• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Clue in Amelia Earhart Disappearance

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Now here's something worth talking about. I've been studying this for years ... and I agree, it's interesting. There's a lot more to the story than meets the eye, IMO. Consider the period and what was going on in the Pacific and in the Japanese Mandates.

But then ... that's what makes for a good mystery that has lasted 70 years ... :)

The AP story has errors and errors of omission in it ... so take it for what it's worth; i.e., typical, superficial media blather .... but the real story is fascinating.

amelianoonangy7.jpg
uscgcitascalb5.jpg
gardnerislandbo2.jpg

Left to right .... Fred Noonan (former PAA chief navigator) and Amelia Earhart, USCGC Itasca, Gardner (now Nikumaroro) Island ...

phrogpilot73

My personal opinion is that it's like the Kennedy assasination - it wil never be solved (although I have my opinion in both regards)

larbear

FOSx1000
pilot
For all the times I've heard about Earhart, only rarely have I heard anything of the navigator. I guess it sounds like more of a feat for a lady to keep the wings level and nose up going around the world than for a man to navigate around the world? Just curious why the story would be any more about Earhart than it is about Noonan.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Why are so many people fascinated by a huge failure? I would be fascinated if she actually made it.
I suspect that it's because she was a media "darling" of the day (an early version of "I am woman hear me roar" ... ) and she was a favorite of Eleanor Roosevelt ... and then there's always been the conjecture and speculation surrounding the purported "mission behind the mission "... lots of radio records confiscated/missing after the event.

Like I say ... makes for an interesting story/mystery.