

None
hobbstc,
Just catching up on this, good luck at Rucker, kind of a jealous you are getting both "M" and LUH transitions. Had I known about the ARNG, might of gone that route vice AC, spent most of my Navy time in Jax and would love to get back to my home state.

I wish the Army would've just bought the same simple MFD in the Seahawks for the A/L series. Work with a MTP now that flew -72's at Irwin, he adds they are great instrument platforms, and not much else.

hobbstc

None
Ok next update. BWS is over. Took check ride today between the rain showers at Troy. Now we have our third height/weight in three months tomorrow, then pt test on Thursday, then get to watch the active duty guys fight over airframes on Friday. The A/L -60 course starts the 19th, then at some point I'll break off to start the mike course. 8 months down, five more to go...

KiowaDriver

Now a Hooker....
None
I was dodging the same showers yesterday in AO Hawk. The 58D has the water resistance of a screen door.

You will go thru the Hawk course along with the Alpha guys until they go to nights, and then you start the 60M program.

Selection is a sight to see. The AD guys are shitting kittens, especially if they DONT want Hawks (no offense intended at all).

hobbstc

None
Well it's all over for the most part. NVG check ride in the mike is over, I'm going through clearing now and graduation is a week from tomorrow. Can't wait to get out of Mother Rucker and back to Florida.

Shpion1

Contributor
Bologna sandwich on the bus ride back was the best bologna sandwich ever...did lobster that evening, it didn't stay down for half of us.