• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Firearm Purchase

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, saw a gun deal I couldn't resist. Just put on order from AIM Surplus a Russian Nagant 1895 Revolver. It shoots the 7.62x38mmR, otherwise known as 7.62 Nagant. It's a very peculiar cartridge, where the bullet is entirely encased in the catridge case. The action of this revolver is also very unique. Upon cocking the hammer, the cylinder is moved forward against the forcing cone, creating a gas seal. This allows for complete suppression of this revolver, the only one in the world that I know of.

$79.95 + Shipping, Excellent Condition

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Russian_1895_7.62_Nagant_Revolver.html

nagant1895revolver.gif

7.62x38r.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
$79 ??? $79 ???!!! $79 ???Is the ammunition readily available??? It will probably cost more than the revolver.

webleycrop4db.jpg

One of these days, I would like to get a minty Webley .455 or a Webley-Fosbery .455 automatic revolver. Not too sure why --- I guess because I can ..... and Yes, I said "automatic revolver" ... the same one that shot Miles Archer in the "Maltese Falcon". Evidently Bogey knew his weapons --- ??

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Fly,

You're obviously passionate about collecting guns. Just curious though - how many guns would you say you own??

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ammo typically costs about $20-30 for 50 rounds. Very few companies make it, and I believe this revolver is the only firearm that ever shot that cartridge. Fiocchi and Sellier & Bellot both make it. You can also find military surplus ammunition out there. I won't shoot it much, but I think it'd be very cool to own.

A Webley would be so cool to own. I saw the automatic revolver on TV once, very neat.

Slammer2, I have 13.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
I have 13.

Cool. Thanks.

Also, is there any easy way to explain how an automatic revolver works? Or is that something that I should go off somewhere and read about? :icon_tong

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
And I can't wait to see the look on his face when he graduates from Meridian, and gets sent to California!

There is an exemption permit system for out-of-state military stationed in California. I will be able to import all my toys :)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Slammer2 said:
Cool. Thanks.

Also, is there any easy way to explain how an automatic revolver works? Or is that something that I should go off somewhere and read about? :icon_tong

I believe it was recoil operated. It would cock the hammer for you, just like a normal semi-auto. Pretty neat, but the 1911 came out about the same time and it just didn't take.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fly is correct --- it looked quite a bit like the Webley (above) --- well, gee -- it WAS a Webley-Fosbury, after all. There was an article in American Rifleman a year or so ago about it --- pretty comprehensive. There's a lot of stuff on the 'net.

Basically, the barrel recoiled into a "groove" or "cam" --type setup on the cylinder -- rotating the cylinder and cocking the hammer, if memory serves me. It was prone to collecting dirt and thus malfunctioning -- and the 1911 was coming out at about the same time. It didn't see much service, unlike the basic Webley. When I first heard the term "automatic revolver" on the Maltese Falcon --- I thought "there goes Hollywood again -- screwing it up". But Bogey was right --- I understand he had quite a collection of firearms (collected quietly).

Typical of the Hollywood lib's ...... don't do as I do ... do as I say. Bogey is still one of my favorites. But Hollywood was different then, even if still "liberal" in many ways. Is there room for a "conservative-liberal"???

(end threadjack.....)

T-man

It's official

I am now for the very first time in my life, the proud owner of a firearm! :D I thought it was going to be a pistol, but it turned out to be a shotgun. But I am very happy with the purchase. Myself and 2 other friends purchased 1 gun each today. Well, to be fair, my friend paid for all but half of my gun, simply because he's well, wealthy, and wanted us to have something as well so we could all go shoot together.

My purchase: Remington 870 Tactical Magnum in OD Green, 20", 8+1, Serial # < 800
976613620-1.jpg

96471.jpg

Friend 1's purchase: Springfield XD9
XD9101Large.jpg

Friend 2's purchase (dude with the money): Bushmaster M4
bcwa3f16.jpg

Although, sadly, I won't be the first to fire my shotgun. The friends are going camping next week, and I am unable to go with them, so they are taking me shotty along with the M4 with them to have a bit of fun while camping.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let me know how you like the pistol grip firing some 00 buckshot. Pistols grips on shotguns tend to be rather uncomfortable. You made a good choice with the Remington 870 though. Solid, well made shotgun.

T-man

Fly Navy said:
Let me know how you like the pistol grip firing some 00 buckshot. Pistols grips on shotguns tend to be rather uncomfortable. You made a good choice with the Remington 870 though. Solid, well made shotgun.

Well, I've never shot with a pistol grip before, this'll be a first. But I can tell you right now, the buttstock w/pistol grip seems to have amazingly better control and is much more comfortable than a regular buttstock. I would never go straight pistol grip through, don't care to break my wrist :). I will certainly let you know how it feels once I shoot it though.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
T-man said:
I am now for the very first time in my life, the proud owner of a firearm! ......... my friend paid for all but half of my gun, simply because he's well, wealthy
Congrats, Marine-hopeful .... that's how it should be. Release yourself from the Starbuck's and Microsoft demons of liberalism ..... cast them out with firearms purchases !! Wouldn't suprise me if Gates has a huge, secret, firearms collection, though...:)

The pistol grip on the shotgun? I used to have a Benelli M1 Super 90 with the pistol grip --- looked a lot like what you purchased.

m1sandp4gw.jpg

I liked it big time. Took it to a shotgun course and came in second out of 25 guys ... the guy who beat me was using a 12 gauge pump --- go figure. Where he beat me was on the speed drills against multiple targets. Stay away from that guy ....

I purchased a straight stock as well and eventually got rid of the shotgun --- why? Mainly, when the Clinton gun ban came along the price of anything with a pistol grip on it skyrocketed and I nearly doubled my money on the Benelli. When we did the weapons retention part of the course, it became very apparent that if someone gets hold of the barrel of the shotgun and knows how to do it --- and most miscreants do --- it is not a question of "if", but rather "when" your wrist is going to break or become dislocated in the scuffle. With a straight stock --- you can raise it, pull the trigger, and shoot the goblin off the barrel --- can't do that with a pistol grip. Believe me .....

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Update: Got my Nagant revolver the other day. It is in pristine condition. It's a real looker, and smaller than I thought. I may order another one and convert it to .32 S&W Long. The price is right!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Update: Got my Nagant revolver the other day. It is in pristine condition. It's a real looking, and smaller than I thought. I may order another one and convert it to .32 S&W Long. The price is right!
Let us know how it shoots/functions if you go that route and it's not just relegated to becoming a paperweight. Also, that ammo question after you know how available it is .... just curious. :) C&R, I presume ???